Old October 16th 05, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bakerloo Line Stock

Dear All

I thought that you might the following of interest that I received from
the dreaded Metronet

It has long been known that the the Bakerloo Line is to the last for
new trains
What worries me is the the lack of clear plans for further
refurbishment work or improvements to the 1972 stock used on this
line.
What about plans plans for
-dot matrix in carriages
-improved ventilation

Any thoughts about
-other improvements that should be sort ?
-how passengers might campaign ?

Best wishes

Neil

Dear Cllr Nerva

We met briefly at the Labour Party Conference in Brighton. You had an
enquiry relating to the Bakerloo line rolling stock upgrade.

Metronet plans to deliver a Line Upgrade for the Bakerloo Line in 2019
with new rolling stock and signalling, a year in advance of the
required London Underground (LU) implementation date. This will
include a new fleet of 42 x 7 car trains. All the current signal
equipment will be replaced with ATP Distance To Go Signalling for the
length of line owned by LU. This will deliver the LU capability
enhancement requirements as specified by LU in the PPP Contract.

Our maintenance regime will ensure that the existing rolling stock and
signalling system has sufficient residual life to safely supply London
Underground with the required capability and service levels until the
latest implementation date of March 2020. The Bakerloo Line rolling
stock entered service in 1972 and was given a major overhaul and
modernisation between 1991 - 1995.

There are a number of projects ongoing to improve the performance and
appearance of the Bakerloo line which has been running well within the
benchmark set out by the PPP Contract. These projects have enabled LUL
to run additional trains during the peak and off peak services,
improving train availability for the travelling public. Deep cleans
and enhanced cleaning programmes for trains and stations, coupled with
Metronet's continued commitment to zero tolerance of graffiti have all
improved the public's perception of the cleanliness and condition of
assets on the Bakerloo Line.

Metronet continues to seek and target improvements to all aspects of
the Bakerloo line to improve asset reliability, ultimately allowing LU
to provide a faster and more efficient railway. Some of the current
initiatives in support of this aim a

· Overhaul of Bakerloo Line fleet doors to reduce failures in
service and support other initiatives in increasing overall line
capability

· Ongoing condition improvements to large sections of the
Bakerloo Line track ultimately to reduce failures but also to remove
noise complaints and prolong the life of the assets. Across the
Bakerloo, Central and Victoria lines we aim to renew 16.5km of track in
the 05/06 financial year, which come to an end 31 March 2006.

If you have any other questions or issues to raise, please do contact
me.

Old October 16th 05, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Oct 2005 08:01:49 -0700, "cllr neil nerva - brent council -
london" wrote:

Metronet plans to deliver a Line Upgrade for the Bakerloo Line in 2019

So we might get it by 2025, if we're lucky.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old October 16th 05, 06:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Metronet plans to deliver a Line Upgrade for the Bakerloo Line in 2019
with new rolling stock and signalling, a year in advance of the
required London Underground (LU) implementation date.

A whole year? Wow!

Does anyone find it funny that some people will religiously change
their car after 12-36 months, while these trains will be FORTY SEVEN
years old when they finally get replaced?

I presume they must be getting another refurbishment in that time? The
Victoria/Bakerloo interior is pretty good, but it won't last another 14
years!

Information screens are a must I would have thought - and something to
be added now, not in 2019.

Jonathan

Old October 16th 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Does anyone find it funny that some people will religiously change
their car after 12-36 months, while these trains will be FORTY SEVEN
years old when they finally get replaced?

47 years is barely run in. The previous Bakerloo stock is still going strong
in the Isle of Wight, almost 70 years old.

Chris

Old October 16th 05, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Oct 2005 11:47:27 -0700, wrote:

Metronet plans to deliver a Line Upgrade for the Bakerloo Line in 2019
with new rolling stock and signalling, a year in advance of the
required London Underground (LU) implementation date.

A whole year? Wow!

At least they are aiming to complete early. Any line upgrade is a huge
undertaking and a year off the programme will be some achievement.

Does anyone find it funny that some people will religiously change
their car after 12-36 months, while these trains will be FORTY SEVEN
years old when they finally get replaced?

A car is not a train.

The main issue is that each line has to be upgraded and one line has to
be last. That is the Bakerloo and it was a LU decision to time it for
2019 not a Metronet one. There is only so much workload that both LU
and the Infracos can cope with in terms of supporting projects of this
scale while maintaining services. The involvement of Network Rail and
all of the integration issues surrounding signalling and control systems
as well as the rolling stock does not make the Bakerloo Line an easy
line to tackle.

I presume they must be getting another refurbishment in that time? The
Victoria/Bakerloo interior is pretty good, but it won't last another 14
years!
Information screens are a must I would have thought - and something to
be added now, not in 2019.

If there is another upgrade then it would involve the provision of
customer info displays etc. I shall need to check if one is included in
the BCV contract or not.
--
Paul C