London Banter

-   -   Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3741-pay-per-use-oystercard-cheaper.html)

james007 January 2nd 06 08:18 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

Yes. For me, it's over £100 cheaper to just 'pay as you go' with an
Oyster pre-pay card.

Good grief.

I've done a little work to help you calculate your own savings by going
Oyster and ditching the travelcard altogether... try:
http://www.mediauk.com/content/oyste...calculator.muk

Naturally, it's not always going to be entirely accurate: but I'd be
interested in your thoughts.

James

text.news.ntlworld.com January 2nd 06 08:41 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

"james007" wrote in message
oups.com...

I've done a little work to help you calculate your own savings by going
Oyster and ditching the travelcard altogether... try:
http://www.mediauk.com/content/oyste...calculator.muk

Naturally, it's not always going to be entirely accurate: but I'd be
interested in your thoughts.

Could you perhaps cater for those of us who do not travel into Zone 1,
James? My home-work journey is Z2-3 only.

Thank you!

Richard Adamfi January 2nd 06 09:23 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

On 2 Jan 2006 13:18:25 -0800, "james007"
wrote:

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

Yes. For me, it's over £100 cheaper to just 'pay as you go' with an
Oyster pre-pay card.

Good grief.

Your research isn't particularly earth-shattering as for many years,
Period Travelcards haven't been particularly good value compared to
single tickets. Unless you changed mode a lot, it often made little
sense to get a Period Travelcard.

In recent years, with the push for Oyster, single fares have been
static or going down, whereas Travelcards have been increasing at
inflation or slightly more than that. This has led to single fares
(with Oyster) being even more competitive compared to a Travelcard.

The way things are going, I won't be surprised to see the slow death
of the Period Travelcard over the next few years.

TKD January 3rd 06 06:52 AM

[...]

Yes it will be replaced with monthly arrears billing.

Tim Roll-Pickering January 3rd 06 11:57 AM

TKD wrote:

Your research isn't particularly earth-shattering as for many years,
Period Travelcards haven't been particularly good value compared to
single tickets. Unless you changed mode a lot, it often made little
sense to get a Period Travelcard.

In recent years, with the push for Oyster, single fares have been
static or going down, whereas Travelcards have been increasing at
inflation or slightly more than that. This has led to single fares
(with Oyster) being even more competitive compared to a Travelcard.

The way things are going, I won't be surprised to see the slow death
of the Period Travelcard over the next few years.

Yes it will be replaced with monthly arrears billing.

How does the 1/3 discount for students affect the comparisons?

Admittedly my heavy travelling on all modes, combined with the uselessness
of Pre Pay for National Rail, makes the point a little academic.

Larry Lard January 3rd 06 01:49 PM

james007 wrote:
Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

Yes. For me, it's over £100 cheaper to just 'pay as you go' with an
Oyster pre-pay card.

Good grief.

I've done a little work to help you calculate your own savings by going
Oyster and ditching the travelcard altogether... try:
http://www.mediauk.com/content/oyste...calculator.muk

Naturally, it's not always going to be entirely accurate: but I'd be
interested in your thoughts.

For people who use National Rail as part of their commute, is it ever
accurate?

Also, some kind of reload / restart link might be nice, since the Back
button appears not to work from the results page.

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

[email protected] January 3rd 06 03:08 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

The following is a hypothetical scenario, since I do not have Oyster of
any sort.

If I have Oyster pre-pay, and I get on NR at Wandsworth Town (no
barriers of any sort) and emerge at Waterloo, 99.99% time it will be a
free journey, since rarely do I see ticket collectors there.

If, On the 0.001% occasion there is a ticket inspector there, what will
he do? If I have a valid credited Oyster card, presumably he will have
to find a way of debiting it for the correct fare which, through no
fault of mine, I had been unable to do at Wandsworth Town.

Answers please!

Marc.

Richard Adamfi January 3rd 06 03:14 PM

wrote:
The following is a hypothetical scenario, since I do not have Oyster of
any sort.

If I have Oyster pre-pay, and I get on NR at Wandsworth Town (no
barriers of any sort) and emerge at Waterloo, 99.99% time it will be a
free journey, since rarely do I see ticket collectors there.

If, On the 0.001% occasion there is a ticket inspector there, what will
he do? If I have a valid credited Oyster card, presumably he will have
to find a way of debiting it for the correct fare which, through no
fault of mine, I had been unable to do at Wandsworth Town.

Answers please!

Oyster Pre-Pay is not valid between Wandsworth Town and Waterloo (or
anywhere else on SWT) so you would probably have to pay a penalty fare.

