Old October 30th 05, 12:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Will an oyster card work for me?

This week, I'm travelling from Rugby to Euston and back with Virgin
every day. I will then need to make a daily return trip from Euston
underground to Westminster underground.

Would it be cheaper to buy 5 x daily zone 1 return tickets or an Oyster
card? I've no idea how Oyster works - can I buy it at Euston tomorrow
morning and do I simply put money onto it, i.e. pre-pay? Does this
method work out cheaper than buying ordinary single/returns?

Thanks

Old October 30th 05, 12:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

"Miss Uk Railway" wrote in message
ups.com...
This week, I'm travelling from Rugby to Euston and back with Virgin
every day. I will then need to make a daily return trip from Euston
underground to Westminster underground.

Would it be cheaper to buy 5 x daily zone 1 return tickets or an Oyster
card? I've no idea how Oyster works - can I buy it at Euston tomorrow
morning and do I simply put money onto it, i.e. pre-pay? Does this
method work out cheaper than buying ordinary single/returns?

Thanks

If you buy tickets each day they will cost £2 each way. £2 x 10 = £20

If you use Oyster prepay you will pay a £3 deposit and the tickets will
cost £1.70 each = £17 + £3 = £20

If you buy a weekly ticket on Oyster for Zone 1 it will be £18.50 and
there will be no deposit (a special offer at the moment) = £18.50

You can buy the Oyster Card at Euston station or if you had thought
about it earlier you could have bought it at www.oystercard.com and
had it sent to your home address - avoiding queuing even once.

Old October 30th 05, 12:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message . com, at
05:07:18 on Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Miss Uk Railway
remarked:
This week, I'm travelling from Rugby to Euston and back with Virgin
every day. I will then need to make a daily return trip from Euston
underground to Westminster underground.

Would it be cheaper to buy 5 x daily zone 1 return tickets or an Oyster
card? I've no idea how Oyster works - can I buy it at Euston tomorrow
morning and do I simply put money onto it, i.e. pre-pay?

Yes. Allow the normal queuing time plus ten minutes. Will cost you £3
deposit plus whatever amount of credit you choose to add.

Does this method work out cheaper than buying ordinary single/returns?

Ten singles on paper tickets is £20, on Oyster £17, so you'll break even
in a week. Next time you are in London you'll be saving the 30p each
ticket, and soon saving £1.50 when paper singles go up to £3, and Oyster
falls to £1.50 .
Old October 30th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 30 Oct 2005 05:07:18 -0800, "Miss Uk Railway"
wrote:

This week, I'm travelling from Rugby to Euston and back with Virgin
every day. I will then need to make a daily return trip from Euston
underground to Westminster underground.

It would be cheapest for you to get a weekly Rugby to London season
ticket that includes an all-zones Travelcard (£132.60) rather than
just a Rugby to Euston one (£130.90). This would cover the Underground
journeys too.
Old October 30th 05, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
14:11:00 on Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
In article ,
(Roland Perry) wrote:

[...]

You and "TKD" are wrong of course, for not thinking of combined National
rail and tube tickets. These will always be cheaper.

If it is 5 journeys all in one week, a weekly season from Rugby would be
cheaper too, I expect.

Yes, those probably would be cheaper. (It wasn't the question we were
asked, though).
Old October 30th 05, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Peter Smyth) wrote:

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message
In article ,
(Roland Perry) wrote:

[...]

No you are wrong. A return from Rugby to Zone 1 is exactly £4 more
than a return from Rugby to London Terminals so an Oyster return of
£3.40 will be cheaper.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 30th 05, 02:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"TKD" wrote in message

"Miss Uk Railway" wrote in message
ups.com...
This week, I'm travelling from Rugby to Euston and back with Virgin
every day. I will then need to make a daily return trip from Euston
underground to Westminster underground.

If you buy tickets each day they will cost £2 each way. £2 x 10 = £20

If you use Oyster prepay you will pay a £3 deposit and the tickets will
cost £1.70 each = £17 + £3 = £20

If you buy a weekly ticket on Oyster for Zone 1 it will be £18.50 and
there will be no deposit (a special offer at the moment) = £18.50

Do LUL still do Zone 1 Carnets - if so, how much do they cost? (but see the
response that advises a Travelcard season).

Peter