Old May 9th 04, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "Camera Enforcement" on Tower Bridge

New overhead cameras have gone up on the approaches to Tower Bridge with
signs mentioning camera enforcement. What are they enforcing? The 20mph
speed limit? If so, how - average speed over the bridge?

Thanks for any replies (to the group, not email - it doesn't get read)

Pete

Old May 9th 04, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 09 May 2004 21:34:45 +0100, Pete Boyd wrote:

New overhead cameras have gone up on the approaches to Tower Bridge with
signs mentioning camera enforcement. What are they enforcing? The 20mph
speed limit? If so, how - average speed over the bridge?

Not seen them, but if they look like a camera with two infra-red lamps
beside them, then they're probably SPECS cameras, which do exactly as you
suggest.

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/SPECS.htm has a picture or two.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
Mail me on neil at the above domain; mail to the above address is NOT read

Old May 9th 04, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Pete Boyd" wrote in message
.. .
New overhead cameras have gone up on the approaches to Tower Bridge with
signs mentioning camera enforcement. What are they enforcing? The 20mph
speed limit? If so, how - average speed over the bridge?

Are these in addition to the ones that have been there for a couple of
months or more (three on a gantry, each end of the bridge, two facing one
way, one the other)?

Old May 10th 04, 08:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I remember hearing recently that SPECS cameras were going to be used for the
first time in a 20 mph zone and this was the location for them.

Old May 10th 04, 11:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 09 May 2004 21:34:45 +0100, Pete Boyd wrote:

New overhead cameras have gone up on the approaches to Tower Bridge with
signs mentioning camera enforcement. What are they enforcing? The 20mph
speed limit? If so, how - average speed over the bridge?

Not seen them, but if they look like a camera with two infra-red lamps
beside them, then they're probably SPECS cameras, which do exactly as you
suggest.

That's the ones. Looks like they're front-facing only though so anything
without a front number plate (eg motorbikes) will be immune...?

Pete

Old May 10th 04, 08:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:17:55 +0100, Pete Boyd wrote:

That's the ones. Looks like they're front-facing only though so anything
without a front number plate (eg motorbikes) will be immune...?

I believe so - but if you're a motorcyclist please don't quote me on it
and go and get caught!

This is probably the only problem with SPECS. Otherwise, I am in support
of it, as unlike Gatsos they do not cause a hazard by way of panic braking
(there's no point - if you've reached the second one it's too late).

Neil

Old May 10th 04, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
DJ DJ is offline

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:17:55 +0100, Pete Boyd wrote:

That's the ones. Looks like they're front-facing only though so anything
without a front number plate (eg motorbikes) will be immune...?

I believe so - but if you're a motorcyclist please don't quote me on it
and go and get caught!

This is probably the only problem with SPECS. Otherwise, I am in support
of it, as unlike Gatsos they do not cause a hazard by way of panic braking
(there's no point - if you've reached the second one it's too late).

Neil

Definitely - I tend to stick to speed limits (certainly never more than 5mph
over the limit) and constantly find idiots right up behind me when
travelling over Tower Bridge. On more than one occasion I've even been
overtaken on the *actual bridge*, same with the Rotherhithe Tunnel. Anything
to slow these morons down is fine by me (though not actual Gatsos because
they cause more problems than they're worth).

DJ

Old May 11th 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote in message rg.uk...
On Mon, 10 May 2004 12:17:55 +0100, Pete Boyd wrote:

That's the ones. Looks like they're front-facing only though so anything
without a front number plate (eg motorbikes) will be immune...?

I believe so - but if you're a motorcyclist please don't quote me on it
and go and get caught!

This is probably the only problem with SPECS. Otherwise, I am in support
of it, as unlike Gatsos they do not cause a hazard by way of panic braking
(there's no point - if you've reached the second one it's too late).

I think SPECS are fairer than GATSO too, but only if they are set to
allow a small margin above the limit as GATSO is. If you are in a 30
limit and happen to stray up to 35 at the point of a camera, you can
feel hard done by. But if you *average* 35mph or more over a distance,
you've no real cause to moan, you were genuinely speeding (providing
the limit is properly signed of course).
Old May 14th 04, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corpo...iles/44_04.htm

Old May 14th 04, 11:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"DJ" wrote in message
Neil

Definitely - I tend to stick to speed limits (certainly never more than

5mph
over the limit) and constantly find idiots right up behind me when
travelling over Tower Bridge. On more than one occasion I've even been
overtaken on the *actual bridge*, same with the Rotherhithe Tunnel.

Anything
to slow these morons down is fine by me (though not actual Gatsos because
they cause more problems than they're worth).

DJ

TfL are/will be trialling cameras in the Rotherhithe Tunnel. I think it
will be a part of the refurbishment works planned for the tunnel at some
point soon.

[Squeeeeeeeeek]

---