London Banter

-   -   "Deckers" (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3909-deckers.html)

Richard J. March 3rd 06 02:18 PM

"Deckers"

[Prompted by this from Neil Williams on the Bendy buses thread:
"To apply the question to London, then - yes, long-distance routes are
better with deckers."]

When and why did this use of "deckers" to mean double-deckers originate?
I had never heard or seen it until I read it on this NG a few years ago.
It's not in my dictionary either.

There are single-decker buses and double-decker buses. There would have
been some logic in using "doubles" for the latter, but to use the word
that is common to both terms to mean one of them is just silly.
--
Richard J.

M J Forbes March 3rd 06 03:11 PM

"Deckers"

"Richard J." wrote in message
k...
[Prompted by this from Neil Williams on the Bendy buses thread:
"To apply the question to London, then - yes, long-distance routes are
better with deckers."]

When and why did this use of "deckers" to mean double-deckers originate? I
had never heard or seen it until I read it on this NG a few years ago.
It's not in my dictionary either.

Common terminology used frequently by those in the industry, I'm led to
believe.

Neil Williams March 3rd 06 03:17 PM

"Deckers"

M J Forbes wrote:

Common terminology used frequently by those in the industry, I'm led to
believe.

Certainly the term used by a friend in the industry who as far as I am
aware does not know of the existence of this group.

Neil

Chris! March 4th 06 09:22 AM

"Deckers"

Richard J. wrote:

[Prompted by this from Neil Williams on the Bendy buses thread:
"To apply the question to London, then - yes, long-distance routes are
better with deckers."]

When and why did this use of "deckers" to mean double-deckers originate?
I had never heard or seen it until I read it on this NG a few years ago.
It's not in my dictionary either.

My school bus driver used to use the term back in the mid nineties (not
in London, mind)