London Banter

-   -   Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/356-will-travelcard-zone-6-ever.html)

Nick July 17th 03 10:44 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

And to include Swanley?. Both stations are within the M25 area and are
included in the Freedom Pass area (and quite sensibly too...)

Dartford in particular is an important interchange for the three lines to
the west through Bexley.

When I asked Bexley and Dartford councils ages ago, their view that it's
"nothing to do with us, contact TfL". Similarly Connex were not interested
and directed me to TfL. After a very lengthy period, TfL replied and said
they completely agree that Dartford is an important interchange station for
lines serving Bexley, but it was strictly outside the "Greater London" area
and it "wouldn't be appropriate" to use GLA funds to pay for an expansion of
Zone 6 by compensating Connex for any loss of revenue.

Are there any precedents for stations outside the Greater London boundary
being in the Travelcard area?

Nick

John Rowland July 17th 03 11:14 PM

"Nick" wrote in message

Are there any precedents for stations outside the Greater London boundary
being in the Travelcard area?

Moor Park. I think Elstree might be as well.

The Epping Forest stations are also within the zones, but I think that the
council pays TfL for that.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Peter Masson July 17th 03 11:25 PM

"Nick" wrote in message
And to include Swanley?. Both stations are within the M25 area and are
included in the Freedom Pass area (and quite sensibly too...)

Dartford in particular is an important interchange for the three lines to
the west through Bexley.

Are there any precedents for stations outside the Greater London boundary
being in the Travelcard area?

Thames Ditton and Hampton Court stations are outside the GL boundary, and
when teh zonal scheme came in were outside the Travelcard boundary, but this
was quickly amended to include them.

Grange Hill, Chigwell, Roding Valley and Loughton are olutside GL, but have
always been included within Zone 6. Zone 6 has subsequently been extended to
include the Loughton - Epping section of the Central Line.

Elstree is outside GL, but is now within Zone 6.

You can get to Dartford or Swanley using a Travelcard, but you have to
travel by bus. The Cannon Street - Sidcup - Abbey Wood - Cannon Street
roundabout trains stray across the GL boundary between Crayford and Slade
Green, but a Zone 6 Travelcard is valid.

Peter

Peter Masson July 17th 03 11:56 PM

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Nick" wrote in message

Are there any precedents for stations outside the Greater London

boundary
being in the Travelcard area?

Moor Park. I think Elstree might be as well.

The Epping Forest stations are also within the zones, but I think that the
council pays TfL for that.

Thames Ditton and Hampton Court - they weren't included when the zones came
in, but were added shortly afterwards.

The Cannon St - Sidcup - Abbey Wood - Cannon St roundabouts stray outside
Greater London between Crayford and Slade Green, but Travelcards are valid.

You can get to Dartford or Swanley on a travelcard, but you have to go by
bus.

Peter

Richard J. July 18th 03 01:07 AM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

"Dave" wrote in message
On SWT, Thames Ditton, Hampton Court and Stoneleigh are outside Greater
London. (Curiously Whyteleafe *could* just about be in Greater London,
but is outside Z6).

Unless the platforms are very long, Whyteleafe station is (just) outside
Greater London, as shown at
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...&z=1&st=4&ar=N
--
Richard J.

Dave July 18th 03 01:31 AM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

Richard J. writes

"Dave" wrote in message
On SWT, Thames Ditton, Hampton Court and Stoneleigh are outside Greater
London. (Curiously Whyteleafe *could* just about be in Greater London,
but is outside Z6).

Unless the platforms are very long, Whyteleafe station is (just) outside
Greater London, as shown at
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...&z=1&st=4&ar=N

It's a very close run thing.

To fit a 12-car train, the platforms would have to be at least 240m long
- assuming 20m per carriage. If built for 23m carriages it would need
to be 276m long.

At a rough guess (after looking at the map) a 250m long platform would
easily reach the boundary into Greater London - although it doesn't help
that the boundary line is about 50m wide, according to the map!

So to make the station outside the zones is *really* mean.

--
Dave

Nick July 18th 03 08:50 AM

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

Hmm, I can't understand why they won't consider inclusion of Dartford then.
Is it relatively a lot more expensive to include a national rail station
just outside then a tube station just outside? I guess so.