[email protected] January 3rd 06 04:40 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

That's what I suspected - so how does Ken and his publicity machine get
away with advertising Oyster as the answer to everyone's problems? Even
for those who only OCCASIONALLY use South West Trains, they are being
deprived of the very flexibility that the Travelcard (which I have to
confess is the ONE thing Ken introduced in his previous guise as G.L.C.
Leader I regard as a great success) has given us for the last 20 years
or so.

Is Oyster also not available on National Rail between West Brompton and
Earl's Court? What about a journey starting at Richmond and ending at
Stratford but via the North London Line? If none of these are possible,
then the whole thing is a massive con.

I have no intention of taking an Oyster card if these flexibilities are
prevented. Even if there is a marginal price saving over other tickets.
Like another contributor to this forum, I shall be sticking ton One Day
Travelcards. I also have quite a few packs of Bus Saver tickets which I
bought in 2004 before the last price increase!

Marc.

TKD January 3rd 06 04:48 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

Is Oyster also not available on National Rail between West Brompton and
Earl's Court?

Not only is it not available, there isn't a rail service.

Richard Adamfi January 3rd 06 04:53 PM

wrote:

Is Oyster also not available on National Rail between West Brompton and
Earl's Court? What about a journey starting at Richmond and ending at
Stratford but via the North London Line? If none of these are possible,
then the whole thing is a massive con.

If you think it is a con, blame the TOCs for not accepting Oyster,
rather than Ken/TfL.

TfL advise in their publicity that a Day Travelcard may be better if
you use National Rail services.

Oyster Pre-Pay is only valid on the following National Rail lines:

Amersham to Marylebone
Finsbury Park to King's Cross/Moorgate
Harrow & Wealdstone to Euston (but not at Kilburn High Road/South
Hampstead)
Kentish Town to Moorgate/Elephant & Castle/London Bridge
Liverpool Street to Walthamstow Central
Tottenham Hale/Seven Sisters (but not at intermediate stations)
Richmond to Gunnersbury
Stratford to Canning Town
Stratford to Liverpool Street
Upminster to Fenchurch Street/Liverpool Street via Barking (but not at
Forest Gate/Maryland)
West Ruislip/South Ruislip to Marylebone (but not at intermediate
stations)

[email protected] January 3rd 06 06:43 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

TKD, sorry, I meant Olympia!

Richard, I am confused. If I had a Zone 1 and 2 annual Travelcard, and
converted it to Oyster, that would be vaild on National Rail within
those zones? But not if I have an Oyster but buy 1-day Travelcards on
it? Not only is that illogical but beyond my comprehension - why are
TOCs willing to accept one form of Oyster but not the other?

Or is the answer that they simply haven't (for whatever reason)
installed Oyster readers at all stations? And, if that is the reason,
then why doesn't the munificent Ken pay for them to be installed (at
our expense, no doubt)?

On a different issue, supposing I had Oyster prepay to entitle me to
travel between Tottenham Hale and Seven Sisters, but boarded a NR
instead of Underground train and decided to get off at an intermediate
station, what would happen? What, if any, "penalty" would I have to pay
upon exit? Could I really be penalised for SHORTENING my journey?

Marc.

TKD January 3rd 06 06:51 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

Richard, I am confused. If I had a Zone 1 and 2 annual Travelcard, and
converted it to Oyster, that would be vaild on National Rail within
those zones?

It would have the same validity on Oyster as on paper. No difference.

But not if I have an Oyster but buy 1-day Travelcards on
it?

You can't put one day travelcards on it.

Not only is that illogical but beyond my comprehension - why are
TOCs willing to accept one form of Oyster but not the other?

Because they have to accept the travelcards under their existing relationship
with London Underground but do not have to accept prepay unless they
decide to. And they have decided not to.

Or is the answer that they simply haven't (for whatever reason)
installed Oyster readers at all stations? And, if that is the reason,
then why doesn't the munificent Ken pay for them to be installed (at
our expense, no doubt)?

He has offered to pay for installation. They have still said no.

[email protected] January 3rd 06 07:36 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

TKD,

Sorry, I thought you can put 1-day Travelcards on prepay. This is what
the TFL website says:-

"During any 24-hour period from 0430 to 0430 the following day, you
will never pay more than 50p less than the equivalent Day Travelcard
price for all your Oyster single journeys in Zones 1-6 or we will
refund the difference. "

I read this as meaning that if I make dozens of journeys within, say
Zones 1 and 2 in 1 day, then my Oystercard would be charged the
equivalent of a 1-day Travelcard for Zones 1 & 2, less 50 pence. Is
that not the same, in all but name, as buying a 1-day Travelcard on
Prepay?

Marc.

