Old July 23rd 03, 11:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The Worst Tube Station in London....were is it...

"Andrew" wrote in message ...

personally I found all the stations on the tunnel section of the Jubilee
line extension very depressing. Grey, bland, soulless architecture.

One thing I note on the new Jubilee line stations is how comparatively
devoid of advertising they are. The escalator shafts at London Bridge
have no advertising at all, compared with older stations which have
advertising the whole length of the walls. On platforms, too, there's
a bit of advertising but nowhere near as much as on the rest of the
network. Anyone know why?

Patrick

Old July 23rd 03, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

The Only Living Boy in New Cross writes
[on the JLE]
On platforms, too, there's a bit of advertising but nowhere near as
much as on the rest of the network. Anyone know why?

I would have thought that the 'glass wall' would make the standard
'large poster on the opposite wall' adverts less visible - and thus not
worthwhile.

--
Dave
Old July 23rd 03, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
So which do you reckon is the hardest to pronounce?

For people whose first language is not English, the one with GHTSBR in the
middle of its name.
--
Richard J.

Old July 23rd 03, 01:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave" wrote in message
ronnie biggs writes

Define 'worst'?

Ugliest? Smelliest? Most vandalised? Poorest service? Most
inaccessible to people with children in buggies? Hardest to
pronounce?

Waterloo (Bakerloo line) has smelt like sick for years.

It certainly has! What is that smell?

And what about the strange smell of fish on the escalator going up to
the Westbound Circle/District Line at Westminster? Most unpleasent.
Old July 23rd 03, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mark G" wrote in message
m...

And what about the strange smell of fish on the escalator going up to
the Westbound Circle/District Line at Westminster? Most unpleasent.

Her name's Margaret. :-))

Old July 23rd 03, 11:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:52:36 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
So which do you reckon is the hardest to pronounce?

For people whose first language is not English, the one with GHTSBR in the
middle of its name.

Naah.

Gotta be

Leicester Square (Ly-cester Square) or

Maida Vale (Maddyah Valet)

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old July 24th 03, 12:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robert Woolley writes
So which do you reckon is the hardest to pronounce?

For people whose first language is not English, the one with GHTSBR in the
middle of its name.

Naah.

Gotta be
Leicester Square (Ly-cester Square) or
Maida Vale (Maddyah Valet)

Plaistow and Theydon Bois catch out quite a few of the locals - let
alone tourists.

--
Dave
Old July 24th 03, 05:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave wrote:
Robert Woolley writes

So which do you reckon is the hardest to pronounce?

For people whose first language is not English, the one with GHTSBR
in the
middle of its name.

Naah.

Gotta be
Leicester Square (Ly-cester Square) or
Maida Vale (Maddyah Valet)

Plaistow and Theydon Bois catch out quite a few of the locals - let
alone tourists.

Plaistow catches out the Annoying Recorded Woman...

Old July 24th 03, 12:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave" wrote in message
Robert Woolley writes
So which do you reckon is the hardest to pronounce?

For people whose first language is not English, the one with GHTSBR in

the
middle of its name.

Naah.

Gotta be
Leicester Square (Ly-cester Square) or
Maida Vale (Maddyah Valet)

Plaistow and Theydon Bois catch out quite a few of the locals - let
alone tourists.

Would I be right in saying Theydon Bois as "thaydun bo-iss"?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old July 24th 03, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
Robert Woolley writes
So which do you reckon is the hardest to pronounce?

For people whose first language is not English, the one with GHTSBR in

the
middle of its name.

Naah.

Gotta be
Leicester Square (Ly-cester Square) or
Maida Vale (Maddyah Valet)

Plaistow and Theydon Bois catch out quite a few of the locals - let
alone tourists.

Would I be right in saying Theydon Bois as "thaydun bo-iss"?

Almost, I'm a Chingford lad, born & bred and myself and everyone I've known
from the area have pronouced it "thaydun boy's". Of course, as we spent our
youth keeping Courage (Directors) Ind Coope (Burton) Green King (Abbot) &
MacMullens (anything) in profit or attempting to smoke the entire output of
Nepal & Afganistan whilst "down the 'Liz" listening to "Exium", we might
have got it wrong :-)
--
Cheers, Steve.
If The Good Lord had meant for us to be fiscally prudent, He would not have