London Banter

-   -   New Years Eve - Thank You! (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3734-new-years-eve-thank-you.html)

RDJUK January 1st 06 12:06 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

I just wanted to post a quick message here to say Thank You to all the
staff who turned up to work on the underground on New Years Eve and
into the early hours of New Years Day.

All the trains I travelled on, the drivers were courteous and friendly
letting us know of all the station closures and it was a pleasure to
use.

Maybe your RMT friends could learn a thing or two about customer
service from the drivers as "tried" and "failed" to ruin the one night
of the year everyone is trying to have a good time.

Paul Weaver January 1st 06 02:11 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

From: "RDJUK"
I just wanted to post a quick message here to say Thank You to all the
staff who turned up to work

Seconded, although I didn't use the tube last night (finished work at
0030, wouldn't have made the last train even without the thousands of
people in central London), and relied on a taxi, I did use it this
morning on the way in to work, and made sure to wish happy new year to
the people I saw :)

Robin Mayes January 1st 06 07:49 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

"RDJUK" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just wanted to post a quick message here to say Thank You to all the
staff who turned up to work on the underground on New Years Eve and
into the early hours of New Years Day.

My pleasure.

Steve Fitzgerald January 1st 06 07:58 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

In message , Robin Mayes
writes

"RDJUK" wrote in message
roups.com...
I just wanted to post a quick message here to say Thank You to all the
staff who turned up to work on the underground on New Years Eve and
into the early hours of New Years Day.

My pleasure.

Mine too...... fancy meeting you here, Robin ;-)

[email protected] January 1st 06 09:04 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how much in
total did you earn?

[email protected] January 1st 06 10:02 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

In message , Robin Mayes
writes

"RDJUK" wrote in message
roups.com...
I just wanted to post a quick message here to say Thank You to all the
staff who turned up to work on the underground on New Years Eve and
into the early hours of New Years Day.

My pleasure.

Mine too...... fancy meeting you here, Robin ;-)

Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how much in
total, ordinary pay plus bonuses, did you earn?

RWW January 1st 06 10:33 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

Seconded, although I didn't use the tube last night (finished work at
0030, wouldn't have made the last train even without the thousands of
people in central London), and relied on a taxi, I did use it this
morning on the way in to work, and made sure to wish happy new year to
the people I saw :)

The trains were running through the night, Paul! Still, makes a
refreshing change from the usual Sunday night where people are banging
on the station gates at 00.30!

Richard

RWW January 1st 06 10:48 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

I've never done it but I think it's double time - which is fair enough,
isn't it?

Richard

Robin Mayes January 2nd 06 12:47 AM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how much in
total did you earn?

No extra money.

Robin Mayes January 2nd 06 12:48 AM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Robin Mayes
writes

"RDJUK" wrote in message
roups.com...
I just wanted to post a quick message here to say Thank You to all the
staff who turned up to work on the underground on New Years Eve and
into the early hours of New Years Day.

My pleasure.

Mine too...... fancy meeting you here, Robin ;-)

Hi Steve

[waves]

[email protected] January 2nd 06 12:58 AM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

Robin Mayes wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how much in
total did you earn?

No extra money.

But, the papers said some people got £200, another poster said "double
time", you say nothing, and everyone else is being coy !!

Nick Cooper January 2nd 06 01:38 AM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

On 1 Jan 2006 17:58:58 -0800, "
wrote:

Robin Mayes wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how much in
total did you earn?

No extra money.

But, the papers said some people got £200, another poster said "double
time", you say nothing, and everyone else is being coy !!

No, another poster said, they _thought_ it was double-time, "which is
fair enough," although they'd never done it themself. In any case,
what's the problem with that? My flatmate is a bouncer - Whoops!
Sorry, "Door Supervisor" - and she got double-time for doing Xmas Eve
and NYE.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War, and in Films & TV:
http://www.nickcooper.org.uk/

Steve Fitzgerald January 2nd 06 07:46 AM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

In message .com,
writes
Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how much in
total did you earn?

Sorry, are you talking to anyone in particular?

[email protected] January 2nd 06 08:57 AM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message .com,
writes
Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how much in
total did you earn?