Dartford is such an important interchange for lines through an outer London
borough. The case is compelling, but TfL won't hear of it.

Actually, I can't believe it would actually cost *that* much in the grand
scheme of the TfL budget and would actually make a real difference for us
Z1-6 Travelcard holders...

Nick

Ben Nunn July 18th 03 09:36 AM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Nick ),
in message who said:
"Peter Masson" wrote in message

Dartford is such an important interchange for lines through an outer
London borough. The case is compelling, but TfL won't hear of it.

Actually, I can't believe it would actually cost *that* much in the
grand scheme of the TfL budget and would actually make a real
difference for us Z1-6 Travelcard holders...

It might cost *that* much if they have to give up the £2.50 made every time
someone with travelcard 1-6 cover wants to go there - as I did last
Saturday.

That's ridiculous, it really is. For half the cost of a 1-6 travelcard, and
all day travel across the entire capital, you get a return ticket from the
boundary to Dartford.

If anything, it would be more profitable for TfL to create more unzoned
enclaves, within the existing zonal system. Take Clapham Junction out of the
zones for example. They could make a fortune.

BTN

Dave July 18th 03 10:12 AM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

Ben Nunn writes
It might cost *that* much if they have to give up the £2.50 made every
time someone with travelcard 1-6 cover wants to go there - as I did
last Saturday.

That's ridiculous, it really is. For half the cost of a 1-6 travelcard,
and all day travel across the entire capital, you get a return ticket
from the boundary to Dartford.

If anything, it would be more profitable for TfL to create more unzoned
enclaves, within the existing zonal system. Take Clapham Junction out
of the zones for example. They could make a fortune.

And pray tell, precisely what do TfL have to do with the cost of a
boundary Z6 to Dartford ticket?

--
Dave

D7666 July 18th 03 12:17 PM

"Nick" wrote in message

And to include Swanley?. Both stations are within the M25 area and are
included in the Freedom Pass area (and quite sensibly too...)

Dartford in particular is an important interchange for the three lines to
the west through Bexley.

The problem with this is where will it end.

If zone 6 is extended to include stations which are currently just
outside the existing area, then any stations which then lie outsdie an
enlarged area look as if they can be justified too.

IMHO, what needs to be looked at is not extending B6, but making a new
B7 as a new outer ring in the zone systems.

Else one ends up with the TC extending across the entire south east.
Such a ticket across the south east is probably needed, but then
starts to get complex.

Robert Woolley July 18th 03 08:11 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:25:28 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Masson"
wrote:

You can get to Dartford or Swanley using a Travelcard, but you have to
travel by bus. The Cannon Street - Sidcup - Abbey Wood - Cannon Street
roundabout trains stray across the GL boundary between Crayford and Slade
Green, but a Zone 6 Travelcard is valid.

Peter

You can get to Slough (route 81), Dorking (route 465), Redhill (route
405) and Watford Junction (routes 142/258) by Travelcard - but only on
the bus...

Rob.
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

Peter Masson July 19th 03 08:46 AM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

"Charles Ellson" wrote in message
On Thursday, in article

"Nick" wrote:

Are there any precedents for stations outside the Greater London

boundary
being in the Travelcard area?

Mainly the Met Line past Northwood, but if you were to consider buses
also, then there are dozens, some for considerable distances (e.g.
St Albans).

As explained elsewhere in this thread, the only Met Line station outside
Greater London but within Travelcard Zone 6 is Moor Park. Special fares
apply to stations beyond Moor Park. Quite a bit of the easternm end of the
Central Line is outside Greater London, but it has been brought into Zone 6
right out to Epping. See elsewhere in the thread for NR stations within Zone
6 but outside Greater London.

Peter

Matthew Dickinson July 19th 03 09:06 AM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 04:51:47 +0000 (UTC),
(Charles Ellson) wrote:

On Thursday, in article

"Nick" wrote:

Are there any precedents for stations outside the Greater London boundary
being in the Travelcard area?

Mainly the Met Line past Northwood, but if you were to consider buses
also, then there are dozens, some for considerable distances (e.g.
St Albans).

