London Banter

-   -   RIP Wagn (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4053-rip-wagn.html)

Edward Cowling London UK April 8th 06 10:56 AM

RIP Wagn

I hadn't realised WAGN (Wait Allday Get Nowhere) was being taken over
by First Capital Connect on the 1st April. My first reaction is that it
explains the hobbyist running of Wagn of the past few months.

Lets hope the new lot finally fix the broken doors on some units that to
my knowledge have been out of action since Moses was a lad :-)

Seriously, the service can only get better, so good luck to them.

--
Edward Cowling London UK

Jonathan Morris April 8th 06 12:49 PM

RIP Wagn

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
I hadn't realised WAGN (Wait Allday Get Nowhere) was being taken over
by First Capital Connect on the 1st April. My first reaction is that it
explains the hobbyist running of Wagn of the past few months.

Management might have been taking less interest in the line, but bear
in mind that it's mostly the same staff on the ground so there wasn't
much of an incentive to let things go completely, only to have to work
twice as hard from the changeover! I think most Wagn staff were VERY
happy about the new management too.

The Wait Allday Get Nowhere bit is funny, but by and large they've done
a good job and the services are pretty reliable. FCC has inherited a
pretty good route in my opinion.

Lets hope the new lot finally fix the broken doors on some units that to
my knowledge have been out of action since Moses was a lad :-)

I know problems on the 313's into Moorgate have increased, but the
other stock seems reliable. The only time I've had a door fail on a 317
was when someone held it open to let a mate on. The driver did comment
at the time, and at the next stop he couldn't close the doors properly
- leading to a delay. The 365's now seem to say 'stand clear of the
doors' frequently, whereas they said nothing before. Part of this might
be due to the death of a man at Huntingdon after getting his coat
caught up, saying goodbye to his girlfriend.

Jonathan

Colin Rosenstiel April 8th 06 01:05 PM

RIP Wagn

In article ,
(Edward Cowling London UK) wrote:

I hadn't realised WAGN (Wait Allday Get Nowhere) was being taken
over by First Capital Connect on the 1st April. My first reaction is
that it explains the hobbyist running of Wagn of the past few months.

Timekeeping on Cambridge trains dipped slightly this week from an
excellent final WAGN record IME.

Lets hope the new lot finally fix the broken doors on some units that
to my knowledge have been out of action since Moses was a lad :-)

On which units? Hornsey had a very good record in the industry under WAGN.

Seriously, the service can only get better, so good luck to them.

You may be lucky there.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul Corfield April 8th 06 04:40 PM

RIP Wagn

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 14:05 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Edward Cowling London UK) wrote:

I hadn't realised WAGN (Wait Allday Get Nowhere) was being taken
over by First Capital Connect on the 1st April. My first reaction is
that it explains the hobbyist running of Wagn of the past few months.

Timekeeping on Cambridge trains dipped slightly this week from an
excellent final WAGN record IME.

I happened to check the performance figures recently and they looked
pretty decent given that the main line route is not that easy to run
well given the risks of delays caused by GNER, Hull Trains and Freight
operations never mind Network Rail.

Lets hope the new lot finally fix the broken doors on some units that
to my knowledge have been out of action since Moses was a lad :-)

On which units? Hornsey had a very good record in the industry under WAGN.

Exactly - WAGN may not have been very "sexy" as an operation but it did
seem to have rolling stock stuff pretty well sorted out. Hornsey always
came out well in the Roger Ford "golden spanner" awards in Modern
Railways.

I'm afraid I am somewhat dubious about what First will actually be able
to deliver by way of improvements. There are too many issues on the
Thameslink part of the franchise which they have to deal with that I can
see the WAGN part becoming neglected. The issues around Kings Cross and
how they will ever deal with Thameslink 2000 (hah!) threaten to divert
attention.

I'll confess that I don't particularly like the way First run their
businesses as they seem to adopt the "sweat the assets until they break"
philosophy all too readily and then disguise this as "transforming
travel" or whatever their slogan is. I'd love to be proved wrong
though.