Sorry, are you talking to anyone in particular?

You and other posters.
I was wondering how much you got paid for that shift that ended at 4am.
The total amount, ordinary pay plus bonuses.

Brimstone January 2nd 06 09:09 AM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

wrote:
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message .com,
writes
Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how much
in total did you earn?

Sorry, are you talking to anyone in particular?

You and other posters.
I was wondering how much you got paid for that shift that ended at
4am. The total amount, ordinary pay plus bonuses.

Why do you want to know?

[email protected] January 2nd 06 09:34 AM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

Nick Cooper wrote:
On 1 Jan 2006 17:58:58 -0800, "
wrote:

Robin Mayes wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how much in
total did you earn?

No extra money.

But, the papers said some people got £200, another poster said "double
time", you say nothing, and everyone else is being coy !!

No, another poster said, they _thought_ it was double-time, "which is
fair enough," although they'd never done it themself. In any case,
what's the problem with that? My flatmate is a bouncer - Whoops!
Sorry, "Door Supervisor" - and she got double-time for doing Xmas Eve
and NYE.
--
Nick Cooper

Well, if they thought it was double-time that's a guess and not really
answering how much was earned, though I do appreciate the reply. Of
course, it must depend on how much your wage is initially, but to get
to an actual figure of double time, if indeed it was that, that basic
figure needs to be known.

[email protected] January 2nd 06 09:40 AM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message .com,
writes
Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how much
in total did you earn?

Sorry, are you talking to anyone in particular?

You and other posters.
I was wondering how much you got paid for that shift that ended at
4am. The total amount, ordinary pay plus bonuses.

Why do you want to know?

The truth, I guess.
The media isn't a very reliable source of most information.
Is the information that sensitive?
I hope I don't have to sign the Official Secrets Act.
Already had to do that once :)

Robin Mayes January 2nd 06 10:48 AM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

Volunteers and managers got £187. Some who had duties changed by a large
amount got time and a quarter.

" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robin Mayes wrote:
oups.com...

RWW January 2nd 06 10:53 AM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

Well, if they thought it was double-time that's a guess and not really
answering how much was earned, though I do appreciate the reply. Of
course, it must depend on how much your wage is initially, but to get
to an actual figure of double time, if indeed it was that, that basic
figure needs to be known.

It's common knowledge that train drivers earn £35K pa. We average 36
hours p.w. My takehome pay is just over £1900 after NI, tax and
pension deductions. Working through the night on New Year's Eve is not
part of our contractual requirements so every year volunteers are asked
for and not surprisingly LUL offer some incentive for this (which I
think is double time - someone correct me if I'm wrong). I have been
rostered to work the last 2 New Years Eves anyway (finishing at about 1
am last year) and I won't get any extra payment (just as we don't get
paid extra for working other public holidays). The extra payment is
just for those working at the time the Underground would normally be
closed. And the exact amount will depend on how long each driver's duty
is (that will vary)

If the point of the question was "Why should we thank train drivers
working through New Year's Eve when they're being paid extra for it?"
then fair enough. But if people are polite enough to thank us for doing
a good job we'll say "You're welcome"!!!

Richard

Steve Fitzgerald January 2nd 06 11:58 AM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

In message .com,
" writes

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message .com,
writes
Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how much in
total did you earn?

Sorry, are you talking to anyone in particular?

You and other posters.
I was wondering how much you got paid for that shift that ended at 4am.
The total amount, ordinary pay plus bonuses.

Well it might have helped if you had quoted something to tell us all
what you're on about. Not everybody reads newsgroup messages online and
not everybody has a ready list of all previous messages.

As far as your question goes, that's already been answered by others.
I'm interested as to why you feel the need to know this information
though.

Brimstone January 2nd 06 12:17 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message .com,
writes
Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how
much in total did you earn?

Sorry, are you talking to anyone in particular?

You and other posters.
I was wondering how much you got paid for that shift that ended at
4am. The total amount, ordinary pay plus bonuses.

Why do you want to know?

The truth, I guess.

OK, but how will the knowledge benefit you?

The media isn't a very reliable source of most information.

Sadly, very true.

Is the information that sensitive?