TKD January 3rd 06 07:53 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

Sorry, I thought you can put 1-day Travelcards on prepay. This is what
the TFL website says:-

"During any 24-hour period from 0430 to 0430 the following day, you
will never pay more than 50p less than the equivalent Day Travelcard
price for all your Oyster single journeys in Zones 1-6 or we will
refund the difference. "

I read this as meaning that if I make dozens of journeys within, say
Zones 1 and 2 in 1 day, then my Oystercard would be charged the
equivalent of a 1-day Travelcard for Zones 1 & 2, less 50 pence. Is
that not the same, in all but name, as buying a 1-day Travelcard on
Prepay?

Depends if you think the capped Oyster fare that is valid on only some
National Rail lines is the same, in all but name, as a 1-day travelcard.

Tom Anderson January 3rd 06 08:01 PM

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, wrote:

On a different issue, supposing I had Oyster prepay to entitle me to
travel between Tottenham Hale and Seven Sisters, but boarded a NR
instead of Underground train and decided to get off at an intermediate
station, what would happen? What, if any, "penalty" would I have to pay
upon exit? Could I really be penalised for SHORTENING my journey?

Yes. This is exactly the same situation as if you had some sort of NR mega
granny discount ticket from London to Glasgow which didn't allow break of
journey, and got off at Crewe, or if you went back in time a couple of
years, bought an LT card, went to Tottenham Hale, headed off for Seven
Sisters on an NR train (not sure why you'd do this, since you have to go
via Hackney and it'd be faster to walk, probably, but it's your choice!),
and got off an an intermediate station.

All, surprising as it may seem, acts of heinous villainy according to the
rulebook, but not really an invention of Ken's.

tom

--
Plus, you gotta understand I can now type far, far faster than I can
think. This is not boasting - its admitting a personal tragedy. -- D

Paul Corfield January 3rd 06 08:51 PM

On 3 Jan 2006 11:43:50 -0800, " wrote:

TKD, sorry, I meant Olympia!

Richard, I am confused. If I had a Zone 1 and 2 annual Travelcard, and
converted it to Oyster, that would be vaild on National Rail within
those zones? But not if I have an Oyster but buy 1-day Travelcards on
it? Not only is that illogical but beyond my comprehension - why are
TOCs willing to accept one form of Oyster but not the other?

Travelcards are legally protected products and existed at the time of
privatisation. Therefore the TOCs have no choice and neither does TfL -
the product exists and is protected. Where the ticket medium changes
then the party proposing the change to the medium has to pay. TfL has
done this to the extent that it is required to do - i.e. at its own
outlets and those which can be reasonably be said to be part of the LU
network e.g. Richmond.

However the introduction of Oyster has not removed the possibility of
using magnetic tickets and this is why the TOCs can continue to issue
these tickets. However they are also required to accept the new Oyster
format for Travelcard and for this function TfL funded hand held readers
for TOC revenue inspection staff.

Or is the answer that they simply haven't (for whatever reason)
installed Oyster readers at all stations? And, if that is the reason,
then why doesn't the munificent Ken pay for them to be installed (at
our expense, no doubt)?

The real problem with the One Day product is that TfL has chosen to
implement this facility using Pre-Pay and Capping. While this is fairly
elegant in theory it is, in my view, fairly awful in its execution. By
opting to use a new product and a new concept it causes One Day (capped)
tickets to be outside the scope of the Travelcard agreement. This gives
the TOCs the perfect opportunity to escape the adoption of Pre Pay.
Worse the use of capping also effectively demands the adoption of a
unified zonal fares scheme in order for the scheme to be equitable. If
you simply applied capping to the current fares scales it would be
almost impossible to administer on NR territory given the much higher
fares at certain times and then the greater complexity of off peak
offers.

TfL have offered to fund the introduction of validators, targets on
gates and ticket machine mods. The TOCs are not convinced that their
revenue base will not be adversely affected and as revenue and some
costs are all they control you can understand why. If zonal fares are
ever adopted by the TOCs you can be sure there will be huge compensation
payments sitting in the background.

It's all a mess as far as I can see and was not what was intended when I
was involved with Prestige. The TOCs were unconvinced then and I don't
see that anything has changed to make them any more enthusiastic now.

TfL's publicity on Oyster is woeful and it is no wonder that so many
people are hopelessly confused as to what product is valid where. Even
the most basic rules of the card and its products are not explained in
any of the published fares documents that I have seen. The constant
references to Day Travelcards in connection with Pre-Pay is also wrong
and is something that TfL have already been clobbered about by the ASA.
Why they continue to use the same terms in official publications I do
not know.

On a different issue, supposing I had Oyster prepay to entitle me to
travel between Tottenham Hale and Seven Sisters, but boarded a NR
instead of Underground train and decided to get off at an intermediate
station, what would happen? What, if any, "penalty" would I have to pay
upon exit? Could I really be penalised for SHORTENING my journey?