--
Paul C

Colin Rosenstiel April 9th 06 12:43 AM

RIP Wagn

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

[...]

Their flying start is to scrap the refreshment trolleys on the Cruisers.
Cost-free to the TOC they were, too. Hardly in line with their policy of
encouraging off-peak travel.

At first we thought they were scrapping the lat night security guards
too but it now appears they have been taken "in-house".

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Jonathan Morris April 9th 06 08:47 PM

RIP Wagn

Their flying start is to scrap the refreshment trolleys on the Cruisers.
Cost-free to the TOC they were, too. Hardly in line with their policy of
encouraging off-peak travel.

Seems a bit silly and illogical.

At first we thought they were scrapping the lat night security guards
too but it now appears they have been taken "in-house".

Seems like a good idea. The ones hired to 'patrol' the stations between
Potters Bar and Stevenage are a joke, and either know the chavs that
are causing trouble (and start talking to them about whether there's
going to be a ticket check or not), or simply aren't willing to do
anything more than hope their hi-vi vests will deter any troublemakers
as they sit down and chat on their mobiles. They had all but
disappeared in the last few months anyway.

Jonathan

Paul Oter April 9th 06 08:53 PM

RIP Wagn

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

Their [FCC's] flying start is to scrap the refreshment trolleys on the Cruisers.
Cost-free to the TOC they were, too. Hardly in line with their policy of
encouraging off-peak travel.

They also seem to have scrapped the phrase "Cambridge Cruiser" in
favour of the phrase "Cambridge Express", according to the new pocket
timetable. Sensibly the description doesn't seem to be restricted to
the non-stop services but to all the fast trains that Cambridge people
would want to use.

PaulO

Colin Rosenstiel April 10th 06 12:11 AM

RIP Wagn

In article .com,
(Paul Oter) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

Their [FCC's] flying start is to scrap the refreshment trolleys on
the Cruisers. Cost-free to the TOC they were, too. Hardly in line
with their policy of encouraging off-peak travel.

They also seem to have scrapped the phrase "Cambridge Cruiser" in
favour of the phrase "Cambridge Express", according to the new pocket
timetable. Sensibly the description doesn't seem to be restricted to
the non-stop services but to all the fast trains that Cambridge people
would want to use.

Only if you go by the title of the pocket timetable leaflet. I don't
think the WAGN predecessor used the Cruiser name either. I have to say
WAGN seem not to have used the Cruiser branding much recently anyway.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

R.C. Payne April 10th 06 10:55 AM

RIP Wagn

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article .com,
(Paul Oter) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

Their [FCC's] flying start is to scrap the refreshment trolleys on
the Cruisers. Cost-free to the TOC they were, too. Hardly in line
with their policy of encouraging off-peak travel.

They also seem to have scrapped the phrase "Cambridge Cruiser" in
favour of the phrase "Cambridge Express", according to the new pocket
timetable. Sensibly the description doesn't seem to be restricted to
the non-stop services but to all the fast trains that Cambridge people
would want to use.

Only if you go by the title of the pocket timetable leaflet. I don't
think the WAGN predecessor used the Cruiser name either. I have to say
WAGN seem not to have used the Cruiser branding much recently anyway.

The departure boards at Kings Cross used the term. I've not been up to
London (down from Cambridge) since FCC took over.

Robin

Colin Rosenstiel April 10th 06 12:12 PM

RIP Wagn

In article , (R.C.
Payne) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article .com,
(Paul Oter) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

Their [FCC's] flying start is to scrap the refreshment trolleys on
the Cruisers. Cost-free to the TOC they were, too. Hardly in line
with their policy of encouraging off-peak travel.
They also seem to have scrapped the phrase "Cambridge Cruiser" in
favour of the phrase "Cambridge Express", according to the new
pocket timetable. Sensibly the description doesn't seem to be
restricted to the non-stop services but to all the fast trains that
Cambridge people would want to use.

Only if you go by the title of the pocket timetable leaflet. I
don't think the WAGN predecessor used the Cruiser name either. I
have to say WAGN seem not to have used the Cruiser branding much
recently anyway.

