Old October 21st 05, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern line trip failures = lots of SPADs

Richard J. wrote:
Boltar wrote:
Idiot admins at work now block all news forums.

Good for them. You complain about the lack of professionalism of LU
drivers, yet expect to swan around at work accessing newsgroups.

Actually , my "swanning around" on newsgroups is 90% work given I work
in IT. And don't bother looking for this id , I usually use a different
one
when posting to work related newsgroups.

LU have said that "maintenance of the Northern line train fleet was not
being done to the correct standards", so perhaps it's not just a design
issue.

Perhaps LU should have their own people inspecting the work instead
of relying on a profit first organisation not to cut corners.

Ah , I needed a good laugh tonight. Real professionals don't
walk out at the drop of a hat.

Hardly at the drop of a hat. This has been going on for weeks. Drivers

Oh please. Want a payrise? Strike. Want some tosser who's been playing
squash when on sick leave back in? Strike. Don't like new working
hours?
Strike. Don't like the mess facilities? Strike. Thats not the behaviour
of professionals , its the behaviour of a bunch of militant feckless
******s.

on NR have AWS and TPWS and in some cases ATP. LU drivers (except
Victoria and Central Lines with ATO) have just trainstops, and if that
doesn't work, there is no secondary protection system. I know you think
that red signals alone should be sufficient, but experience worldwide
indiactes that your view is foolishly complacent.

Funny , since red lights are the only thing many intercity and multi
thousand ton freight trains rely on. And the former go a damn site
faster than the pootling 30mph tube trains manage. Having said that ,
tripcocks are obviously good idea , but then an even better idea is
drivers not going through red lights in the first place. I can spot
a red light half a mile ahead on a dual carraigeway in ****ing rain
on a road I don't even know. I fail to see how hard it can be to see
one
on a railway track the drivers learnt the route rote while doing 30mph
or
less!

B2003

Old October 23rd 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

You can always tell who the ignorant dicks are, on discussions about
railway operations, because they call signals showing a danger aspect
"red lights", as if they are traffic lights. Do they think trains weigh
1 to 40 tons and have rubber tyres rolling on asphalt?

Old October 23rd 05, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

You can always tell who the ignorant dicks are, on discussions about
railway operations, because they call signals showing a danger aspect
"red lights", as if they are traffic lights. Do they think trains weigh
1 to 40 tons and have rubber tyres rolling on asphalt?

Oh I'm sorry , "danger aspect" then if you prefer your
euphamisms. Does that mean it isn't red and you're not
supposed to stop at it as per a road signal? Would explain the
SPADs I suppose wouldn't it. Also FYI , a tube train can
stop in a platform length or less at line speed. Thats about
300 feet or so. Ask a truck driver how far a 40 ton rig takes to
stop from 60 mph on a wet road during an emergency stop.

Incidentaly , why are you calling it a railway , shouldn't
that be saying "permanent way"?

B2003

Old October 23rd 05, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

You can always tell who the ignorant dicks are, on discussions about
railway operations, because they call signals showing a danger aspect
"red lights", as if they are traffic lights. Do they think trains weigh
1 to 40 tons and have rubber tyres rolling on asphalt?

Oh I'm sorry , "danger aspect" then if you prefer your
euphamisms. Does that mean it isn't red and you're not
supposed to stop at it as per a road signal? Would explain the
SPADs I suppose wouldn't it. Also FYI , a tube train can
stop in a platform length or less at line speed. Thats about
300 feet or so. Ask a truck driver how far a 40 ton rig takes to
stop from 60 mph on a wet road during an emergency stop.

Incidentaly , why are you calling it a railway , shouldn't
you be saying "permanent way"?

B2003

Old October 24th 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
You can always tell who the ignorant dicks are, on discussions about
railway operations, because they call signals showing a danger aspect
"red lights", as if they are traffic lights. Do they think trains weigh
1 to 40 tons and have rubber tyres rolling on asphalt?

Oh I'm sorry , "danger aspect" then if you prefer your
euphamisms. Does that mean it isn't red and you're not
supposed to stop at it as per a road signal? Would explain the
SPADs I suppose wouldn't it. Also FYI , a tube train can
stop in a platform length or less at line speed. Thats about
300 feet or so. Ask a truck driver how far a 40 ton rig takes to
stop from 60 mph on a wet road during an emergency stop.

Incidentaly , why are you calling it a railway , shouldn't
that be saying "permanent way"?

B2003

A tube train cannot stop from line speed in the length of a platform,
I've tried it, about 2 cars through!
Old October 25th 05, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , www.waspies.net
writes
A tube train cannot stop from line speed in the length of a platform,
I've tried it, about 2 cars through!

It all depends, a southbound Northern line train running into Hampstead
or Archway flat out with a full load may run a car or two over. A
Central line train empty approaching Leytonstone from the city will stop
half way down the platform.
--
Clive