London Banter

-   -   When could you change to the Metropolitan at Aldgate East? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3546-when-could-you-change-metropolitan.html)

John October 25th 05 08:36 PM

When could you change to the Metropolitan at Aldgate East?

I caught a District from Barking to West Ham this evening (one of the
refurbs) and looking out the window at East Ham noticed that the Next
Train display told me that it was District for Tower Hill and Victoria
(I think) but then at the bottom said "Change at Aldgate East for
Metropolitan trains". I checked at Upton Park and it said the same.

I can't remember when Metropolitan trains went to Aldgate East...
--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail

www.waspies.net October 25th 05 08:44 PM

John wrote:
I caught a District from Barking to West Ham this evening (one of the
refurbs) and looking out the window at East Ham noticed that the Next
Train display told me that it was District for Tower Hill and Victoria
(I think) but then at the bottom said "Change at Aldgate East for
Metropolitan trains". I checked at Upton Park and it said the same.

I can't remember when Metropolitan trains went to Aldgate East...

That sign is from before the Hot and Cold was formed when it was still
the Met.

Joe Patrick October 29th 05 11:29 PM

When could you change to the Metropolitan at Aldgate East?

I can't remember when Metropolitan trains went to Aldgate East...

Could have been from when the Hammersmith & City was part of the Met
Line? It changed in 1990 IIRC.
--
Joe Patrick
Railways Online - for GB railway news, information & photos

Matthew P Jones October 30th 05 10:34 AM

When could you change to the Metropolitan at Aldgate East?

on Sat, 29 Oct 2005 -
I can't remember when Metropolitan trains went to Aldgate East...

Could have been from when the Hammersmith & City was part of the Met
Line? It changed in 1990 IIRC.

There was also I believe an Uxbridge / Barking service at one time
--
Matthew P Jones - www.amersham.org.uk
My view of the Metropolitan Line www.metroland.org.uk - actually I like it

Colin Rosenstiel October 30th 05 11:52 AM

When could you change to the Metropolitan at Aldgate East?

In article ,
(Matthew P Jones) wrote:

wrote on Sat, 29 Oct 2005 -
I can't remember when Metropolitan trains went to Aldgate East...

Could have been from when the Hammersmith & City was part of the Met
Line? It changed in 1990 IIRC.

There was also I believe an Uxbridge / Barking service at one time

Not since the end of steam on the Met.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Chris Tolley November 1st 05 03:55 PM

John wrote:

I can't remember when Metropolitan trains went to Aldgate East...

I can. When I lived in East London in the early 1980's, there were a
couple of morning peak services from Barking , with a couple of
corresponding ones in the evening.

There will have been others in the past as well, because the East London
Line was part of the Met and used to have through services (well before
my time).
--
Definitely one of my favourite pictures
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9633104.html