The departure boards at Kings Cross used the term. I've not been up
to London (down from Cambridge) since FCC took over.

Sometimes only, IIRC. Not used a down Cruiser since 1st April and my
intention to do so this afternoon is fast receding.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul Oter April 10th 06 12:51 PM

RIP Wagn

R.C. Payne wrote:
Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article .com,
(Paul Oter) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

Their [FCC's] flying start is to scrap the refreshment trolleys on
the Cruisers. Cost-free to the TOC they were, too. Hardly in line
with their policy of encouraging off-peak travel.
They also seem to have scrapped the phrase "Cambridge Cruiser" in
favour of the phrase "Cambridge Express", according to the new pocket
timetable. Sensibly the description doesn't seem to be restricted to
the non-stop services but to all the fast trains that Cambridge people
would want to use.

Only if you go by the title of the pocket timetable leaflet. I don't
think the WAGN predecessor used the Cruiser name either. I have to say
WAGN seem not to have used the Cruiser branding much recently anyway.

The departure boards at Kings Cross used the term. I've not been up to
London (down from Cambridge) since FCC took over.

Indeed I saw the term Cambridge Cruiser on the departure board at KX
this morning.

PaulO

Colin Rosenstiel April 10th 06 07:44 PM

RIP Wagn

In article . com,
(Paul Oter) wrote:

R.C. Payne wrote:
Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article
.com,
(Paul Oter) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

[...]

And I saw "FirstCapitalConnect" on them this evening. It only just fits,
hard up against "On Time" with no space.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Philip K April 10th 06 08:02 PM

RIP Wagn

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 11:56:47 +0100, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:

I hadn't realised WAGN (Wait Allday Get Nowhere)

Thought it was We Are Going Nowhere, as per
http://www.geocities.com/selefarm/

--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]

Dave Plumb April 10th 06 08:40 PM

RIP Wagn

Their [FCC's] flying start is to scrap the refreshment trolleys
on the Cruisers. Cost-free to the TOC they were, too. Hardly in

So far not much difference. http://www.jcheck.com/fcc is less useful
than it was as it carries info for both the WGC/HFN and Thameslink
services so is cluttered and doesn't help travellers on either line in
this way. They're aggressively gripping the regulars most mornings on
train and at KX with close and thorough inspections (but yer seasoned
avoider is still just train walking and changing at finsbury park or
highbury or claiming "the train woz just pullin in").

Yep, about the same really. They've already wasted a fortune changing
the train livery, stationary, timetables and converting the staff into
postman-pat look-alikes. I'd rather see "WAGN" on my timetable until
June and perhaps have something else improved. What a waste.

What a shame on the day they launched there were no trains via WGC and
on until June at weekends. Start as you mean to go on eh ;)

Edward Cowling London UK April 10th 06 09:10 PM

RIP Wagn

In message , Philip K
writes
wrote:

I hadn't realised WAGN (Wait Allday Get Nowhere)

Thought it was We Are Going Nowhere, as per
http://www.geocities.com/selefarm/

I refer my esteemed colleague to Wikipedia, which has both of these
definitions as acceptable :-)

--
Edward Cowling London UK

Jonathan Morris April 10th 06 10:29 PM

RIP Wagn

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
I refer my esteemed colleague to Wikipedia, which has both of these
definitions as acceptable :-)

As I haven't seen it anywhere yet, can I claim credit for;

We Are Gone Now

?

Jonathan

Colin Rosenstiel April 11th 06 12:52 AM

RIP Wagn

In article 007c01c65cdf$0f2911d0$6400a8c0@DAVE, (Dave
Plumb) wrote:

Their [FCC's] flying start is to scrap the refreshment trolleys
on the Cruisers. Cost-free to the TOC they were, too. Hardly in

So far not much difference.
http://www.jcheck.com/fcc is less useful
than it was as it carries info for both the WGC/HFN and Thameslink
services so is cluttered and doesn't help travellers on either line in
this way. They're aggressively gripping the regulars most mornings on
train and at KX with close and thorough inspections (but yer seasoned
avoider is still just train walking and changing at finsbury park or
highbury or claiming "the train woz just pullin in").

