London Banter

-   -   History of Northern Line underground 1967 FA (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3676-history-northern-line-underground-1967-a.html)

JaneyP December 15th 05 10:33 PM

History of Northern Line underground 1967 FA

Sixty Years of the Northern by Charles E Lee ,M.Inst T. VGC(near mint)
Pub.London Transport Westminster SW1.29 pages plus photo pages.
A friend who is a train buff tells me this is a very rare
item..especially in near mint condition.If like me (in my London days)
you have spent long hours slogging up and down the Northern line ,you
too may have developed a grudging fondness for it!

Fascinating 60 year history,with lots of early pics of trains,platforms
staions etc,as well as a map of the development of the line,some
diagrams.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Colin Rosenstiel December 15th 05 11:04 PM

History of Northern Line underground 1967 FA

In article . com,
(JaneyP) wrote:

Sixty Years of the Northern by Charles E Lee ,M.Inst T. VGC(near mint)
Pub.London Transport Westminster SW1.29 pages plus photo pages.
A friend who is a train buff tells me this is a very rare
item..especially in near mint condition.If like me (in my London days)
you have spent long hours slogging up and down the Northern line ,you
too may have developed a grudging fondness for it!

Fascinating 60 year history,with lots of early pics of
trains,platforms staions etc,as well as a map of the development of
the line,some diagrams.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...131&rd=1&sspag
ename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Good grief! I have that booklet (but 2nd impression, 1968) and the rest
of the series published around that time!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

John Salmon December 16th 05 12:30 AM

History of Northern Line underground 1967 FA

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote

Good grief! I have that booklet (but 2nd impression, 1968) and the rest
of the series published around that time!

How many were there? I've got six, but I don't know whether it's the full
set:
Sixty Years of the Bakerloo (1966)
Sixty Years of the Piccadilly (1966)
Sixty Years of the Northern (1967)
100 Years of the District (1968)
Seventy Years of the Central (1970)
The Metropolitan Line - A Brief History (1972)

Colin Rosenstiel December 16th 05 01:05 AM

History of Northern Line underground 1967 FA

In article ,
(John Salmon) wrote:

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote

Good grief! I have that booklet (but 2nd impression, 1968) and the
rest of the series published around that time!

How many were there? I've got six, but I don't know whether it's the
full set:
Sixty Years of the Bakerloo (1966)
Sixty Years of the Piccadilly (1966)
Sixty Years of the Northern (1967)
100 Years of the District (1968)
Seventy Years of the Central (1970)
The Metropolitan Line - A Brief History (1972)

Got all them, plus M A C Horne's "A Short History" booklets of the
Central and Northern lines. All mine, apart from Seventy Years of the
Central, appear to be second impressions printed a year or two later
than the dates above.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] December 16th 05 09:03 AM

History of Northern Line underground 1967 FA

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(John Salmon) wrote:

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote

Good grief! I have that booklet (but 2nd impression, 1968) and the
rest of the series published around that time!

How many were there? I've got six, but I don't know whether it's the
full set:
Sixty Years of the Bakerloo (1966)
Sixty Years of the Piccadilly (1966)
Sixty Years of the Northern (1967)
100 Years of the District (1968)
Seventy Years of the Central (1970)
The Metropolitan Line - A Brief History (1972)

Got all them, plus M A C Horne's "A Short History" booklets of the
Central and Northern lines. All mine, apart from Seventy Years of the
Central, appear to be second impressions printed a year or two later
than the dates above.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Didn't all these become "The line Line A Brief History" in the 1970s?

Eg, "The Northern Line A Brief History" (1973) contains what was in
"Fifty Years of the Hampstead Tube" and "Sixty Years of the Northern".

The latest equivalents seem to be "The line Line An Illustrated
History", eg I've got the Bakerloo Line, published 2001.

John Shelley December 16th 05 11:07 AM

History of Northern Line underground 1967 FA

John Salmon wrote:
"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote

Good grief! I have that booklet (but 2nd impression, 1968) and the
rest of the series published around that time!

How many were there? I've got six, but I don't know whether it's the
full set:
Sixty Years of the Bakerloo (1966)
Sixty Years of the Piccadilly (1966)
Sixty Years of the Northern (1967)
100 Years of the District (1968)
Seventy Years of the Central (1970)
The Metropolitan Line - A Brief History (1972)

I've also got

The East London Line and the Thames tunnel - A brief History (1976)

The big tube - A short illustrated history of London's Great Northern & City
Railway (1976)

--
Cheers for now,

John from Harrow, Middx

remove spamnocars to reply

Colin Rosenstiel December 16th 05 06:13 PM

History of Northern Line underground 1967 FA

In article ,
(John Shelley) wrote:

John Salmon wrote:
"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote

Good grief! I have that booklet (but 2nd impression, 1968) and the
rest of the series published around that time!

How many were there? I've got six, but I don't know whether it's the
full set:
Sixty Years of the Bakerloo (1966)
Sixty Years of the Piccadilly (1966)
Sixty Years of the Northern (1967)
100 Years of the District (1968)
Seventy Years of the Central (1970)
The Metropolitan Line - A Brief History (1972)

I've also got

The East London Line and the Thames tunnel - A brief History (1976)

The big tube - A short illustrated history of London's Great Northern
& City Railway (1976)

I've got the latter and it is a different format. The former I don't
think I've ever seen.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive D. W. Feather December 16th 05 09:56 PM

History of Northern Line underground 1967 FA

In article .com,
writes
Didn't all these become "The line Line A Brief History" in the 1970s?

Eg, "The Northern Line A Brief History" (1973) contains what was in
"Fifty Years of the Hampstead Tube" and "Sixty Years of the Northern".

The latest equivalents seem to be "The line Line An Illustrated
History", eg I've got the Bakerloo Line, published 2001.

http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/biblio.html lists all the ones I know
about.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

John Salmon December 16th 05 11:47 PM

History of Northern Line underground 1967 FA

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote
http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/biblio.html lists all the ones I know
about.

Four of my six have no SBN or ISBN. The only one I can add to your list is:
Seventy Years of the Central (1970): SBN 85329 013 X

Colin Rosenstiel December 17th 05 12:39 AM

History of Northern Line underground 1967 FA

In article ,
(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

In article .com,
writes
Didn't all these become "The line Line A Brief History" in the
1970s?

Eg, "The Northern Line A Brief History" (1973) contains what was in
"Fifty Years of the Hampstead Tube" and "Sixty Years of the
Northern".

The latest equivalents seem to be "The line Line An Illustrated
History", eg I've got the Bakerloo Line, published 2001.

http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/biblio.html lists all the ones I
know about.

Which suggests to me that Capital Transport have now cornered this market.

--
Colin Rosenstiel