You can't get to St. Albans with a Travelcard. The availability on the
84 finishes at Potters Bar.

Dave July 19th 03 09:41 AM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

Charles Ellson writes
What 'obsession' is this?

The same obsession which runs parallel to claiming to be the "capital
city" and naming the county hall "City Hall" when GL isn't a city.

What else can they call it? It's not a county - and in any event
there's already a place called County Hall.

It has also spread to road signs where various places have been
omitted/deleted and replaced by compass-point London where the road
doesn't even lead to London or to a sensible approach route for the
signed part of London.snip

If you think a sign is misleading or inaccurate, then take it up with
TfL of your local Borough as appropriate.

Of course what you think of as a sensible route and what others think of
as a sensible route may be completely different.

--
Dave

Dave July 19th 03 10:24 AM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

Charles Ellson writes
Are there any precedents for stations outside the Greater London boundary
being in the Travelcard area?

Mainly the Met Line past Northwood,

Only Moor Park. There are many others, examples of which have been
posted here.

but if you were to consider buses also, then there are dozens, some for
considerable distances (e.g. St Albans).

84 isn't a TfL route (and hasn't been a 'London' route for many, many
years), but is a commercial service operated by Metroline. I wouldn't
have thought that Travelcards & Freedom Passes would be valid all the
way to St Albans - Potters Bar is more likely to be the limit of
validity.

Compare with 81 to Slough, which is a TfL route.

--
Dave

Bondee July 19th 03 05:34 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

"Dave" wrote in message
Charles Ellson writes
Are there any precedents for stations outside the Greater London

boundary
being in the Travelcard area?

Mainly the Met Line past Northwood,

Only Moor Park. There are many others, examples of which have been
posted here.

but if you were to consider buses also, then there are dozens, some for
considerable distances (e.g. St Albans).

84 isn't a TfL route (and hasn't been a 'London' route for many, many
years), but is a commercial service operated by Metroline. I wouldn't
have thought that Travelcards & Freedom Passes would be valid all the
way to St Albans - Potters Bar is more likely to be the limit of
validity.

Compare with 81 to Slough, which is a TfL route.

Is that the route that (near enough) follows the A4 from Hounslow?

Robert Woolley July 19th 03 06:43 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:34:32 +0100, "Bondee"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
Charles Ellson writes
Are there any precedents for stations outside the Greater London

boundary
being in the Travelcard area?

Mainly the Met Line past Northwood,

Only Moor Park. There are many others, examples of which have been
posted here.

but if you were to consider buses also, then there are dozens, some for
considerable distances (e.g. St Albans).

84 isn't a TfL route (and hasn't been a 'London' route for many, many
years), but is a commercial service operated by Metroline. I wouldn't
have thought that Travelcards & Freedom Passes would be valid all the
way to St Albans - Potters Bar is more likely to be the limit of
validity.

Compare with 81 to Slough, which is a TfL route.

Is that the route that (near enough) follows the A4 from Hounslow?

It follows the _old_ A4 via Colnbrook.

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

John Rowland July 21st 03 01:32 AM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

"Steve Naïve" wrote in message
Robert Woolley wrote in
:

You can get to Slough (route 81), Dorking (route 465),
Redhill (route 405) and Watford Junction (routes 142/258)
by Travelcard - but only on the bus...

That's fantastic - all the way to Slough (and back) for £2
from south London, in about 2 hours.

GBP2 buys a Bus Pass, not a Travelcard.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

John Rowland July 21st 03 01:34 AM

wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

Compare with 81 to Slough, which is a TfL route.

Is that the route that (near enough) follows the A4 from Hounslow?

It follows the _old_ A4 via Colnbrook.

And via Hounslow!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Peter Smyth July 21st 03 02:22 AM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"D7666" wrote in message
om...

The problem with this is where will it end.

If zone 6 is extended to include stations which are currently
just outside the existing area, then any stations which then lie
outsdie an enlarged area look as if they can be justified too.

There are few places where a train journey from one part of the zone system
to another can be most quickly performed by going outside the zones.
Dartford and Epsom are the only two obvious ones: perhaps Cheshunt and

Epsom
Downs / Tattenham Corner as well.

