Old January 29th 06, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ladies & Gentlemen

Who on earth thought the new tube announcements starting,
"Ladies & Gentlemen," were a good idea ?

I get a sinking feeling everytime I hear them at Aldgate. They go off
about every 5 seconds, step on the announcements you want to hear, and
are so bloody pointless !

"Ladies & Gentlemen, this is a tube station, you can allegedly get a
tube home from here."

And more, constantly, only less useful :-)

--
Edward Cowling London UK

Old January 30th 06, 01:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling London UK" wrote in message
Who on earth thought the new tube announcements starting,
"Ladies & Gentlemen," were a good idea ?

I get a sinking feeling everytime I hear them at Aldgate. They go off
about every 5 seconds, step on the announcements you want to hear, and are
so bloody pointless !

"Ladies & Gentlemen, this is a tube station, you can allegedly get a tube
home from here."

And more, constantly, only less useful :-)

...............Huh????

--
Edward Cowling London UK

Hey Eddie, we have fun leaving you all perplexed on the platform
by not telling you which train will be first to depart, Circle? Met?....
It's the only giggle we have, and Aldgate is ideal for such antics.
What do you suggest I recommend to the Group Station manager
of the Aldgate group that announcements should start with?
"Good evening suckers"?

Old January 30th 06, 07:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
Who on earth thought the new tube announcements starting,
"Ladies & Gentlemen," were a good idea ?

I think it is a good idea. Putting some "unimportant" words at the
start of an announcement gives people chance to tune in without missing
the important content. If the announcement just launches straight in,
people miss things. A "bing bong" at the beginning does the same thing
(you don't say whether there is a chime or not in this case).

PhilD

Old January 30th 06, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30 Jan 2006 00:14:31 -0800, "PhilD" wrote:

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
Who on earth thought the new tube announcements starting,
"Ladies & Gentlemen," were a good idea ?

I think it is a good idea. Putting some "unimportant" words at the
start of an announcement gives people chance to tune in without missing
the important content.

The problem is that most of the announcements are useless. This means
that people will tend to ignore them completely.

Certainly every time I hear "this is a special announcement" or "this
is a safety announcement", I ignore it, because I know what it's goign
to say.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old January 30th 06, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:
On 30 Jan 2006 00:14:31 -0800, "PhilD" wrote:

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

Who on earth thought the new tube announcements starting,
"Ladies & Gentlemen," were a good idea ?

I think it is a good idea. Putting some "unimportant" words at the
start of an announcement gives people chance to tune in without missing
the important content.

The problem is that most of the announcements are useless. This means
that people will tend to ignore them completely.

Certainly every time I hear "this is a special announcement" or "this
is a safety announcement", I ignore it, because I know what it's goign
to say.

What about OI YOU LOT at the start of every message or LISTEN TO ME,
LISTEN TO ME then lots of flashing lights, the worst thing would be a
direct link into the drivers brain (G D & C) and what he's really
thinking about the great unwashed.

I'm off to put my flame proof underpants on

Old January 30th 06, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I think it is a good idea. Putting some "unimportant"
words at the start of an announcement gives people
chance to tune in without missing the important
content.

The problem is that most of the announcements are
useless. This means that people will tend to ignore
them completely.

Which announcements do you think are useless? Do
you have any examples?

Matt

Old January 30th 06, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote:

The problem is that most of the announcements are useless. This means
that people will tend to ignore them completely.

You want a worse one? At Stratford a lot of routine Underground
announcements (e.g. "No Smoking") have an annoying tendency to start playing
and cancelling out specific announcements about what stations a train
serves. With no destination indicators at the east end of the Ilford bound
platform, many people frequently board peak hour trains that don't stop at
their station, because the crucial announcement was cut out.

Old January 30th 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"www.waspies.net" wrote in message
James Farrar wrote:
[...]

Maybe the announcements should start with a loud "OI YOU ****ERS" quickly
followed by a 30-second burst of klaxon, two minutes of screaming babies
mixed in with the sounds of a slaughter house, followed by more profanity,
and finally "stand behind the yellow line" :-P

I'm off to put my flame proof underpants on

Old January 30th 06, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

What about OI YOU LOT at the start of every message or LISTEN TO ME,
LISTEN TO ME then lots of flashing lights, the worst thing would be a
direct link into the drivers brain (G D & C) and what he's really thinking
about the great unwashed.

Maybe the announcements should start with a loud "OI YOU ****ERS" quickly
followed by a 30-second burst of klaxon, two minutes of screaming babies
mixed in with the sounds of a slaughter house, followed by more profanity,
and finally "stand behind the yellow line" :-P

Sounds good to me, I'm back on the Met tomorrow night, listen out for
that one