You would have an unresolved journey as you would be unable to validate
your ticket on exit at the intermediate station. If a revenue inspector
caught you then you would be travelling with an invalid ticket as prepay
is not valid for that journey via National Rail or at the intermediate
point. As someone else has said it is a simple case of not having a
valid ticket - there is nothing unusual in this as there are plenty of
examples of tickets not being valid at particular places at particular
times.

--
Paul C

Paul Scott January 3rd 06 09:04 PM

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for a sensible explanation of pre pay Oyster wrt National Rail. Other
potential difficulties must be various Railcards, with their huge variety of
rules, and First Class availability on some routes?

Paul

[email protected] January 3rd 06 11:01 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

Paul Corfield,

Many thanks for the explanation.

As a lawyer, used to some pretty complicated concepts, I still find the
whole Oyster thing mind-boggling, and the more I learn about it (to say
nothing of having to explain to some jobsworth where I got on and where
I am going to, should the reader have failed to register my Oyster, and
the traceability of my journey, which is nobody's business but mine)
the less I want to have to do with it. I'll still be buying One Day
Travelcards at my corner shop for the foreseeable future. Much simpler
all round - and simple proof of payment for the taxman.

Marc.

Colin Rosenstiel January 3rd 06 11:43 PM

In article .com, (Richard Adamfi) wrote:

Is Oyster also not available on National Rail between West Brompton
and Earl's Court? What about a journey starting at Richmond and
ending at Stratford but via the North London Line? If none of these
are possible, then the whole thing is a massive con.

If you think it is a con, blame the TOCs for not accepting Oyster,
rather than Ken/TfL.

The TOCs were forced by the Government not to adopt Oyster because it was not Standards-compliant.

TfL advise in their publicity that a Day Travelcard may be better if
you use National Rail services.

And if going from Cambridge to London (without a Network Card) it is now the same price to use a day return to London and pre-pay capping, as long as you stay within Zones 1 to 4 (which I invariably do on such trips) or, if you stay within Zones 1 and 2, it is actually cheaper. For many trips the cap won't be reached of course.

This is because tube fares have gone up much more sharply than TOC fares this year as for several years. The all-zones premium for the tube over the cheap day return fare to London has gone from £1 in 2001 to £4.90 in 2006, a startling rate of inflation.

Maybe I'll get an Oyster after all. A bike is better though.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

asdf January 4th 06 12:54 AM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

On 3 Jan 2006 11:43:50 -0800, "
wrote:

TKD, sorry, I meant Olympia!

I don't know why pre-pay can't be used on NR between West Brompton and
Olympia. Tube paper singles are valid. I wonder what makes the NLL/WLL
"special" compared to all the other NR routes where Tube singles are
valid (where pre-pay is almost always valid too).

Richard, I am confused. If I had a Zone 1 and 2 annual Travelcard, and
converted it to Oyster,

I don't believe you can "convert" a ticket in this way...

On a different issue, supposing I had Oyster prepay to entitle me to
travel between Tottenham Hale and Seven Sisters, but boarded a NR
instead of Underground train and decided to get off at an intermediate
station, what would happen?

It's at least arguable that you could legally travel from Tottenham
Hale to Liverpool Street, then take another train from there to Seven
Sisters (assuming you can do that without going through the barriers
at Liverpool St), using pre-pay. However, it's explicity not valid at
intermediate stations (between Liverpool Street and Tottenham
Hale/Seven Sisters).

What, if any, "penalty" would I have to pay upon exit?

You could expect to pay a Penalty Fare if tickets are being inspected
at the station you leave through. Also, you wouldn't be able to "touch
out" and complete the pre-pay journey, so you might also be charged a
penalty for the unresolved journey (it was mentioned in this group
some time ago that TfL intended to make this charge equivalent to the
full Z1-6 pre-pay fare, though there have been no reports of this
actually being imposed yet).

Could I really be penalised for SHORTENING my journey?

It will no doubt enrage you to learn that if you get on at Liverpool
Street but don't travel all the way to Seven Sisters/Tottenham
Hale/Walthamstow, a £5.00 penalty is automatically deduced from your
pre-pay balance.

Paul Corfield January 4th 06 05:11 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 00:43 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article .com,
(Richard Adamfi) wrote:

If you think it is a con, blame the TOCs for not accepting Oyster,
rather than Ken/TfL.

The TOCs were forced by the Government not to adopt Oyster because it was not Standards-compliant.

