Old July 30th 03, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Nuisance cookies

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
But it doesn't take any expertise to understand that such sites are paid

for
by advertising, no advertising = no publicly availalbe free to use sites".

No of course it doesn't. Well in all honesty I actually thought the Forum
was hosted by "some ONE" rather than a free sign up type affair and I just
couldn't work out where all the pops ups were commin from at first because I
visit loads of sites all simultaneously so I often have loads of different
sites at the same time that I sometimes minimise in IExplorer browser. But I
doubt if your gonna believe that true as it is. All the Forums I've ever
used are hosted by some individual I mean I got phpBB2 just installed
(nothing on it) on my own webspace see : http://cgi.centaur.plus.com/phpBB2
and there's no push pop ups on that. You could use that for your Train
Forum.

When I discovered it was the Transport Forum doing it I was incensed at
this. The Ad aware I kept running threw up that the cookies were "miners".
What they hell they are I don't know but whatever a "miner" is I know pretty
damn invasive probably responsible for passing info to all and sundry then
ya get bombarded with unwanted e mails . I get enough of them already, don't
we all? The other thing that hapens is you get executables arrive on your
desktop. Its all very well for others to start blabbin' on about what do I
expect and what's a few pop ups an all that, well of course now I see its a
free host, so obviously I know now don't I.

The other thing is its always useful to have members on the Forum that are
actually Train Drivers because they at least can update with knowledge from
insider perspective. Not to have me as a member for what I could
occasionally post to help is clearly a downside I would say, especially as
the reason is a simply corrected one, i.e., as a result of pushing pop ups
on my computer. It seems now as though I can stop this, due to the very
kind post from Peter Wright whereby i'm sure many others who posted on the
Transport Forum about this annoying feature will undoubtably use. But thats
life and the slagging off is done and I'm not getting on my knees to
apologise. But it doesn't mean I won't return some day even as "guest" after
all I thought it was a really good site. Shame.

DR

Old July 30th 03, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Newt wrote:

Peter Wright wrote:

If you want to block the paypal advert at the bottom of the page, which
is the item that generates the warning symbol in IE, add this:

127.0.0.1 www.paypal.com

Worth mentioning that this is a bit of a brute force approach. Make sure
you never again wish to access any part of the paypal web site if you
enter the above!

Oh, by the way, there's some very nice lists of sites to do this to
he

http://www.kraftvoll.ch/HOSTS

http://technoerotica.net/mylog/hostfile.html

http://www.smartin-designs.com/

Dave
Old August 9th 03, 12:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Pre-38" wrote in message .. .
Wow! thanks very much Peter for that. Unfortunately I've already slagged off
his Forum for this, plus he's called me an asshole.

Yeah I know him, its pot calling the kettle black.