Old January 23rd 06, 07:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster charging question

I'm signed up for the auto re-charge thingy - once your card has under £5
it adds £40 the next time you go to a tube station.

My balance is very low, and I'm unlikely to use the tube this week but
will need to use buses. If I go to the tube station and put my Oyster on a
gate (to recharge it) but don't travel, surely that will result in an
unresolved journey? Or can I 'charge' it on the big ticket machine, or ask
at the ticket window?

TIA,

Ian

Old January 23rd 06, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

I'm signed up for the auto re-charge thingy - once your card has under £5 it adds £40 the next
time you go to a tube station.

My balance is very low, and I'm unlikely to use the tube this week but will need to use buses. If
I go to the tube station and put my Oyster on a gate (to recharge it) but don't travel, surely
that will result in an unresolved journey? Or can I 'charge' it on the big ticket machine, or ask
at the ticket window?

You can go into negative balance on the bus and your card will auto top-up
when you next use the tube. Ask Oyster doesn't say by how much you can go
below £0. https://transportforlondon.custhelp.com/

You cannot auto top-up by presenting your card at the ticket machine or
by touching-in without travelling (well you can if you like but it will cost you
for the unresolved journey). If you don't like the idea of having a negative
balance add some money "manually" to your card at the ticket machine.

Old January 23rd 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian F. wrote:
I'm signed up for the auto re-charge thingy - once your card has
under £5 it adds £40 the next time you go to a tube station.

My balance is very low, and I'm unlikely to use the tube this week
but will need to use buses. If I go to the tube station and put my
Oyster on a gate (to recharge it) but don't travel, surely that
will result in an unresolved journey? Or can I 'charge' it on the
big ticket machine, or ask at the ticket window?

I think that if you recharge it at the gate but don't travel, you can
have the unresolved journey cancelled at the ticket window. This
certainly worked for me the first time I registered my auto-top-up
facility.
--
Richard J.

Old January 23rd 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"TKD" wrote in message

If you don't like the idea of having a negative
balance add some money "manually" to your card at the ticket machine.

Thanks, that sounds like a likely solution - it'll always get used. Thanks
too to Richard.

Ian

Old January 24th 06, 02:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:50:55 -0000, "Ian F."
wrote:

I'm signed up for the auto re-charge thingy - once your card has under £5
it adds £40 the next time you go to a tube station.

My balance is very low, and I'm unlikely to use the tube this week but
will need to use buses. If I go to the tube station and put my Oyster on a
gate (to recharge it) but don't travel, surely that will result in an
unresolved journey? Or can I 'charge' it on the big ticket machine, or ask
at the ticket window?

Just because you're signed up for auto top-up doesn't mean you can't
buy Oyster in other ways. Give the man or the machine money. They
will replenish your Oyster.

Old January 24th 06, 06:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Laurence Payne" wrote in message

Just because you're signed up for auto top-up doesn't mean you can't
buy Oyster in other ways. Give the man or the machine money. They
will replenish your Oyster.

Excellent - will do, thanks.

Ian

Old January 24th 06, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I'm signed up for the auto re-charge thingy - once your card has under £5
it adds £40 the next time you go to a tube station.

Very useful it is too, though it only seems to do it if you are under £5 on
entry and not if it is your journey that takes you under £5, or at least
that's what happened to me over Christmas.

Also I suspect that a strange error message on one bus about the card not
being valid in the zone or area might have been caused by the auto-topup
settings not being understood correctly by that particular reader but I
suspect even more strongly I may be talking drivel ;-)

My balance is very low, and I'm unlikely to use the tube this week but
will need to use buses.

For similar reasons I find the £5 threshold a little on the low side. I'd
prefer it to be a tenner. I wonder if there is any scope in the system for
variable amounts in future.

If I go to the tube station and put my Oyster on a
gate (to recharge it) but don't travel, surely that will result in an
unresolved journey? Or can I 'charge' it on the big ticket machine, or ask
at the ticket window?

As I am sure others will have said, auto-topup doesn't stop you topping up
your card normally. So a ticket machine or ticket window or Ticket Stop
newsagent does the job.

G.

Old January 26th 06, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 03:34:59 +0000, Laurence Payne
wrote:

Just because you're signed up for auto top-up doesn't mean you can't
buy Oyster in other ways. Give the man or the machine money. They
will replenish your Oyster.

Can't you top up online as well?
Old January 26th 06, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:02:12 GMT, Phil Clark
wrote:

Just because you're signed up for auto top-up doesn't mean you can't
buy Oyster in other ways. Give the man or the machine money. They
will replenish your Oyster.

Can't you top up online as well?

Sure. But to collect the top-up you have to touch at a nominated
Underground station. Why not do it automatically?
Old January 27th 06, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:05:26 +0000, Laurence Payne
wrote:

Can't you top up online as well?

Sure. But to collect the top-up you have to touch at a nominated
Underground station. Why not do it automatically?

Because the data is on your card. Otherwise, every time you touched
in on a 'bus, the system would have to interrogate a central database
to see if you had credit.