St Mary Cray - Knockholt (via Sevenoaks)?

Peter Smyth

Ronnie Clark July 21st 03 05:25 AM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

a decent map, you'll find much of its' boundary is "natural" otherwise
it would be a much more regular shape than it is. If you want a good
example of "man-made" boundaries, then look at a map of the USA - it has
plenty of straight lines seperating states.

Look, I first want to apologise. It's that time of the day where the
frequency of postings is so low that I read every single one if I'm about.
Also, I'm getting grouchy due to the time of day. So my apology is for this
unnecessary and pedantic posting to point out two grammatical errors. But I
really do have NOTHING better to do.

The use of its' (sic) is incorrect. Even "it's" would be incorrect in this
case as for some bizarre reason which no one has ever explained, "its", in
possessive pronoun form (ie, the dog wags its tail) has no apostrophe.

Also, something I've never forgotten from way back in those GCSE History
lessons is our nice friendly History teacher telling us that there is "'a
rat' in separate".

Well that's about 5 minutes of time where I wasn't 100% bored... My boredom
levels have now receded to only 86%.

Ronnie
--
http://www.blugman.freeserve.co.uk

As the wise man says:
"Remember - there is no more important safety rule than to wear these:
safety glasses"

Christopher Allen July 21st 03 07:06 AM

In article , John Rowland wrote:

GBP2 buys a Bus Pass, not a Travelcard.

Is there a difference between where you can go on the bus with a zones
1-4 buspass, and where you can go with a travelcard?

Christopher

--
Christopher Allen . + . -===""===- c==== .
email: * . . \ \____}}

Matthew Malthouse July 21st 03 02:46 PM

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 06:25:06 +0100 Ronnie Clark wrote:
}
} The use of its' (sic) is incorrect. Even "it's" would be incorrect in this
} case as for some bizarre reason which no one has ever explained, "its", in
} possessive pronoun form (ie, the dog wags its tail) has no apostrophe.

Neither his nor hers has an apostrophe. Yours doesn't and mine doesn't.
While theirs too has a conspicuous absence of them.

Why then should its not having one be bizarre?

Matthew
--
Il est important d'être un homme ou une femme en colère; le jour où nous
quitte la colère, ou le désir, c'est cuit. - Barbara

http://www.calmeilles.co.uk/

Matthew Malthouse July 21st 03 05:23 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:07:20 +0100 Steve Naïve wrote:
} Matthew Malthouse wrote in
} :
}
} On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 06:25:06 +0100 Ronnie Clark wrote:
} }
} } The use of its' (sic) is incorrect. Even "it's" would be incorrect
} in this } case as for some bizarre reason which no one has ever
} explained, "its", in } possessive pronoun form (ie, the dog wags its
} tail) has no apostrophe.
}
} Neither his nor hers has an apostrophe. Yours doesn't and mine
} doesn't. While theirs too has a conspicuous absence of them.
}
} You missed 'whose' and 'ours' as well.

Ours, and the others mentioned, are (absolute) posessive pronouns.

Whose, along with that, what, which, who and whom, are relative
pronouns.

The man whose post that was - relative
Was that your post - posessive.

} Perhaps the 'odd one out' isn't 'its' but 'one' (the genitive situation
} being one's). Or maybe 'one' isn't really a pronoun?

Its is an odd one.

That is my book that book is mine - posessive and absolute
possive bot correct in
usage.
That is its tail that tail is its - Technically correct the
latter construnction is not
good usage.

You're right. "one" is odd too. Sometimes it's a pronoun (the
impersonal pronoun) and sometimes it's not. There wouldn't be a
problem if we'd retained the habit of using the corresponding part of a
persona pronoun when one required a possessive, reflexive or deputy
pronoun:
One does not like to have his [or their] word doubted.
UK usage had mostly and US usage increasingly replaceed this with
One does not like to have one's...
the invention of a possessive and the form of that invention being
apostrophised are modern aberations.

Oh hell. Which idot got me started on this....

Matthew
--

http://www.calmeilles.co.uk/

Dave July 21st 03 07:06 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

Charles Ellson writes
Charles Ellson writes
What 'obsession' is this?

