Old January 31st 06, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ladies & Gentlemen

d ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

'On leaving the train, please ensure you have all your personal
possessions with you.'

Has no effect on the terminally scatter-brained AFAICT...

But would have an effect on someone who isn't scatter-brained, but has
left something behind.

If they're still on the train, then they don't realise that they're about
to leave something behind.

If they've just left the train, then by the time they DO realise, the train
doors are closed and the train is just disappearing into the tunnel...

Old January 31st 06, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian F. ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

"There is currently a one second pause good one second pause service
on the Northern Line".

The second pause is needed - for the laughter to die down.
Old January 31st 06, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Ian F. ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were
saying :

"There is currently a one second pause good one second pause service
on the Northern Line".

The second pause is needed - for the laughter to die down.

Adrian
stay out of this thread, you're out of your depth.

Old January 31st 06, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
d ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

'On leaving the train, please ensure you have all your personal
possessions with you.'

Has no effect on the terminally scatter-brained AFAICT...

But would have an effect on someone who isn't scatter-brained, but has
left something behind.

If they're still on the train, then they don't realise that they're about
to leave something behind.

Sorry - in the process of leaving something behind. As in they are with
their soon-to-be-lost property, but have forgotten they have it with them.

Old January 31st 06, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...

The second pause is needed - for the laughter to die down.

LOL.

Ian

Old January 31st 06, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . 170,
Adrian writes
Ian F. ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

"There is currently a one second pause good one second pause service
on the Northern Line".

The second pause is needed - for the laughter to die down.

Or the sobbing...... on a bad night :-)

--
Edward Cowling London UK
Old January 31st 06, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:

Whenever I come to the end of tours, be it for half a day or for several
days' duration, I always do an announcement about not leaving things
behind which I endeavour to make sound spontaneous and with feeling,
rather than just being well, an announcement. But people still leave
things, even after they've been told the tale of an incident many years
ago now, when someone left behind their artificial foot.......

Thanks. I appreciate it. I have a tendency to leave things behind,
especially when things aren't routine. The announcements help.

I recently left a much loved scarf on a train (I was very tired and had
flu so wasn't thinking). Railways don't handle lost property very well
nowadays I'm afraid.

Francis

Old January 31st 06, 10:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

d wrote:

But you never see the items from people who would have left something, but
upon hearing the announcement remembered to take their items with them...
so it'll always appear, from lost-baggage's perspective, that the
announcements don't work :-P

They could test it by not playing the announcement for a month and
seeing if the number of left items goes up. Perhaps they have done such
a test.

--
To contact me take a davidhowdon and add a @yahoo.co.uk to the end.
Old January 31st 06, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Chris!" wrote in message
oups.com...

Or the "The next stop on this train" part on the northen line
announcmenents... Whats wrong with the German system "Next stop:
Charing Cross" - none of the fake pleasantries

At Leicester Square, the announcement used to say (and maybe still does)
"The next stop *with* this train is Tottenham Court Road". WTF?

Ian

Old February 1st 06, 01:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Nick Leverton wrote:

In article ,
Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Nick Leverton wrote:

In article ,
www.waspies.net wrote:

Maybe the announcements should start with a loud "OI YOU ****ERS"
quickly followed by a 30-second burst of klaxon, two minutes of
screaming babies mixed in with the sounds of a slaughter house,
followed by more profanity, and finally "stand behind the yellow line"
:-P

Sounds good to me, I'm back on the Met tomorrow night, listen out for
that one

I'm sure there's a band who've released that song already.

Yes, the Aphex Twin did a whole album like that.

Come to Daddy ?

That's an EP, rather than an album, but it fits the bill. Come to think of
it, almost all Aphex Twin records fit the bill ...

tom

--
Who would you help in a fight, Peter van der Linden or Bill Gates?