Old March 1st 06, 08:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default oyster pre-pay top up question

In message , Roland
Perry writes
In message , at
12:51:23 on Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Richard J.
remarked:
Even better, with Auto Top-up it's done automatically by direct debit,
with an e-mailed confirmation, whenever the balance gets below £5

But don't you have to collect the "auto top-up" at a *nominated*
station?

Only the first time you do it; after that it's at whichever station
that's necessary.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old March 1st 06, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Graham J
writes
It also makes it particularly frustrating when a tube journey takes our
balance below £5 as the top-up only applies on touch-in, not touch-out.

I *thought* that mine had worked on both touch in and touch out at
different times, depending on the balance at the beginning and end of
the journey; was that not so?

Old March 2nd 06, 06:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:06:20 on Wed,
1 Mar 2006, Ian Jelf remarked:
But don't you have to collect the "auto top-up" at a *nominated*
station?

Only the first time you do it; after that it's at whichever station
that's necessary.

OK. Seems an odd deficiency in their system. I'll just have to be more
sure that I actually use my nominated station, next time I make a trip
to London. With my luck I'll nominate one that's having a "security
alert" and not letting anyone in :-(
Old March 2nd 06, 08:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

It also makes it particularly frustrating when a tube journey takes
our balance below £5 as the top-up only applies on touch-in, not
touch-out.

I *thought* that mine had worked on both touch in and touch out at
different times, depending on the balance at the beginning and end of
the journey; was that not so?

I can only go on my limited experience. On the two occasions my balance
has been above £5 on touching in but under £5 when touching out I
definitely have not had an auto top-up applied. It might be more
complicated than I think, of course :-)
Old March 2nd 06, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 09:34:23 GMT, Graham J
wrote:

It also makes it particularly frustrating when a tube journey takes
our balance below £5 as the top-up only applies on touch-in, not
touch-out.

I *thought* that mine had worked on both touch in and touch out at
different times, depending on the balance at the beginning and end of
the journey; was that not so?

I can only go on my limited experience. On the two occasions my balance
has been above £5 on touching in but under £5 when touching out I
definitely have not had an auto top-up applied. It might be more
complicated than I think, of course :-)

I went below £5 last Friday at Waterloo, and I don't think my bank
account has been debited yet, so it looks likes it's on touch-in.

Old March 18th 06, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 09:05:25 +0000 (UTC), "David Biddulph"
wrote:

"Richard J." wrote in message
. uk...

are done automatically at any tube station gates.

The main problem was that the ticket office staff weren't properly trained
on how Auto Top-up works.

Various Auto Top-Up FAQs at http://makeashorterlink.com/?B522229BC

Two errors in the FAQs are :

It does actually work at National Rail gatelines where Prepay is
valid. (I've had it work at City Thameslink & Limehouse.)

It claims that you can go into negative balance when using buses. This
seems not to work.