I doubt it, but do you make a practice of telling the whole world your
earnings for each and every day?

I hope I don't have to sign the Official Secrets Act.
Already had to do that once :)

You and me both, and many more besides.

Mal January 2nd 06 08:32 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Robin Mayes
writes

"RDJUK" wrote in message
roups.com...
I just wanted to post a quick message here to say Thank You to all the
staff who turned up to work on the underground on New Years Eve and
into the early hours of New Years Day.

My pleasure.

Mine too...... fancy meeting you here, Robin ;-)

Hi Steve

[waves]

I think he wants to know so he can say "see...they only did it gor the money
not for us Londoners".

And no one offered me £187!!!

Mal

[email protected] January 2nd 06 09:01 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message .com,
writes
Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how
much in total did you earn?

Sorry, are you talking to anyone in particular?

You and other posters.
I was wondering how much you got paid for that shift that ended at
4am. The total amount, ordinary pay plus bonuses.

Why do you want to know?

The truth, I guess.

OK, but how will the knowledge benefit you?

Interesting point. Knowledge must have a benefit before it is sought.
That would pretty much rule out a lot of pure scientific research. I
remember a lecturer from 30 years ago who answered that same question
with knowledge is an end unto itself. If you start assigning
costs/benefits to knowledge, it becomes reductive.

Though, I wouldn't equate the knowledge of the recent research
supporting evolution to that of a train driver's salary, it does help
people compare and contrast various professions and how our society
does reward them. Which clearly draws out the values that a society
lives by.

[email protected] January 2nd 06 09:03 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message .com,
" writes

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message .com,
writes
Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how much in
total did you earn?

Sorry, are you talking to anyone in particular?

You and other posters.
I was wondering how much you got paid for that shift that ended at 4am.
The total amount, ordinary pay plus bonuses.

Well it might have helped if you had quoted something to tell us all
what you're on about. Not everybody reads newsgroup messages online and
not everybody has a ready list of all previous messages.

I can see how my first post must have been confusing but my second post
quite clearly beneath the second clearly quotes you, message
Jan 1, 11:02 pm. Can you not see this message?
Or, have you missed it?

As far as your question goes, that's already been answered by others.
I'm interested as to why you feel the need to know this information
though.

It has not been answered: the question was about specifc details. My
original question was to you, about your shift that finished at 4am.
However, it does appear that you and your colleagues are very sensitive
to the issue and I do apologise for upsetting you. I did not know at
the time that it was such a sensitive topic for you and everyone on the
"tube". I have approached many professions and they were more than
willing to assist me.

Once again, I do apologise for upsetting you.

[email protected] January 2nd 06 09:10 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

Mal wrote:
"Robin Mayes" wrote in message

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Robin Mayes
writes

"RDJUK" wrote in message
roups.com...
I just wanted to post a quick message here to say Thank You to all the
staff who turned up to work on the underground on New Years Eve and
into the early hours of New Years Day.

My pleasure.

Mine too...... fancy meeting you here, Robin ;-)

Hi Steve

[waves]

I think he wants to know so he can say "see...they only did it gor the money
not for us Londoners".

And no one offered me £187!!!

Mal

"gor the money" does lead to images of currency being tortured :)

If you meant "for the money", not at all. After all, can't that
criticism be levelled at everyone.

Brimstone January 2nd 06 09:17 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

" wrote in message
oups.com...

Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
In message .com,
writes
[...]

If your question had been simply about how much an LU train drivers earns
per year I could have understood it. It was the level of detail regarding
payment for a single shift that I couldn't work out.

[email protected] January 2nd 06 09:44 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

Brimstone wrote:
" wrote in message
oups.com...

snipped

OK, but how will the knowledge benefit you?

Interesting point. Knowledge must have a benefit before it is sought.
That would pretty much rule out a lot of pure scientific research. I
remember a lecturer from 30 years ago who answered that same question
with knowledge is an end unto itself. If you start assigning
costs/benefits to knowledge, it becomes reductive.

Though, I wouldn't equate the knowledge of the recent research
supporting evolution to that of a train driver's salary, it does help
people compare and contrast various professions and how our society
does reward them. Which clearly draws out the values that a society
lives by.