This is news to me - where did you get this snippet of information from?
Oh and what standards?
--
Paul C

Paul Corfield January 4th 06 05:20 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 23:12:20 +0000, Barry Salter
wrote:

Another problem is that, as far as I'm aware, none of the PC-based
Ticket Issuing Systems can be updated to support Oyster, so TOCs would
either need to replace their systems (again) or get machines similar to
those used by TfL Ticket Stops (formerly Pass Agents).

I don't think is true at all. Any of the PC based systems are far easier
to upgrade than APTIS ever was and I saw and used the prototype
smartcard reader attached to an APTIS machine over 6 years ago! The
option of using PASS EPOS machines was looked at but was obviously
frowned upon from an accounting and audit viewpoint by Rail Settlement
Plan who are the guardians of National Rail ticketing / accounting
standards for retailing.

The TOCs and their chosen suppliers have simply opted not to spend the
money (that TfL was ready to provide) or enter into the appropriate
agreements to allow software to be written that could interface with a
generically supplied read / write Oyster target. After all the ticket
machine simply has to recognise a card is present, accept the sale
requirement, encode it to the card, receive confirmation that the
transaction is complete on the card and then complete its own
transaction. Easy stuff.

Put very simply this is organisational and business "politics" of the
absolute worst kind where the customer comes last. I know - I
experienced the icy blasts of ATOC cynicism 7 or 8 years ago. I think I
had two allies in the room - from what was LTS Rail and Virgin Trains.
These company reps no longer work for either organisation but were both
people who could see the opportunities the technology would provide and
how it linked to other things that were happening in the wider IT,
Internet and retail markets.
--
Paul C

Paul Corfield January 4th 06 05:27 PM

On 3 Jan 2006 16:01:05 -0800, " wrote:

Paul Corfield,

Many thanks for the explanation.

Not a problem although even I am beginning to lose the will to live and
I have a staff pass. The level of public confusion is not acceptable.

As a lawyer, used to some pretty complicated concepts, I still find the
whole Oyster thing mind-boggling, and the more I learn about it (to say
nothing of having to explain to some jobsworth where I got on and where
I am going to, should the reader have failed to register my Oyster, and
the traceability of my journey, which is nobody's business but mine)
the less I want to have to do with it. I'll still be buying One Day
Travelcards at my corner shop for the foreseeable future. Much simpler
all round - and simple proof of payment for the taxman.

When the concept is boiled down to its basic elements and some examples
of how things like validities and capping work are provided it is not
that hard. I do think people need to be able to work it through for
themselves in order to have confidence in the underlying systems and
processes. I don't really see how that is being achieved or will be
achieved. It is, however, necessary.

You're obviously entitled to your view about privacy but I have no real
issue about that information being captured by TfL. Perhaps that's
because I know how the system was designed and partly because I work for
TfL and can't see how they can use the information in some malign way.

I think Oyster is a good product and that Londoners will accept it once
the current obstacles to its effective use are removed. It just needs
more work and a better response from the staff who administer it.
--
Paul C

Paul Terry January 4th 06 06:35 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

I think Oyster is a good product and that Londoners will accept it once
the current obstacles to its effective use are removed.

I agree, but the fact remains that the majority of London commuters use
surface rail rather than exclusively TfL services, and many are people
(like me) who work mainly from home and need to commute only once or
twice a week or less.

Until Oyster is properly accepted for all surface rail journeys in the
capital, it will for many of us remain an interesting but irrelevant
exercise.

--
Paul Terry

Arthur Figgis January 4th 06 07:44 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 18:11:26 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 00:43 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article .com,
(Richard Adamfi) wrote:

If you think it is a con, blame the TOCs for not accepting Oyster,
rather than Ken/TfL.

The TOCs were forced by the Government not to adopt Oyster because it was not Standards-compliant.

This is news to me - where did you get this snippet of information from?

The standards problem has been in the railway press - probably in
Modern Railways and elsewhere.

Oh and what standards?

Integrated Transport Smartcard Organisation ones:
http://www.itso.org.uk

If the TOCs were to go ahead and fit Oyster, there could be a problem
if and when ITSO-compliant cards are in widespread use everywhere
else. People arriving in London would discover that the card they use
to buy transport tickets, in libraries or for school dinners (etc)
couldn't be used in London, and Londoners would find they couldn't use
their Oyster cards on National Rail ITSO systems outside London.

Fitting duplicate systems at every station would be wasteful, but
Oyster won't be used beyond London, and so the railways are meant to
use inter-operable ITSO cards which would work with everyone else's
systems.

Is Oyster technology proprietory, or can anyone get the specs and make
their own kit if they want?
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Chris January 4th 06 11:36 PM

wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 00:43 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article .com,
(Richard Adamfi) wrote:

If you think it is a con, blame the TOCs for not accepting Oyster,
rather than Ken/TfL.

