Old May 11th 07, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

Default Ken's comments on Metronet

I know this guy hates the PPP's but I thought his comments about the
best thing to happen would be for Metronet to go bankrupt was a bit
out of order for the Mayor of London and a senior member of the Labour
party.
I am sure that the many suppliers that would suffer financial hardship
not to mention the workers who would lose out financially as well.
Given that a Labour Government put the PPP's in place and now he is
back in the fold shouldn't he keep his mouth shut on such issues.

Kevin

Old May 11th 07, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 May, 13:03, Kev wrote:
I know this guy hates the PPP's but I thought his comments about the
best thing to happen would be for Metronet to go bankrupt was a bit
out of order for the Mayor of London and a senior member of the Labour
party.

I agree with him.

I am sure that the many suppliers that would suffer financial hardship
not to mention the workers who would lose out financially as well.

No they wouldn't , maintenance would have to continue and the workers
would simply be taken back in house by LU.

Given that a Labour Government put the PPP's in place and now he is
back in the fold shouldn't he keep his mouth shut on such issues.

In a free country he's entitled to express his opinion especially
given virtually nobody other than the bean counters in the treasury
thought it was a good idea to start with.

B2003

Old May 11th 07, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 11 May, 13:03, Kev wrote:
I know this guy hates the PPP's but I thought his comments about the
best thing to happen would be for Metronet to go bankrupt was a bit
out of order for the Mayor of London and a senior member of the Labour
party.

I agree with him.

I am sure that the many suppliers that would suffer financial hardship
not to mention the workers who would lose out financially as well.

No they wouldn't , maintenance would have to continue and the workers
would simply be taken back in house by LU.

Given that a Labour Government put the PPP's in place and now he is
back in the fold shouldn't he keep his mouth shut on such issues.

In a free country he's entitled to express his opinion especially
given virtually nobody other than the bean counters in the treasury
thought it was a good idea to start with.

Presumably the bidders did.

tim

Old May 11th 07, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 May, 18:51, "tim....." wrote:

Presumably the bidders did.

Doesn't say much about their financial acument does it.

B2003

Old May 12th 07, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 11 May, 13:03, Kev wrote:
[...]

He also the Mayor of London and a more responsible attitude might be
expected. I wonder what the reaction would be if the Defence Secretary said
that BAES should go bankrupt just because he a personal hatred of BAES.
Shouldn't Ken take it up with his mates Tony and Gordon. The contracts were
let legally.

Kevin

Old May 12th 07, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On May 12, 5:36 pm, "zen83237" wrote:
"Boltar" wrote in message

ps.com...

On 11 May, 13:03, Kev wrote:
[...]

A responsible attitude to whom? Obviously you don't mean to the
electorate or the users of public transport, but presumably to
whatever greedy interests benefit from the PPP nonsense.

Old May 12th 07, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 May, 13:03, Kev wrote:
I know this guy hates the PPP's but I thought his comments about the
best thing to happen would be for Metronet to go bankrupt was a bit
out of order for the Mayor of London and a senior member of the Labour
party.
I am sure that the many suppliers that would suffer financial hardship
not to mention the workers who would lose out financially as well.
Given that a Labour Government put the PPP's in place and now he is
back in the fold shouldn't he keep his mouth shut on such issues.

Metronet may be a troubled organisation, but things won't
automatically get better if they went bankrupt. For a start there's no
obvious replacement, and it's generally acknowledged that London
Underground doesn't have the ability to take back the maintenance role
at the drop of a hat.

To be fair to Ken, he was anti-PPP right from the start. We should
remember the fiasco when Gordon asks us to vote for him in a couple of
years time.

(We should also remember how Tony Blair told us he would serve a "full
third time". Another Labour promise broken...).

BRB Class 465.

Old May 12th 07, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 12, 5:36 pm, "zen83237" wrote:
He also the Mayor of London and a more responsible attitude might be
expected. I wonder what the reaction would be if the Defence Secretary said
that BAES should go bankrupt just because he a personal hatred of BAES.

If BAES had taken over control of the military from the MOD in some
non recindable multi decade contract by order of the treasury and
subsequently caused a number of battles to be lost by their
incompetance then I bloody well hope the defense secretary would say
something.

Shouldn't Ken take it up with his mates Tony and Gordon. The contracts were
let legally.

Thats debatable. Its the responsibilty of the government to get the
best deal for the nation from all aspects. Clearly this isn't the case
for PPP as far as metronet is concerned since its cost more and
delivered less than LU would have done in the same circumstances.
Since this was all fairly predictable given the state of the national
railways it could be argued that gordon brown and the treasury
deliberately forced this bitter pill onto london knowing full well the
end result and therefor their actions could be seen to be illegal
since they go against governmental mandate.

B2003

Old May 12th 07, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

More on Metromess from the BBC

No money, poor performance, and crap pay for the lowest, welcome to
Gordons world.
Old May 13th 07, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"www.waspies.net" wrote in message
More on Metromess from the BBC

No money, poor performance, and crap pay for the lowest, welcome to
Gordons world.

I'm sorry but I don't see where Metronet is mentioned other than with
Tubelines in the PPP sence. There is debate but you are just bashing!