The same obsession which runs parallel to claiming to be the "capital
city" and naming the county hall "City Hall" when GL isn't a city.

What else can they call it?

Anything that doesn't describe it as something it isn't.

Whatever.

It's not a county

So what's the difference between now and 1965?

The building in London called County Hall is used for other purposes.
The GLC took over the LCC's County Hall.

- and in any event there's already a place called County Hall.

There are lots of places called "County Hall" - roughly one in each
er.... county.

Jolly good.

It has also spread to road signs where various places have been
omitted/deleted and replaced by compass-point London where the road
doesn't even lead to London or to a sensible approach route for the
signed part of London.snip

If you think a sign is misleading or inaccurate, then take it up with
TfL of your local Borough as appropriate.

You won't normally find "London" as a destination on a burgh road, and
TfL don't operate outwith Greater London unless you know of any secret
empire-building planned by Ken.

I don't see what relevance any of that has to what precedes it.

--
Dave

Dave July 21st 03 07:39 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

John Rowland writes
You can get to Slough (route 81), Dorking (route 465),
Redhill (route 405) and Watford Junction (routes 142/258)
by Travelcard - but only on the bus...

That's fantastic - all the way to Slough (and back) for £2
from south London, in about 2 hours.

GBP2 buys a Bus Pass, not a Travelcard.

Makes no odds, One Day Bus Passes also valid on TfL routes outside
Greater London.

(In fact any 'all-zones' bus pass is valid on such services - as are
*all* Travelcards, irrespective of zonal validity.)

--
Dave

PRAR July 21st 03 07:45 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

And lo, "Nick" spake unto us all
anouncing
Actually, I can't believe it would actually cost *that* much in the grand
scheme of the TfL budget and would actually make a real difference for us
Z1-6 Travelcard holders...

Why not just have zone 7? You could put all the tube ABCD
zones into it, move the stations that are actually outside
Z6 into it and fix a few other anomalies.

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. Dick Cavett

Clive D. W. Feather July 22nd 03 06:50 AM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

In article , Ronnie Clark
writes
It is the whole region of possessive pronouns not having apostrophes that I
consider bizarre when for nouns apostrophes are used precisely for
indicating possession!

It isn't bizarre. You simply have a wrong mental model of the situation.
Apostrophes are *not* used for indicating possession, they are used for
indicating missing letters. So:

do not - don't
cannot - can't
it is - it's but its (possessive)
he is - he's but his (possessive)
friendes - friend's but friends (plural)

Where did "persones" come from, I hear you ask? English was previously a
much more inflected language than it is now. In particular, it had a
separate genitive case which ended "-es" in the singular and "-se" or
"-ses" in the plural. Over time the "e" stopped being sounded and the
letter started to be omitted in response. So it is replaced by an
apostrophe.

Pronouns are whole words - I me my mine, he him his, it its - and aren't
missing letters. So no apostrophe.

Possessives of nouns are abbreviations of the old genitive case, so
they're missing letters, so need an apostrophe.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Graham Murray July 22nd 03 06:02 PM

In uk.railway, (PRAR) writes:

Why not just have zone 7? You could put all the tube ABCD
zones into it, move the stations that are actually outside
Z6 into it and fix a few other anomalies.

As well as making a good excuse for increasing the price of an
all-zone travelcard.

Nick Pedley July 23rd 03 10:27 AM

"Graham Murray" wrote in message
In uk.railway, (PRAR) writes:

Why not just have zone 7? You could put all the tube ABCD
zones into it, move the stations that are actually outside
Z6 into it and fix a few other anomalies.

As well as making a good excuse for increasing the price of an
all-zone travelcard.

And twenty years down the line Edinburgh and Glasgow are in Zone 15..... ;-)

Nick

K July 23rd 03 01:27 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 07:50:44 +0100, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

It isn't bizarre. You simply have a wrong mental model of the situation.
Apostrophes are *not* used for indicating possession,

Well, according to the dictionary, they are.....

PRAR July 23rd 03 07:06 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

And lo, Graham Murray spake unto
us all anouncing

In uk.railway, (PRAR) writes:

Why not just have zone 7? You could put all the tube ABCD
zones into it, move the stations that are actually outside
Z6 into it and fix a few other anomalies.

