Old November 28th 05, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

Default NIP: Tower Bridge question

MatSav wrote:
I do not believe there are any speed limits of less than 20mph on
public highways in the UK. I doubt the police can specifically enforce
the lower limits that are often signed on private roads and in car
parks, although they might well be able to arrest you for something
else if they saw your fast driving as dangerous.

Breaking the speed limit is not an "arrestable" offence (unless various
other conditions cannot be met, such as being of "no fixed abode"). However,
being stopped by the police has arrested your high-speed motion :-)

I didn't say speeding was an arrestable offence, only that they might
be able to arrest you for something else which coincides with your
speeding! Police, of course, can stop or direct traffic for just about
any reason whether or not an offence has been committed.

Old November 28th 05, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

I thought there was a recent change in the law to make *all* offences
arrestable.

Correct, see: -
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2005/50015--k.htm#110

Old November 29th 05, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
d d is offline

Default Tower Bridge question

It's quite simple - do as the signs say, and you don't get "stealth taxed".
It's not rocket science.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Brimstone wrote:
James wrote:
I read some previous threads on the speed cams at Tower Bridge, but
they didn't quite answer a query I have, I wondered if any of the
experts on these groups might no. I received a NIP (notice of
intended prosecution) not long ago for doing 32mph and it defines the
speed limit there as 20. I did to be fair see these signs, but always
understood that 30 was the legal minimum speed limit in the UK, and
that therefore signs indicating 20 were advisory. Is this still true?
Does anyone think I can challenge the NIP or the automatic penalty
offer of a delightful 3 points that will inevitably follow on this
type of ground? Anyone know of cases where people have challenged the
Tower Bridge cameras?

Not advisory, mandatory. It's only 30 unless otherwise notified. Pay up
and
take advantage of the generous cash discount. Try and challenge it and
you'll lose. The restriction is there for a reason.

*LMFAO*

Yeah, the reason is to RIP YOU OFF for being a car driver and not
wanting to ride next to exploding pakistanis on public transport

Stealth taxes, CLASS WAR, Social engineering

There's no justification for a 20mph limit here at all

**** the *******s off

It's high time the car driving public, like 20,000,000 voters, showed
these nutty communist ****ers that we wont be spanked for their pimp
money any more

Old November 29th 05, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

*LMFAO*

Yeah, the reason is to RIP YOU OFF for being a car driver and not
wanting to ride next to exploding pakistanis on public transport

Stealth taxes, CLASS WAR, Social engineering

There's no justification for a 20mph limit here at all

**** the *******s off

It's high time the car driving public, like 20,000,000 voters, showed
these nutty communist ****ers that we wont be spanked for their pimp
money any more

Might be fun if they did, but the 20 limit on Tower Bridge is there
only for structural reasons - the old bridge will fall apart if average
speeds get too high.

Old November 29th 05, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

Well there are several cameras on the bridge especially southbound.
I know at least 6 bus drivers that has been prosecuted for this offence (yes
I'm a bus driver).
Unfortunately you have no chance of overturning the NIP as you have no
grounds to appeal on.

Drummie

"James" wrote in message
I read some previous threads on the speed cams at Tower Bridge, but they
didn't quite answer a query I have, I wondered if any of the experts on
these groups might no. I received a NIP (notice of intended prosecution)
not long ago for doing 32mph and it defines the speed limit there as 20. I
did to be fair see these signs, but always understood that 30 was the
legal
minimum speed limit in the UK, and that therefore signs indicating 20 were
advisory. Is this still true? Does anyone think I can challenge the NIP or
the automatic penalty offer of a delightful 3 points that will inevitably
follow on this type of ground? Anyone know of cases where people have
challenged the Tower Bridge cameras?

thanks
James

Careful driver of Vectra SRI 2.2 (really!)

Old November 30th 05, 06:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

In message , at 20:07:13 on
Tue, 29 Nov 2005, David Cantrell remarked:
I do not believe there are any speed limits of less than 20mph on
public highways in the UK.

There is at least one *19* sign in the god-forsaken ****-hole of
Cambourne just off the A428. It looks just like a proper speed limit
sign and there is no indication that it's a private road. I suspect,
however, that someone is Having A Laugh.

The road is probably not yet adopted (or the sign is left over from when
it wasn't). The sign was clearly installed by the developers, and
there's a suggestion that the "19" is a clue that it's unofficial (no
such official sign exists). Whereas putting up an unauthorised "20"
might have landed them in trouble.
Old November 30th 05, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

There is at least one *19* sign in the god-forsaken ****-hole of
Cambourne just off the A428. It looks just like a proper speed limit

Any chance of putting this on your www site ?

Richard [in PE12]
Old November 30th 05, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
eranews.com, at
12:11:16 on Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III
remarked:
There is at least one *19* sign in the god-forsaken ****-hole of
Cambourne just off the A428. It looks just like a proper speed limit

Any chance of putting this on your www site ?

There's a picture he

http://static.flickr.com/7/8836946_b8b863d4e9_m.jpg

(The road doesn't look very adopted to me...)
Old December 1st 05, 07:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message

James wrote:

But I wasn't peeed off with the advice, which was sound, just the
tone you always get around here of hypocritical finger wagging every
time someone brings up a small misdemeanour.

That's the fun of Usenet ;-).In many cases, it's not hypocritical.

I was tired, it was midnight
and I crossed a deserted Tower Bridge at the outrageous and
indeed _criminal_ excess speed of 12mph.

AIUI the limit is there to keep damage to the bridge to a minimum. There
was a suggestion at one time that it should be closed completely (except
possibly for buses and emergency vehicles) to vehicular traffic.

Tower Bridge is part of the Central London Ring Road (and the furthest in
that one can cross the river on the east side without incurring Mad Ken's
"Congestion" Tax). Closing the bridge to vehicular traffic would necessitate
either the Rotherhith Tunnel or London Bridge to be the eastern leg of that
Ring Road, thereby either massively increasing the size of the "Congestion"
Tax zone- or significantly reducing it.

And why were *buses* (of all things) proposed as being among the exceptional
classes of traffic to be allowed to use a closed Tower Bridge? One bus would
cause the same "damage" as thousands of cars.