ROFL! That must have lasted all of two days. Back to the usual WAGN
pattern for me. Today, two grippers on my bit of the 10:15 Cambridge-KX,
both ex-WAGN with new uniforms. Nobody on the 19:15 off the Cross
tonight, as usual.

Yep, about the same really. They've already wasted a fortune changing
the train livery, stationary, timetables and converting the staff into
postman-pat look-alikes. I'd rather see "WAGN" on my timetable until
June and perhaps have something else improved. What a waste.

The pocket timetables needed re-issuing. The weekend services on the
last edition ran out before the 1 April - 10 June blockades.

What a shame on the day they launched there were no trains via WGC and
on until June at weekends. Start as you mean to go on eh ;)

That bit is *not* FCC's fault. Typical Network rail, buggering up both
routes between Cambridge and London at weekends at the same time for the
second year running! :-((

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Dave Plumb April 11th 06 08:35 AM

RIP Wagn

ROFL! That must have lasted all of two days. Back to the usual WAGN
pattern for me. Today, two grippers on my bit of the 10:15

Cambridge-KX,

Ahh, I changed at FPK the rest of the week as they were harassing Oyster
holders since they didn't all have a reader and demanded to know where
you got on etc (which is reasonable but doesn't deal with the persistent
fare evader they're all too scared to tackle).

The pocket timetables needed re-issuing. The weekend services on the
last edition ran out before the 1 April - 10 June blockades.

A smaller insert for the weekends would have done, not discard the WAGN
ones and reprint. I'm sure WAGN wouldn't have wasted the money in this
way for just a couple of months of timetable. If the timetable lasted
until December, fair enough, but to re-issue them for a couple of months
was a waste.

What a shame on the day they launched there were no trains via WGC

and
That bit is *not* FCC's fault. Typical Network rail, buggering up both

Not arranging for ticket acceptance on their other line at St. Albans
and Elstree stations is, even as a courtesy in addition to the 'bus'.
Even if you just do it for gold card holders. I don't use the railway
much at the weekends but this is quite a chunk out of the ticket that's
a bus service instead of a train. If I wanted to do it that way I'd have
bought a 4 zone travelcard and done it by bus to Arnos Grove!

My 15 minute journey is an hour by bus. FCC won't be charged track
access charges nor pay drivers for Sunday working. NR most likely pick
up the tab for the replacement buses, while FCC continue to sell rail
priced tickets and benefit from what they've charged me for the weekends
which is a useless service!

Jonathan Morris April 11th 06 12:20 PM

RIP Wagn

Dave Plumb wrote:
Ahh, I changed at FPK the rest of the week as they were harassing Oyster
holders since they didn't all have a reader and demanded to know where
you got on etc (which is reasonable but doesn't deal with the persistent
fare evader they're all too scared to tackle).

Last week, the front line grippers at KGX checked tickets, with people
standing behind using wands to scan Oyster card users. I simply waved
my Gold record card and quickly realised that waving /anything/ in a
plastic pocket would have sufficed.

Not arranging for ticket acceptance on their other line at St. Albans
and Elstree stations is, even as a courtesy in addition to the 'bus'.
Even if you just do it for gold card holders.

Don't I know it. I hoped FCC would have seen sense, but as soon as they
started quoting their requirements, it became clear we weren't going to
get any 'goodwill gesture' from them. It costs First absolutely nothing
(and, if anything would save them money) to do this, so I am rather
disappointed.

Jonathan

Colin Rosenstiel April 11th 06 01:37 PM

RIP Wagn

In article 008f01c65d42$e25a9610$6400a8c0@DAVE, (Dave
Plumb) wrote:

The pocket timetables needed re-issuing. The weekend services on the
last edition ran out before the 1 April - 10 June blockades.