If your question had been simply about how much an LU train drivers earns
per year I could have understood it. It was the level of detail regarding
payment for a single shift that I couldn't work out.

But, you see that's the whole point! New Years Eve is a single event,
momentous for so many people, in the past and present. It signifies so
much.

Anyway, I've devoted enough time to this topic and it appears to be an
extremely sensitive topic for all "tube" staff, for "Steve Fitzgerald",
etc.

Mal January 2nd 06 10:39 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mal wrote:
"Robin Mayes" wrote in message

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Robin Mayes
writes

"RDJUK" wrote in message
roups.com...
I just wanted to post a quick message here to say Thank You to all
the
staff who turned up to work on the underground on New Years Eve and
into the early hours of New Years Day.

My pleasure.

Mine too...... fancy meeting you here, Robin ;-)

Hi Steve

[waves]

I think he wants to know so he can say "see...they only did it gor the
money
not for us Londoners".

And no one offered me £187!!!

Mal

"gor the money" does lead to images of currency being tortured :)

If you meant "for the money", not at all. After all, can't that
criticism be levelled at everyone.

No...thats gore. With an e on the end.
I certainly did mean for....i will try harder ni future. Ooooops..there it
goes again.

As for the payment earned, i suspect its not a reluctance to say, its just
they probably dont know exactly what they will get until it arrives in Feb.
And possibly much later going on last years payments for working that time.
Its all very complicated. I'll look in the morning.....
I for 1 didnt know there was extra payments...if its a rostered shift you
just turn up and do it.....no extar money for working public holidays...no
extra day off for working public holidays. All in the salary.
Incidentally....did you know that the Govt figures show the average worker
gets 25 days off a year plus the 8 public holidays. Thats 33 days a year.
Tube staff get 37. So its must be the extra 4 for the shift allowances.

And these guys aren't upset....you want to see upset, go ask a ticket tout
to leave a station.....Thats upset.....

Mal
(did you see i did another word wrong...just for you).

Marratxi January 2nd 06 11:28 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

" wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

In message , Robin Mayes
writes

"RDJUK" wrote in message
roups.com...
I just wanted to post a quick message here to say Thank You to all

the
staff who turned up to work on the underground on New Years Eve and
into the early hours of New Years Day.

My pleasure.

Mine too...... fancy meeting you here, Robin ;-)

Did you get any extra money for working that shift? If so, how much in
total, ordinary pay plus bonuses, did you earn?

With respect, what business is it of yours ? I don't suppose you would want
to be questioned about your earnings and I'm surprised that you expect
anybody to supply you with such information.
Baz
(retired and never employed by TfL or any other transport company)

RDJUK January 3rd 06 12:27 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

Yes I agree, why has this thread that I started purely to say thanks to
the drivers turned into a thread about wages! Its no business of
anyone's what drivers get paid and/or what anyone gets paid.

If they did get paid a bonus - good on them, if they didn't they again
good on them ! Lets just be grateful that they did DO the work and got
us all home safely...and leave their paypackets to them.

Mizter T January 5th 06 02:16 PM

New Years Eve - Thank You!

RDJUK wrote:
I just wanted to post a quick message here to say Thank You to all the
staff who turned up to work on the underground on New Years Eve and
into the early hours of New Years Day.

All the trains I travelled on, the drivers were courteous and friendly
letting us know of all the station closures and it was a pleasure to
use.

Maybe your RMT friends could learn a thing or two about customer
service from the drivers as "tried" and "failed" to ruin the one night
of the year everyone is trying to have a good time.

Somewhat belated thanks from myself and from all those who were at
fantastically raucous party somewhere in East London (one of many
raucous parties in the capital I'm sure). Many of the party goers
arrived and, much later, departed by Underground. Had the strike taken
effect then I think it would've been a much lesser occasion as people
wouldn't have turned up. Additionally the through the night service was
most useful, although many of us ended up catching what would
normally've been the first trains of the morning.

Anyway the point is that the New Years Underground service brought
people together to have a great time, and Londoners very much
appreciate the staff who made it happen. And all the staff I came
across were all in good humour and most friendly. Good stuff.