Old July 22nd 03, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Nuisance cookies

The website below pushes unwanted pop up screens all over yer darn computer
screen. Just to let anyone know where they come from.
http://billz1064.proboards.com/ "The Transport Forum"
DR

Old July 22nd 03, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:17:08 +0100, "Pre-38"
wrote:

The website below pushes unwanted pop up screens all over yer darn computer
screen. Just to let anyone know where they come from.
http://billz1064.proboards.com/ "The Transport Forum"
DR

You obviously have little or no idea on how the internet works -
discussion boards are not free - they are paid for by advertising,
hence the pop-ups - or are you one of those people who refuses to
watch any TV channel except BBC, after all, all the others keep
plastering adverts all over yout television?

Old July 22nd 03, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
lid writes
wrote:

The website below pushes unwanted pop up screens all over yer darn computer
screen. Just to let anyone know where they come from.
http://billz1064.proboards.com/ "The Transport Forum"
DR

Just what is your problem? Do you still expect a free lunch at your
age? If you want something you've got to pay for it and message boards
are no different. Either you pay cash, or on the internet you get some
adverts. Do you get "free" newspapers through your front door? Same
principle!

Just run anti-popup software. Pop-up ad filter from Meaya works for me,
but there are others. Run Spybot too - many of the pop-ups 'kindly' dump
malware on your computer.
--
Steve
Old July 23rd 03, 01:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Pre-38" wrote in message ...
The website below pushes unwanted pop up screens all over yer darn computer
screen. Just to let anyone know where they come from.
http://billz1064.proboards.com/ "The Transport Forum"
DR

Listen, not trying to cause a big fight here - but you can't expect
anything free not to have a catch - in this case our forum gets a
few... a FEW pop ups and pop unders to pay for the free hosting we get
and even they are soon to go.

If you don't like it - don't go to the forums but don't go slagging us
for as we have over 200 members who can handle a few pop ups for a
great discussion place for transport.

I seriously don't why a FEW pop ups stop you from coming - it just
sounds crazy.
Old July 24th 03, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Acrosticus" wrote in message

Yeah, but TV adverts don't place "data miners" or "keystroke

trackers"on your
system like some of these cookies and pop-ups do. Like the one that

stuck one
on mine, grabbed my passwords and used one of my addresses to send

out 700
e-mails one night when I wasn't even on line! In fact, I was in bed!

Use a decent firewall such as Zone Alarm... This will block pop-ups
and will manage/prevent cookies as well as preventing anything being
written onto your computer. Since installing ZA, I've been amazed how
many attempts are made to access my computer - currently shows 58848
attempts blocked over the last 12 weeks!

Old July 29th 03, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Pre-38" wrote in
:

The website below pushes unwanted pop up screens all over yer darn
computer screen. Just to let anyone know where they come from.
http://billz1064.proboards.com/ "The Transport Forum"
DR

DR: Are you using Windows?
If you are, you have a no-cost remedy immediately to hand.

Look on your PC for a file called hosts.
In Windows ME you'll find it he C:\WINDOWS\hosts
In Win 2000 it's he C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

You can edit this file with Notepad.

Add these lines to block the pop-ups on this site:

127.0.0.1 www.banners.4d5.net
127.0.0.1 banners.4d5.net
127.0.0.1 www.4d5.net

If you want to block the advert panel at the top, add this line:

127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com

If you want to block the paypal advert at the bottom of the page, which
is the item that generates the warning symbol in IE, add this:

127.0.0.1 www.paypal.com

And if you want to block the page's counter, add this:

127.0.0.1 c3.thecounter.com

Now you can browse *that* site in privacy.

Old July 30th 03, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Wow! thanks very much Peter for that. Unfortunately I've already slagged off
his Forum for this, plus he's called me an asshole. Still it'll be useful
for all sites in future. This is amazing thanks again Peter. Takes an
expert to know about these things.
DaveR

Old July 30th 03, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Pre-38" wrote in message
Wow! thanks very much Peter for that. Unfortunately I've already slagged

off
his Forum for this, plus he's called me an asshole. Still it'll be useful
for all sites in future. This is amazing thanks again Peter. Takes an
expert to know about these things.
DaveR

But it doesn't take any expertise to understand that such sites are paid for
by advertising, no advertising = no publicly availalbe free to use sites".
Why do you want something for nothing when the price is only a mouse click
or two? Do you aplly the same logic to TV and refuse to buy anything that's
advertised on it?