The TOCs were forced by the Government not to adopt Oyster because it was
not Standards-compliant.

This is news to me - where did you get this snippet of information from?

The standards problem has been in the railway press - probably in
Modern Railways and elsewhere.

Also mentioned by the mayor here
http://mqt.london.gov.uk//public/question.do?id=12553. I can see where the
TOC's are coming from on this issue, it seems Livingston is insisting they
pay for the 'retailing and validation capability' of oyster installation in
stations when the dft is developing (presumably still a work in progress) a
separate system for the rest of the UK, which they will be installing a few
years later.

And then here http://mqt.london.gov.uk//public/question.do?id=13087
Livingston lays down the costs. TfL is hardly short of cash, if £60m is all
it would take for implementation why can't he just get on with it?. He's not
exactly known for being prudent and to argue over a relatively small project
(cost wise) with such large potential benefits seems incredibly petty.

Chris! January 5th 06 12:06 AM

wrote:
TKD,

Sorry, I thought you can put 1-day Travelcards on prepay. This is what
the TFL website says:-

"During any 24-hour period from 0430 to 0430 the following day, you
will never pay more than 50p less than the equivalent Day Travelcard
price for all your Oyster single journeys in Zones 1-6 or we will
refund the difference. "

I read this as meaning that if I make dozens of journeys within, say
Zones 1 and 2 in 1 day, then my Oystercard would be charged the
equivalent of a 1-day Travelcard for Zones 1 & 2, less 50 pence. Is
that not the same, in all but name, as buying a 1-day Travelcard on
Prepay?

From what I've read on u.t.l befo the oyster readers at most railway

stations can only read (ie check there is a season ticket on) oyster
cards.

On the tube, buses, DLR, tramlink, etc. they can read and write so they
can deduct money from prepay.

Capping works by working out how much to deduct based on previous
journeys that day (this could be £0.00p if a cap is reached)

The "man on the clapham omnibus" does not need to know the
technicalities of oyster so probably wouldn't understand - or desire -
a system which said:
"Once you have spent £X on the tube, bus, etc. in a single day you can
now use national rail services within zones x,y with the same
oystercard, however, you can't use the train services followed by the
tube then bus"

Hence they don't do it

Plus it would mean making national rail fares zonal which is *bad*
because NR is substantialy cheaper than LU zonal fares on (at least)
the Hounslow loop and probably other chunks of the rail network that I
don't use.

Hope this explains something

--
Chris

Colin Rosenstiel January 5th 06 12:07 AM

In article , (Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 00:43 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article .com,

(Richard Adamfi) wrote:

If you think it is a con, blame the TOCs for not accepting Oyster,
rather than Ken/TfL.

The TOCs were forced by the Government not to adopt Oyster because
it was not Standards-compliant.

This is news to me - where did you get this snippet of information
from?
Oh and what standards?

Read Uncle Roger (Ford) in Modern Railways, repeatedly, and learn.

Oyster is not ITSO-compliant and the DfT, who pay the TOC bills, won't
pay for non-ITSO-compliant kit. Figures.

Luckily, moves to make Oyster ITSO-compliant seem to be progressing at
last.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin Rosenstiel January 5th 06 12:07 AM

In article , ] (Arthur Figgis) wrote:

Is Oyster technology proprietory, or can anyone get the specs and make
their own kit if they want?

I believe Transys own it. The government's problem with Oyster is the
risk of supplier lock-in.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin Rosenstiel January 5th 06 12:07 AM

wrote:

Another problem is that, as far as I'm aware, none of the PC-based
Ticket Issuing Systems can be updated to support Oyster, so TOCs
would either need to replace their systems (again) or get machines
similar to those used by TfL Ticket Stops (formerly Pass Agents).

I don't think is true at all. Any of the PC based systems are far
easier to upgrade than APTIS ever was and I saw and used the prototype
smartcard reader attached to an APTIS machine over 6 years ago! The
option of using PASS EPOS machines was looked at but was obviously
frowned upon from an accounting and audit viewpoint by Rail Settlement
Plan who are the guardians of National Rail ticketing / accounting
standards for retailing.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But apparently not. Again, see Modern
Railways.

[...]

It's politics alright, but not the sort you're thinking of. See my other
posts on this.

The risk of supplier lock-in is a very valid one when the general
taxpayer is paying, IMHO.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive D. W. Feather January 5th 06 07:20 AM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

In article , Paul Corfield
writes
You're obviously entitled to your view about privacy but I have no real
issue about that information being captured by TfL. Perhaps that's
because I know how the system was designed and partly because I work for
TfL and can't see how they can use the information in some malign way.

