London Banter

-   -   East London Line Extension (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3833-east-london-line-extension.html)

[email protected] February 1st 06 10:18 PM

East London Line Extension

Is it the intention that eventually there will no longer be LU
involvement with this line and instead Network Rail will take over
infrastructure responsibility for both the existing and the extended
bits with an "overground" train operator running the services? Will
there only be a link to one or other of New Cross/New Cross Gate? Will
the depot at New Cross be shut and the stock transfer connection
between the ELL and District Lines be removed? Will the existing
station at Shoreditch still be served?

--
gordon

Tim Roll-Pickering February 1st 06 11:38 PM

East London Line Extension

wrote:

Is it the intention that eventually there will no longer be LU
involvement with this line and instead Network Rail will take over
infrastructure responsibility for both the existing and the extended
bits with an "overground" train operator running the services?

My impression is that they seem to be going the reverse way, given the TfL
takeover of Silverlink services on the North London Line and its little
siblings. I suspect this could be the point where "London Underground"
becomes an increasingly anachronistic concept when considering the current
transport system.

Will
there only be a link to one or other of New Cross/New Cross Gate?

The maps I've seen preserve both. On the line map alone New Cross Gate is
the stronger of the two to survive because the southern extension is
basically a flyover onto the stopping services down to West Croydon/Crystal
Palce, though the desirability of interchange with services to Lewisham and
beyond should preserve New Cross as well.

Will
the depot at New Cross be shut

Pass.

and the stock transfer connection
between the ELL and District Lines be removed?

Not sure if they'd scrap it completely (it may be useful for other
purposes).

Will the existing
station at Shoreditch still be served?

No. It's in the wrong location for extending the line (as well as for being
much use for passengers), but the Shoreditch High Street station should
cover transport needs to there.

PhilD February 2nd 06 07:10 AM

East London Line Extension

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
wrote:
and the stock transfer connection
between the ELL and District Lines be removed?

Not sure if they'd scrap it completely (it may be useful for other
purposes).

A plan I've seen has no trace of the connecting curve. As stock will
be "main line", I would assume that there is absolutely no need to keep
that particular connection in place.

PhilD

Martin Smith February 2nd 06 01:34 PM

East London Line Extension

On 1 Feb 2006 15:18:55 -0800, wrote:
Is it the intention that eventually there will no longer be LU
involvement with this line and instead Network Rail will take over
infrastructure responsibility for both the existing and the extended
bits with an "overground" train operator running the services? Will
there only be a link to one or other of New Cross/New Cross Gate? Will
the depot at New Cross be shut and the stock transfer connection

On the original plan I saw some years ago the New Cross depot
was to be closed and a new one put in to the space where the ELL
diverges from the mail line at New Cross Gate, that site currently
houses a car pound, from the ELL you can see the decent looking ones
and from the main line you can see all the rubbish that has obviously
been dumped. However I am not sure what the current plans are, though
there has been some clearance work done quite recently on the west
side of the main line (at NXG) where the old stabling sidings are.

between the ELL and District Lines be removed? Will the existing
station at Shoreditch still be served?

Shoreditch is not on the agenda for the new line

--
gordon

--
Martin Smith

Paul Scott February 3rd 06 12:32 PM

East London Line Extension

wrote in message
oups.com...

Will the existing
station at Shoreditch still be served?

--
gordon

Shoreditch station closes for good in less than 6 months. Its been due to
close ever since the route to Dalston Junction was first developed, and the
ELL website has shown this route for about 3 years. A new station is to
beprovide at Shoreditch high street, north of Boshopsgate goodsyard.

Paul

Larry Lard February 3rd 06 03:14 PM

East London Line Extension

wrote:
Is it the intention that eventually there will no longer be LU
involvement with this line and instead Network Rail will take over
infrastructure responsibility for both the existing and the extended
bits with an "overground" train operator running the services?

I wondered similarly a while ago; the resulting thread you might find
useful.

http://tinyurl.com/9eagm

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

John Rowland February 7th 06 03:44 PM

East London Line Extension

wrote in message
oups.com...

Will the depot at New Cross be shut

I think so, but I'm not sure.

and the stock transfer connection
between the ELL and District Lines be removed?

Yes, I know that it will become a siding and disconnected at the other end.
I think it will be an ELL siding and disconnected from the District Line,
but I might have got that the wrong way around.

PhilD February 7th 06 06:31 PM

East London Line Extension

John Rowland wrote:
I think it will be an ELL siding and disconnected from the District Line,
but I might have got that the wrong way around.

The ELL signalling plan I've seen has no connection at the ELL end, so
I think it will be the other way round.

PhilD