Old March 3rd 06, 02:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "Deckers"

[Prompted by this from Neil Williams on the Bendy buses thread:
"To apply the question to London, then - yes, long-distance routes are
better with deckers."]

When and why did this use of "deckers" to mean double-deckers originate?
I had never heard or seen it until I read it on this NG a few years ago.
It's not in my dictionary either.

There are single-decker buses and double-decker buses. There would have
been some logic in using "doubles" for the latter, but to use the word
that is common to both terms to mean one of them is just silly.
--
Richard J.

Old March 3rd 06, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
k...
[Prompted by this from Neil Williams on the Bendy buses thread:
"To apply the question to London, then - yes, long-distance routes are
better with deckers."]

When and why did this use of "deckers" to mean double-deckers originate? I
had never heard or seen it until I read it on this NG a few years ago.
It's not in my dictionary either.

Common terminology used frequently by those in the industry, I'm led to
believe.

Old March 3rd 06, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

M J Forbes wrote:

Common terminology used frequently by those in the industry, I'm led to
believe.

Certainly the term used by a friend in the industry who as far as I am
aware does not know of the existence of this group.

Neil

Old March 4th 06, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

[Prompted by this from Neil Williams on the Bendy buses thread:
"To apply the question to London, then - yes, long-distance routes are
better with deckers."]

When and why did this use of "deckers" to mean double-deckers originate?
I had never heard or seen it until I read it on this NG a few years ago.
It's not in my dictionary either.

My school bus driver used to use the term back in the mid nineties (not
in London, mind)