As well as making a good excuse for increasing the price of an
all-zone travelcard.

Yep, you'd not be able to get the Z1-6 daily just the Z1-7.
You may need to keep the Z1-4 (it's basically an all zone
bus pass with a bit of rail validity) and the Z1-2). The
Z2-7 would replace the Z2-6 with comensurate price rise.

Does the travelcard revenue cover it's costs or is it
supported through national (SRA) and local (TFL) government
subsidy? If it's supported then some input from the other
local authorities will be required (which I can't see them
stumping up voluntarily), but if it's the reverse then why
not.

I'd try to include Caterham, Tattenham Corner, Epsom Downs,
Watford, St Albans, Dartford, Staines, Chafford Hundred and
Cheshunt in zone 7 for starters. Windsor, Woking, Slough,
etc may be a bit too far though.

PRAR

Dave July 23rd 03 07:16 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

PRAR writes
You may need to keep the Z1-4 (it's basically an all zone bus pass with
a bit of rail validity)

The Z1 Travelcard can be described as "an all-zone bus pass with a bit
of rail validity". The Z1-4 gives a *lot* of rail validity.

*All* Travelcards, irrespective of their zonal validity, can be used
throughout the TfL bus network.

--
Dave

K July 24th 03 10:15 AM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:45:55 +0000 (UTC), Mike Bristow
wrote:

It isn't bizarre. You simply have a wrong mental model of the situation.
Apostrophes are *not* used for indicating possession,

Well, according to the dictionary, they are.....

According to the dictionary, spelt is spelt 'kljsajhsajkhsajh'.

????

But my dictionay isn't very good. Which dictionary are you using?

Collins English Dictionary - "Apostrophe n. the punctuation mark '
used to indicate the ommission of a letter or a number..... also used
in English to form the possessive"

K July 25th 03 04:04 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:19:15 +0100, Dave
wrote:

The same obsession which runs parallel to claiming to be the "capital
city"

What's wrong with that?

and naming the county hall "City Hall"

as has been explained "County Hall" is elsewhere.

when GL isn't a city.

nor is it a county

It has also spread to road signs where various places have been
omitted/deleted and replaced by compass-point London where the road
doesn't even lead to London or to a sensible approach route for the
signed part of London.

Can you give an example, please?

Dave July 25th 03 05:41 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

K writes
wrote:

Can you give an example, please?

Please be careful with your attributions - none of the words you quoted
were mine.

--
Dave

John Rowland July 27th 03 09:38 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

"Charles Ellson" wrote in message

previous examples exist in the way that previous managements
gave districts of Paris and Moscow numbers in lieu of names

I thought Parisian districts were given numbers because the pre-existing
neighbourhoods and road layout were demolished so thoroughly under Hausmann
that keeping the old names was pointless?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

K July 28th 03 01:39 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

K writes
wrote:

Can you give an example, please?

Please be careful with your attributions - none of the words you quoted
were mine.

Well, it looked like they were from you - there were no indictaiopns
that you had quoted them.

Dave July 28th 03 01:56 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

K writes
Please be careful with your attributions - none of the words you quoted
were mine.

Well, it looked like they were from you - there were no indictaiopns
that you had quoted them.

No indications?!?!? Can you read?

--
Dave

K July 28th 03 04:54 PM

Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:56:02 +0100, Dave
wrote:

K writes
Please be careful with your attributions - none of the words you quoted
were mine.

Well, it looked like they were from you - there were no indictaiopns
that you had quoted them.

No indications?!?!? Can you read?

Sorry for misquoting you but in your message you said

-----------quoted bit cut & pasted--------------------
The same obsession which runs parallel to claiming to be the "capital
city" and naming the county hall "City Hall" when GL isn't a city. It
has also spread to road signs where various places have been
omitted/deleted and replaced by compass-point London where the road
doesn't even lead to London or to a sensible approach route for the
signed part of London.
----------end of quoted bit

As you see, there are no marks preceding the lines to show it was a
quote.

Looking back at the thread I see that it _was_ a quote, so I once
again apologize for misquoting you.