The problem isn't so much TfL themselves, as others.

TfL are required to hand that information to the police if demanded. I
think (this not being an electronic communications system under RIPA)
that it requires a PACE order. [If this were an ECS, there's different
paperwork a long collection of other people, from MI6 down to the Royal
Mail (but not the Egg Marketing Board), also entitled to ask.]

PC Plod thinks that his wife is having an affair. Under pretext of some
investigation, he demands details of all Oysters touching out at his
local station between 10:00 and 11:00 one day, then looks through them
for likely "suspects". Similar things have been done with the DVLA
records, so please don't tell me it's impossible.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Ian Jelf January 5th 06 01:58 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
TfL are required to hand that information to the police if demanded. I
think (this not being an electronic communications system under RIPA)
that it requires a PACE order. [If this were an ECS, there's different
paperwork a long collection of other people, from MI6 down to the Royal
Mail (but not the Egg Marketing Board),

That's a relief!

also entitled to ask.]

PC Plod thinks that his wife is having an affair. Under pretext of some
investigation, he demands details of all Oysters touching out at his
local station between 10:00 and 11:00 one day, then looks through them
for likely "suspects". Similar things have been done with the DVLA
records, so please don't tell me it's impossible.

Indeed. A personnel colleague [1] of mine works for a major public
authority which has a department specifically to monitor its staff to
check on/prevent them doing exactly that sort of thing under exactly
those circumstances. I'm not usually paranoid about Big Brother but
learning that did give me a bit of a jolt to be honest.

[1] My profession in the days when I had a "proper job".
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Mizter T January 5th 06 02:28 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

Barry Salter wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 22:04:59 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Scott"
wrote:

snip

For what it's worth, Southern switched to a zonal pricing structure on
Monday...

Er, Southern were using this zonal pricing structure last year (2005)
as well. I have PDF's of their 'FarePal' literature from last year to
prove it.

Peter Lawrence January 5th 06 04:56 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 01:07 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

This is news to me - where did you get this snippet of information
from?
Oh and what standards?

Read Uncle Roger (Ford) in Modern Railways, repeatedly, and learn.

Oyster is not ITSO-compliant and the DfT, who pay the TOC bills, won't
pay for non-ITSO-compliant kit. Figures.

Luckily, moves to make Oyster ITSO-compliant seem to be progressing at
last.

Since ITSO exists only as a specification, one wonders why it was not
drafted to be Oyster-compatible.
--
Peter Lawrence

Paul Corfield January 5th 06 05:16 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 01:07 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

wrote:

Another problem is that, as far as I'm aware, none of the PC-based
Ticket Issuing Systems can be updated to support Oyster, so TOCs
would either need to replace their systems (again) or get machines
similar to those used by TfL Ticket Stops (formerly Pass Agents).

I don't think is true at all. Any of the PC based systems are far
easier to upgrade than APTIS ever was and I saw and used the prototype
smartcard reader attached to an APTIS machine over 6 years ago! The
option of using PASS EPOS machines was looked at but was obviously
frowned upon from an accounting and audit viewpoint by Rail Settlement
Plan who are the guardians of National Rail ticketing / accounting
standards for retailing.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But apparently not. Again, see Modern
Railways.

Yes I have read Roger Ford in Modern Railways. I still don't agree that
things are as he puts them. He isn't always right you know. The
technology is not the issue at all here.

Put very simply this is organisational and business "politics" of the
absolute worst kind where the customer comes last. I know - I
experienced the icy blasts of ATOC cynicism 7 or 8 years ago. I think
I had two allies in the room - from what was LTS Rail and Virgin Trains.
These company reps no longer work for either organisation but were
both people who could see the opportunities the technology would
provide and how it linked to other things that were happening in the
wider IT, Internet and retail markets.

It's politics alright, but not the sort you're thinking of. See my other
posts on this.

The risk of supplier lock-in is a very valid one when the general
taxpayer is paying, IMHO.

However neither you nor Roger Ford negotiated the IPR and licensing
provisions in the Prestige Contract. I did so I know what is possible if
only people had the will to do something about it.

ITSO was but a glint in someone's eye when we were negotiating the
contract and it was impossible to make provision for something that was
not necessarily even going to happen. LT (as was) could not wait for
what is now 7 years while other people eventually get round to devising
a common standard. Even GMPTE, who were supposed to be the smartcard
leaders for multiple application cards, had no idea where they were
going. I don't see a Smartcard scheme in operation in the Greater
Manchester area!
--
Paul C

Paul Corfield January 5th 06 05:20 PM

(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article , ] (Arthur Figgis) wrote:

Is Oyster technology proprietory, or can anyone get the specs and make
their own kit if they want?

