Old January 22nd 06, 11:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Is it correct to use 999 in this case...?

Clive wrote:
I've an old mobile without a sim card in it but it will still make 112
calls when dialled.

Really? TTBOMK not a single network in the UK (real or 'virtual')
allows calls without a SIM. Or did you do this abroad?

It will certainly accept the number and say "Emergency Call" but will
not connect IME.

Jonathan

Old January 23rd 06, 12:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dr John Stockton wrote:

But one would not expect a world standard to apply in an American
system, and that's what Canada uses.

If I went to America, I'd almost certainly use my mobile if I needed to
call '911', but if I dialled 112 it would work.

If an American brought their tri/quad band GSM phone over here, and
dialled 911, they'd be connected.

So, besides going to a payphone or using a hotel phone (or whatever) it
doesn't really seem to be much a problem.

As for the original post comments, I'd always call 999 if there was
anything that was potentially dangerous and needed urgent attention.
That has been driving behind an obviously drunk driver (one who nearly
had a head-on, the other that did in fact go off the road and fly into
a ditch), seeing debris on the road, reporting a driver stopped in lane
3 of a motorway.

You aren't likely to be told off unless you're asking for advice on the
best exit to take to get to XYZ, or where the nearest McDonald's is!

I've got hands-free and wouldn't (and don't) hesistate to call - and I
hope that I've prevented at least one or two potentially fatal
incidents. Why leave it to someone else to call? The police and other
services are well used to multiple reports of the same incident, but
would prefer that over no reports.

Jonathan

Old January 25th 06, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:34:31 +0000, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

There are at least 30 places in the UK where phone numbers of the form
91xxxx are allocated.

What an interesting thing to know! Where do you find out this sort of
statistic?

Old January 25th 06, 01:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Laurence Payne
writes
wrote:

There are at least 30 places in the UK where phone numbers of the form
91xxxx are allocated.

What an interesting thing to know! Where do you find out this sort of
statistic?

Many of us learn this sort of thing from Clive! I'm not sure where
Clive gets it form but I suspect deep down that he was born knowing!
;-))
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old January 25th 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , Laurence Payne
writes
wrote:

There are at least 30 places in the UK where phone numbers of the form
91xxxx are allocated.

What an interesting thing to know! Where do you find out this sort of
statistic?

Many of us learn this sort of thing from Clive! I'm not sure where
Clive gets it form but I suspect deep down that he was born knowing!
;-))

Sorry to act as Devil's Advocate but it's on the Ofcom website
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi..._administered/
Download the spreadsheets for Geographic Number Ranges and look for
area codes (from the SABC columnm, area code is 0sabc) where status =
"Allocated" and the DE digits are "91".

Nick
--
So when is Tony Blair going to start treating *us* with respect ?
Old January 25th 06, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Nick Leverton
writes
Sorry to act as Devil's Advocate but it's on the Ofcom website

Sh!

Download the spreadsheets for Geographic Number Ranges and look for
area codes (from the SABC columnm, area code is 0sabc) where status =
"Allocated" and the DE digits are "91".

But you have to know that, for example, in Liverpool the DE digits are
the second and third. [That is, Liverpool is listed as 10 area codes,
1510 to 1519, so you have to look for *CDE* digits 911.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old January 26th 06, 08:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Nick Leverton
writes
Sorry to act as Devil's Advocate but it's on the Ofcom website

Sh!

I'm sure you still have sufficient fields of expertise to assure your
beatification

Assuming of course the fields aren't accidentally flooded ...

Download the spreadsheets for Geographic Number Ranges and look for
area codes (from the SABC columnm, area code is 0sabc) where status =
"Allocated" and the DE digits are "91".

But you have to know that, for example, in Liverpool the DE digits are
the second and third. [That is, Liverpool is listed as 10 area codes,
1510 to 1519, so you have to look for *CDE* digits 911.]

Ach of course, I'd forgotten that. Thankyou.

Nick
--
So when is Tony Blair going to start treating *us* with respect ?
Old January 26th 06, 06:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Nick Leverton:
I'm sure you still have sufficient fields of expertise to assure your
beatification

Assuming of course the fields aren't accidentally flooded ...

Sydney: I regrouped. You have to give me that. I stood in the
middle of the Oval Office and made it clear that he who doesn't
take the GDC seriously does so at his peril.

Beth: And then you walked out the wrong door.

Sydney: Are you going to keep throwing that back in my face
for the rest of my life?

Beth: That's my current plan, yes.

[From "The American President" (1995)]
--
Mark Brader | "And don't forget there were five separate computers
| in those days."
Toronto | -- Bob NE20G3018 (Ira Levin, "This Perfect Day")