Old January 18th 06, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Sam Sam is offline

Default Cnary Wharf Route Comments

Hi Everyone

My company is due to be relocating to Canary Wharf and I wanted any
suggestions regarding travel.

I currently live 5 minutes walk from Totteridge & Whetstone (Northern Line)
and 10 minute walk from Oakleigh Park (Wagn).

The best route which I have come up with is Northern Line to Bank and then
DLR to CW (About an hour).

Does anyone have any experience of this journey ?

I'd be grateful for any other suggestions / comments.

Cheers

Old January 18th 06, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sam":
My company is due to be relocating to Canary Wharf and I wanted any
suggestions regarding travel.

I currently live 5 minutes walk from Totteridge & Whetstone (Northern Line)
and 10 minute walk from Oakleigh Park (Wagn).

The best route which I have come up with is Northern Line to Bank and then
DLR to CW (About an hour).

I think it would be quicker - though only by 5-10 minutes - to stay on
the Northern line to London Bridge and take the Jubilee. It may be
slightly less pleasant though as it'd be harder to get a seat on the
second leg of the journey.

Jonn

Old January 18th 06, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Canary Wharf Route Comments

In ,
Sam typed:

My company is due to be relocating to Canary Wharf and I wanted any
suggestions regarding travel.

I currently live 5 minutes walk from Totteridge & Whetstone (Northern
Line) and 10 minute walk from Oakleigh Park (Wagn).

The best route which I have come up with is Northern Line to Bank and
then DLR to CW (About an hour).

Does anyone have any experience of this journey ?

I'd be grateful for any other suggestions / comments.

The total journey time from Oakleigh Park might be about 10 minutes
quicker but this would be outweighed by the longer waiting time for a
WAGN train, the need to make two changes and your longer walk to the
station.

It doesn't seem to me that there would be any great time diference
between the two Northern line options (change at Bank onto DLR - or -
change at London Bridge onto Jubilee), but Jonn's point about seat
availability would be valid. For the same reason it might be preferable
to return via Jubillee and Northern rather than DLR and Northern.

You may want to put your journey into the TfL Journey Planner at:
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...ptionsActive=1
You can enter your postcode to ensure that the planner knows exactly
where you are starting from. It would be interesting to see whether any
WAGN journeys are offered.

--
Bob

Old January 18th 06, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:22:44 +0000 (UTC), Sam wrote:
My company is due to be relocating to Canary Wharf and I wanted any
suggestions regarding travel.

I currently live 5 minutes walk from Totteridge & Whetstone (Northern Line)
and 10 minute walk from Oakleigh Park (Wagn).

The best route which I have come up with is Northern Line to Bank and then
DLR to CW (About an hour).

Does anyone have any experience of this journey ?

My usual commute is Woodside Park to South Quay via Bank. It takes
about an hour and 5 minutes and if you stand in the right place on
the platforms you should get a seat for both legs in both directions,
when things are running normally...
Old January 18th 06, 02:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Walters wrote in uk.transport.london on Wed, 18 Jan 2006
13:47:18 +0000 :

My usual commute is Woodside Park to South Quay via Bank. It takes
about an hour and 5 minutes and if you stand in the right place on
the platforms you should get a seat for both legs in both directions,

....but if you can only get one leg on the seat, do you have to hop it?

SCNR

Old January 18th 06, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Wood wrote:

The total journey time from Oakleigh Park might be about 10 minutes
quicker but this would be outweighed by the longer waiting time for a
WAGN train, the need to make two changes and your longer walk to the
station.

I don't know what WAGN's reliability is like but on SWT, I really value
the fact that my trains go regularly at 06, 21, 36 and 51 minutes past
each hour instead of randomly when using the tube. Granted the tube is
more frequent generally, but I feel I can depend on a timetabled train
more than a "every x minutes" service. Delays occur roughly once a
fortnight on my line.

Cheers

Steve M

Old January 18th 06, 11:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Once upon a time -- around about 1/18/06 08:47 --
possibly wrote:

when things are running normally...

Now THAT'S dodgy at best.

--
Frodo Baggins' New Year's Resolution "To ditch the bloody ring. And get
laid." (A London Times article by James Morgan 12-31-02)

Old January 19th 06, 06:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Bob Wood wrote:
In ,
Sam typed:

[...]

The DLR is a lot more reliable than the Jubilee.

Old January 19th 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I would do DLR from Bank on the way in, because...
1) The Jubilee is only slightly faster than the DLR. And as there's a
2 min journey from Bank to LB and the walk is slightly longer there,
there really won't be much in it.
2) There's often a scrum to get on the Jubilee Line in the mornings,
you can hardly ever get a seat, and there are quite often delays. The
DLR usually runs like clockwork in the mornings and, once you learn
where to stand, can nearly always get a seat.

And going home I'd do Jubilee to London bridge because...
1) The Jubilee is only slightly faster than the DLR. And as there's a
2 min journey from Bank to LB and the walk is slightly longer there,
there really won't be much in it.
2) The Jubilee usually runs quite well in the evenings and you can
generally get a seat. DLR likewise.
3) The Northern Line usually fills up at London Bridge so, if you get
on at Bank, you're unlikely to find a seat on that