I believe Transys own it.

You would be wrong. There are appropriate licensing provisions so other
manufacturers can make compatible kit. It was not acceptable for us to
create a contract that would lock everyone into Transys.

The government's problem with Oyster is the
risk of supplier lock-in.

No the government's problem is that it wants ITSO to be the standard
despite being 10 years behind the times. It also doesn't want to pay
anything to make any of this happen.

The government could make the TOCs adopt Oyster or any form of Smartcard
technology tomorrow if it was so minded. Given that it is going to slash
railway spending in about 12 months time I can't see that ITSO or Oyster
are anywhere on its priority list for dealing with the inevitable
political fall out of hacking our railway network to pieces. That,
however, is obviously another argument.
--
Paul C

Paul Corfield January 5th 06 05:28 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 01:07 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 00:43 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article .com,

(Richard Adamfi) wrote:

If you think it is a con, blame the TOCs for not accepting Oyster,
rather than Ken/TfL.

The TOCs were forced by the Government not to adopt Oyster because
it was not Standards-compliant.

This is news to me - where did you get this snippet of information
from?
Oh and what standards?

Read Uncle Roger (Ford) in Modern Railways, repeatedly, and learn.

Colin - you really don't need to lecture me and insist that I run off
like a child to learn something. I was well aware of the Modern Railway
stuff - I was interested to understand if you had *another* source of
information that would broaden the debate.

Oyster is not ITSO-compliant and the DfT, who pay the TOC bills, won't
pay for non-ITSO-compliant kit. Figures.

See my comments elsewhere - this is all "smoke and mirrors" from the
TOCs.

Luckily, moves to make Oyster ITSO-compliant seem to be progressing at
last.

But only off the back of the E Money contract that TfL are letting which
will exploit the Oyster card holding base. There are ITSO compatible
cards and readers being trialled on a number of bus services in West
London at present. This is not funded by government but by TfL. The
equipment is also provided by the great evil, money grabbing Transys
company who, of course, have no interest in ITSO compatibility!

ITSO compatible equipment will be funded commercially off the back of a
TfL initiative. There is no need for TfL to be doing any of this. I'd
be interested to see if the TOCs will be prepared to "take a risk" about
co-operating with the wider scheme or whether they will still lock
themselves away in their little insular world of 7 year franchises
pretending the real world isn't outside.

The TOCs need to "grow up" and understand where their best interests
lie. Being awkward about a major ticketing initiative in the country's
capital city is not the way to go about things, IMO.
--
Paul C

PRAR January 5th 06 10:30 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

DERWENT Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual
travelcard?
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 00:36:35 -0000, "Chris"

.. .
wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 00:43 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article .com,
(Richard Adamfi) wrote:

If you think it is a con, blame the TOCs for not accepting Oyster,
rather than Ken/TfL.

The TOCs were forced by the Government not to adopt Oyster because it was
not Standards-compliant.

This is news to me - where did you get this snippet of information from?

The standards problem has been in the railway press - probably in
Modern Railways and elsewhere.

Also mentioned by the mayor here
http://mqt.london.gov.uk//public/question.do?id=12553. I can see where the
TOC's are coming from on this issue, it seems Livingston is insisting they
pay for the 'retailing and validation capability' of oyster installation in
stations when the dft is developing (presumably still a work in progress) a
separate system for the rest of the UK, which they will be installing a few
years later.

Are there any good reasons for not making Oyster the standard for the
whole of the UK?

Why reinvent the wheel?

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/ and http://prar.fotopic.net/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. --Dick Cavett

Arthur Figgis January 5th 06 11:02 PM

Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article , ] (Arthur Figgis) wrote:

Is Oyster technology proprietory, or can anyone get the specs and make
their own kit if they want?

I believe Transys own it.

You would be wrong. There are appropriate licensing provisions so other
manufacturers can make compatible kit. It was not acceptable for us to
create a contract that would lock everyone into Transys.

So if Figgis Smartcards Ltd wanted to churn out Oyster-compatible
equipment cheaper than whoever now makes it, there would be nothing to
stop it?

The government's problem with Oyster is the
risk of supplier lock-in.

No the government's problem is that it wants ITSO to be the standard
despite being 10 years behind the times. It also doesn't want to pay
anything to make any of this happen.

Which surely leaves the TOCs stuck in the middle until something which
meets both requirements is available?

The government could make the TOCs adopt Oyster or any form of Smartcard
technology tomorrow if it was so minded.

But could it (short of passing a new law or paying all the costs), if
it (presumably) isn't in the franchise agreements? If the TOCs have
all reached the same conclusion not to fit it, might this not tell us
something about whether it is worth the TOCs' while to do it?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK