London Banter

-   -   Thomas Goes Underground (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3518-thomas-goes-underground.html)

Neillw001 October 10th 05 03:12 PM

Thomas Goes Underground

Get ready for another tidal wave of overpriced merchandise. Good job I
haven't got kids.

Neill

Mal October 10th 05 08:52 PM

Thomas Goes Underground

We might get that put in the T/Ops messroom. we have a large TV that would
be perfect.

As for our line being like a caring Grandmother.....
Mal

oups.com...

Ian Jelf October 10th 05 11:05 PM

Thomas Goes Underground

In message .com,
Neillw001 writes

Get ready for another tidal wave of overpriced merchandise. Good job I
haven't got kids.

I like the idea of the "personalities" for each line. Other ideas
could include:

Northern (flat cap wearing Rugby League fan)

Metropolitan (suburban-dwelling businessman)

East London (Bengali rag trader)

DLR (City slicker)

Oh and Piccadilly just makes me think of John Rowland's signature.......
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Paul Corfield October 11th 05 05:23 PM

Thomas Goes Underground

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:05:14 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

In message .com,
Neillw001 writes

Get ready for another tidal wave of overpriced merchandise. Good job I
haven't got kids.

I like the idea of the "personalities" for each line. Other ideas
could include:

Northern (flat cap wearing Rugby League fan)

I think people could come up with a lot of personality options for the
Northern Line at present!

Metropolitan (suburban-dwelling businessman)
East London (Bengali rag trader)
DLR (City slicker)

I rather like these ideas.

Oh and Piccadilly just makes me think of John Rowland's signature.......

District Line?
Central Line?

--
Paul C

Sir Benjamin Nunn October 11th 05 05:38 PM

Thomas Goes Underground

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

I like the idea of the "personalities" for each line. Other ideas could
include:

Northern (flat cap wearing Rugby League fan)

Metropolitan (suburban-dwelling businessman)

There could be an ongoing cultural rivalry between the two:

'By 'eck, if it isn't t'Metropolitan Line, with his flash Southern crimson
****e. When I were a lad, workin down t'pit...',

'Oh please, you uncultured provinical oik. I've been an audio conferencing
with the Picc all morning, and Bzzzt, guess what, I don't have a window for
you right now. Here, try some roquette salad',

'Pffttt, in my day all we 'ad to eat were t'whippets an' coal, and we were
grateful for that an' all'

etc.

BTN

Tom Anderson October 11th 05 06:33 PM

Thomas Goes Underground

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:05:14 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

In message .com,
Neillw001 writes

Get ready for another tidal wave of overpriced merchandise. Good job I
haven't got kids.

I like the idea of the "personalities" for each line.

District Line?
Central Line?

To me, the Central is the Essex line, so an estuary-mouthed wideboy.

I don't have a clear mental image of the District; it's the southwest
London line, and i don't know southwest London at all well. Leafy. A bit
slow. Well spaced out. Ah - a dope-addled hippie? That would explain the
reliability of the trains ...

Hammersmith & City line?

tom

--
Buy the kind of capitalism Trotsky would have!

[email protected] October 11th 05 06:46 PM

Thomas Goes Underground

Like "The Tube", more juvenile rubbish.

LU cries out for a serious flt-on-the-wall series, imagine the camera
sitting in on board meeeting during the current Northern Line fiasco,
or post-7/7.

Mal October 11th 05 09:18 PM

Thomas Goes Underground

I think you miss the point. Thats exactly what it is - juvenile. Its for
children. It will not be on TV at prime time.

As for the rubbish buit - loks OK to me.... I bet the same comments came out
about Thomas way back......

Mal

oups.com...

Paul Corfield October 11th 05 10:50 PM

Thomas Goes Underground

On 11 Oct 2005 10:46:14 -0700, wrote:

Like "The Tube", more juvenile rubbish.

As said by someone else - it is for kids. If it's done well I think it
will be very popular. Little kids love the Tube - you only have to see
the regular articles in On the Move magazine about special visits being
arranged for them .

I have to say plenty of adults are fascinated by the Tube as I've
organised a couple of "behind the scenes" trips for friends who have
been bowled over by the excellent reception from front line staff as
well as the experience of cab rides or seeing control rooms etc.

LU cries out for a serious flt-on-the-wall series,

Do you really think so? why?

imagine the camera
sitting in on board meeeting during the current Northern Line fiasco,
or post-7/7.

Why would looking on the aftermath of different forms of "disaster" make
good television? Genuine question btw.
--
Paul C

[email protected] October 12th 05 03:02 AM

Thomas Goes Underground

I think eavesdropping on the boardroom post-7/7 - or after any other
serious incident, would prove far more interesting than watching
individuals saying "can you feel the mind??" on station PA, or telling
the camera they're about to "sweat their ******** off" ticket-checking
at Hyde Park Corner (and then let evaders off in full view). Also a lot
less vouyeristic than the average "blues & twos" type documentry.