Old April 30th 07, 08:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Zone 2-3 Travelcard. Charging Question.

On Saturday I traveled from Wood Green to Notting Hill and then later
returned from Ladbroke Grove to Wood Green.

I was charged £1.50 each way. Can I ask if this is correct seeing as I
have a zone 2-3 tavelcard?

Many thanks,

Old April 30th 07, 08:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave wrote:
On Saturday I traveled from Wood Green to Notting Hill and then later
returned from Ladbroke Grove to Wood Green.

I was charged £1.50 each way. Can I ask if this is correct seeing as I
have a zone 2-3 tavelcard?

Perfectly correct, as there is no obvious way of travelling between the
stations in question without passing through Zone 1, and £1.50 is the
Oyster Single fare for a journey in Zone 1.

Had you travelled by bus all the way (or at least from somewhere in Zone
2), and not used the Tube in Zone 1, then you wouldn't have been charged
any extra.

HTH,

Barry
Old April 30th 07, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:

Perfectly correct, as there is no obvious way of travelling between the
stations in question without passing through Zone 1, and £1.50 is the
Oyster Single fare for a journey in Zone 1.

Notting Hill Gate is in an odd position zonewise.

Is Notting Hill Gate to Heathrow treated as Z1-6 or Z2-6? How about
Notting Hill Gate to Acton Town?

If they're treated as Z2-6, am I breaking any rules if I travel via
Earl's Court rather than Ealing Broadway? And if they're treated as
Z1-6 by default, is there any way to prove to the system that I traveled
via Ealing Broadway (e.g., touch an Oyster pad at Ealing Broadway) so
I'm charged the lower fare?
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old April 30th 07, 04:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30 Apr, 16:37, David of Broadway
wrote:
Is Notting Hill Gate to Heathrow treated as Z1-6 or Z2-6? How about
Notting Hill Gate to Acton Town?

Both are charged as via Zone 1 according to the fares finder:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/fa...07/farefinder/

(to work out zones you need to know the nominal single fares, which I
don't think are online any more)

If they're treated as Z2-6, am I breaking any rules if I travel via
Earl's Court rather than Ealing Broadway? And if they're treated as
Z1-6 by default, is there any way to prove to the system that I traveled
via Ealing Broadway (e.g., touch an Oyster pad at Ealing Broadway) so
I'm charged the lower fare?

As I understand it, each pair of stations is assigned a particular
fare, regardless of route taken. If you touch the reader at Ealing
Broadway you'd probably just be charged for a new journey. Similarly,
there a few journeys where you have to touch a reader halfway through,
but it doesn't affect the fare calculation (eg If the fare is set as
not via Z1, and you use an out-of-station interchange in Z1, it
doesn't increase the fare).

Old April 30th 07, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:37:19 -0400, David of Broadway wrote:

Notting Hill Gate is in an odd position zonewise.

Is Notting Hill Gate to Heathrow treated as Z1-6 or Z2-6? How about
Notting Hill Gate to Acton Town?

If they're treated as Z2-6, am I breaking any rules if I travel via
Earl's Court rather than Ealing Broadway?

No.

And if they're treated as
Z1-6 by default, is there any way to prove to the system that I traveled
via Ealing Broadway (e.g., touch an Oyster pad at Ealing Broadway) so
I'm charged the lower fare?

No. Though if you wanted, you could leave through the barriers at
Ealing Broadway and re-enter, making it two journeys instead of one.
This would prevent you being charged an excess fare if you had a Z2-6
Travelcard season on your Oyster.

Old April 30th 07, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Barry Salter wrote:

Perfectly correct, as there is no obvious way of travelling between the
stations in question without passing through Zone 1, and £1.50 is the
Oyster Single fare for a journey in Zone 1.

Notting Hill Gate is in an odd position zonewise.

Is Notting Hill Gate to Heathrow treated as Z1-6 or Z2-6? How about
Notting Hill Gate to Acton Town?

1-6, which is logical, since NHG-EB-AT-H123 is an illogical route. I'd
only try that one with a Z2-6 travelcard.
Old April 30th 07, 05:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Is Notting Hill Gate to Heathrow treated as Z1-6 or Z2-6? How about
Notting Hill Gate to Acton Town?

Both are charged as via Zone 1 according to the fares finder:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/fa...07/farefinder/

(to work out zones you need to know the nominal single fares, which I
don't think are online any more)

I could only find the PDF of the leaflet:
http://tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/1071.aspx
Old April 30th 07, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Barry Salter wrote:

Perfectly correct, as there is no obvious way of travelling between the
stations in question without passing through Zone 1, and £1.50 is the
Oyster Single fare for a journey in Zone 1.

Notting Hill Gate is in an odd position zonewise.

Is Notting Hill Gate to Heathrow treated as Z1-6 or Z2-6? How about
Notting Hill Gate to Acton Town?

1-6, which is logical, since NHG-EB-AT-H123 is an illogical route. I'd
only try that one with a Z2-6 travelcard.

It's illogical to reduce the cost of a single trip from £3.50 or £2.00
to £1.80 or £1.00? It's one extra transfer and only a few extra minutes.

And what if you /do/ have a Z2-6 Travelcard?

How about Notting Hill Gate to Acton Town, where it's two transfers in
either case?
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old April 30th 07, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:

No. Though if you wanted, you could leave through the barriers at
Ealing Broadway and re-enter, making it two journeys instead of one.
This would prevent you being charged an excess fare if you had a Z2-6
Travelcard season on your Oyster.

Oddly enough, even with just PAYG, if you did this off-peak, it would
neither cost you nor save you anything; during peak hours, it would
actually save you £0.70, despite making it two journeys instead of one!
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old April 30th 07, 06:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:
Similarly,
there a few journeys where you have to touch a reader halfway through,
but it doesn't affect the fare calculation (eg If the fare is set as
not via Z1, and you use an out-of-station interchange in Z1, it
doesn't increase the fare).

Very interesting. Examples?
--
David of Broadway