London Banter

-   -   Commuting from Liverpool Street to Chelmsford (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3657-commuting-liverpool-street-chelmsford.html)

[email protected] December 5th 05 12:13 PM

Commuting from Liverpool Street to Chelmsford

Anyone have any experience of this ? Difficult ?

Tom Anderson December 5th 05 12:37 PM

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 wrote:

Anyone have any experience of this ? Difficult ?

Not personally, but i did Colchester - Liverpool Street for a while, which
was okay. Given that you're going half the distance and against the peak
flow (you do mean Liverpool Street to Chelmsford, right?), you should be
laughing.

tom

--
Not all legislation can be eye-catching, and it is important that the
desire to achieve the headlines does not mean that small but useful

[email protected] December 5th 05 12:50 PM

Commuting from Liverpool Street to Chelmsford

Thanks Tom.

Actually - what I am really interested in is can I do this from SW19
(Wimbledon) ?

Wimbledon - Liverpool Street - Chelmsford.

Sounds horrible - but I wreckon 1.5 hours ???

David Hansen December 5th 05 01:27 PM

Commuting from Liverpool Street to Chelmsford

On 5 Dec 2005 05:13:17 -0800 someone who may be
wrote this:-

Anyone have any experience of this ? Difficult ?

I suggest also asking in uk.railway.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Gizmo December 5th 05 04:21 PM

Commuting from Liverpool Street to Chelmsford

wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone have any experience of this ? Difficult ?

Dead easy. Takes about 35 minutes.

Tom Anderson December 5th 05 05:12 PM

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 wrote:

Actually - what I am really interested in is can I do this from SW19
(Wimbledon) ?

Ah.

Wimbledon - Liverpool Street - Chelmsford.

Sounds horrible - but I wreckon 1.5 hours ???

That sounds broadly right. It's the Wimbledon - Liverpool Street bit
that's going to hurt; once you're at LLS, Bob's your uncle. The obvious
route in is to take the District, then change to the Circle somewhere
before Tower Hill; the other options would involve getting into town and
onto the Central line, but i don't think that's going to be any quicker.

A lot of trains on the Great Eastern stop at Stratford these days; there
might be some advantage in doing Wimbledon - Stratford - Chelmsford;
perhaps a train to Waterloo, then Jubilee line to Stratford. You still
have to ride the peak to Waterloo, and probably to Stratford too, but you
don't have to go via the middle of town.

The good news is that the extra length of your journey, relative to normal
into-London commutes, means that you'll be setting off earlier anyway, so
you might get through town before the worst of the peak hits. If you're
lucky.

tom

--
the logical extension of a zero-infinity nightmare topology

Paul Corfield December 5th 05 06:37 PM

On 5 Dec 2005 05:50:09 -0800, wrote:

Thanks Tom.

Actually - what I am really interested in is can I do this from SW19
(Wimbledon) ?

Wimbledon - Liverpool Street - Chelmsford.

Not a journey I'd want to do. I think you will end up on 2 trains and 2
tubes each way.

SWT to Waterloo, W&C Line to Bank, Central Line to Liv St and then One
Anglia to Chelmsford. Depending on your start time you might need to
start early and have not too bad a trip or else run later and face awful
crowding all the way to Liverpool St.

Interestingly the National Rail Journey Planner routes most trips via
the Jubilee Line from Waterloo to Stratford to pick up your Chelmsford
train. Using that option you end up a trip time nearer 1hr 50mins but
the planner does add in huge journey times for the Tube and for
interchange. Once you get used to the regular timings you can achieve
for interchange and the Tube journey then you can take less time. The
main advantage you have is that all journey legs have frequent services.

Sounds horrible - but I wreckon 1.5 hours ???

Wreckon - yep I think I'd be a wreck trying to do that every day.

--
Paul C

Peter Smyth December 5th 05 07:09 PM

Commuting from Liverpool Street to Chelmsford

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Tom.

Actually - what I am really interested in is can I do this from SW19
(Wimbledon) ?

Wimbledon - Liverpool Street - Chelmsford.

Sounds horrible - but I wreckon 1.5 hours ???

1.5 hours should be possible on a good day. The good thing about Wimbledon
is that you have several different possible routes all taking about the same
time. So if one line is messed up you can just go a different way.

The TfL Journey Planner gives 41-43 mins Wimbledon - Waterloo - Bank -
Liverpool Street, 48-49 mins Wimbledon - Notting Hill Gate - Liverpool
Street, 49-50 mins Wimbledon - Tower Hill - Liverpool Street, 51 mins
Wimbledon - Edgware Road - Liverpool Street or 54-57 mins Wimbledon -
Waterloo - Stratford.

Peter Smyth

Martin Rich December 6th 05 07:52 AM

Commuting from Liverpool Street to Chelmsford

On 5 Dec 2005 05:50:09 -0800, wrote:

Thanks Tom.

Actually - what I am really interested in is can I do this from SW19
(Wimbledon) ?

Wimbledon - Liverpool Street - Chelmsford.

Sounds horrible - but I wreckon 1.5 hours ???

OK - I did something like this 20+ years ago as a student on work
placement for a few weeks. Fortunately my employer put me up in a B &
B 4 nights a week, so I was doing Wimbledon-Ingatestone (just a bit
nearer to London than Chelmsford) on Monday mornings and the reverse
on Friday afternoons. I definitely did Wimbledon-Waterloo then W & C
line to Bank then walk to Liverpool Street then train to Ingatestone.
From memory 1.5 hours was a best case with no delays: each individual
leg might have been fairly quick but they all added up.

And even though it was a long time ago I don't think the journey time
today would be very different. Obviously a huge amount has changed
since but the only one which would have affected the geography of this
journey would be the availability of Jubilee line Waterloo-Stratford
as an alternative way to cross London.

Martin

Ian December 6th 05 11:29 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Tom.

Actually - what I am really interested in is can I do this from SW19
(Wimbledon) ?

Wimbledon - Liverpool Street - Chelmsford.

Sounds horrible - but I wreckon 1.5 hours ???

Transport Direct http://www.transportdirect.com/ reckons on 1:26 leaving
Wimbledon at 0708 tomorrow morning. Take the train to Waterloo, change on to
Waterloo and City line to Bank, Central line to Liverpool Street and then
let the train take the strain to Chelmsford.

If you left at 0758 the same route would take 1:13 apparently. I have no
idea if this is accurate, but it is funded by the Department of Transport.
So if you believe what the government tells you........

Ian