A smaller insert for the weekends would have done, not discard the
WAGN ones and reprint. I'm sure WAGN wouldn't have wasted the money in
this way for just a couple of months of timetable. If the timetable
lasted until December, fair enough, but to re-issue them for a couple
of months was a waste.

I don't think we're talking of the same publications. The pocket
timetable I'm referring to is a single small piece of paper.

[...]

Ah! Not a Cambridge issue then. Did you complain to FCC about the lack
of validity? The planning for the blockade was presumably done by WAGN.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Dave Plumb April 11th 06 01:45 PM

RIP Wagn

... waved my Gold record card and quickly realised that waving
/anything/
A woman in front of me flashed her oyster and the back line guy with the
reader wasn't quick enough, one of the front line guys said "after her"
and the bemused gripper with tool in hand was chasing across the
concourse shouting "excuse me" to anyone who'd listen as he only then
realised he didn't know what she looked like ;) Meanwhile I went through
and flashed the oyster while they were too busy trying to work out who
they'd missed. Keystone cops at its best and for free too ;)

Not arranging for ticket acceptance on their other line at St. Albans

It costs First absolutely nothing (and, if anything would save them

money) to do this, so I am rather disappointed.
Whilst that's true ... it would cost them the fare they'd otherwise make
so it's not in their business interests, especially now they've paid out
for all those second hand postie uniforms.

It would have to be a goodwill gesture and a shame so fresh into their
franchise one they aren't prepared to make. But it's no more or less
than I'd expect from WAGN so it's business as usual, albeit with this
"new way forward" crap everywhere.

Jonathan Morris April 11th 06 10:45 PM

RIP Wagn

Dave Plumb wrote:
Whilst that's true ... it would cost them the fare they'd otherwise make

I don't know how they'll combine the fare structure in the long run,
but if you've got a ticket from Hatfield then it makes no difference if
you take the bus, or go to St Albans and take the train. Or, it
shouldn't.

If they say tickets are valid on the Thameslink branch (During the
shutdown only, I'm not talking about using St Albans as and when you
please), it's only going to be existing ticket holders that will take
advantage of this offer. Anyone else will either buy a ticket and use
the bus, or go to St Albans and buy a ticket there (you wouldn't buy a
ticket at Hatfield/Potters Bar on the day THEN go to another station).

So, passing tickets wouldn't make much difference - other than to
create goodwill amongst season ticket holders, whether that be a 7 day,
30 day or annual ticket.

Bear in mind that the only time I've travelled on a weekend, I simply
told the guard at St Albans that there were no trains from Hatfield and
he let me through. I didn't actually lie did I?! It's possible you can
talk your way through, but it's potentially risky if you meet another
gripper between St Albans and the boundary (travelcard season ticket
holders). I came back in a car, so didn't have to try and get out of St
Albans using the same trick.

Jonathan

Dave Plumb April 11th 06 11:47 PM

RIP Wagn

but if you've got a ticket from Hatfield then it makes no difference
if you take the bus, or go to St Albans and take the train. Or, it

shouldn't.
I agree, it's disgusting they think so little of their passengers
they're not prepared to take the loss on the alternative route (which is
£3 CDR/GOLD St.Albans to Elstree). But they have shareholders and
whatever rules they play say buses are good enough. They have a captive
market and are happy to play upon that captivity to make a few quid more
:(

Same with annual tickets not being bearer tikcets. I drove to work early
one sat with the girlfriend joining me later by train, both coming back
by car. She had to buy a full price t/card, even though there was no
possibility of me using my annual. I know there could be cases where a
couple on shifts could use one ticket but they must be very rare, and it
would be a good feature if seasons became bearer, but not for the TOC,
who would lose revenue (albeit minimal).

valid on the Thameslink branch (During the shutdown only

I seem to recall during the weekday blockade works on Thameslink that
WAGN were accepting tickets. But I guess this was now different
companies and during the week so it'd be hard to use it as a precedent.

So, passing tickets wouldn't make much difference

I'd like to see it, but I can't see it happening :( So much for the
"from this day forward" (I read what it said on the posters correctly
this time!)

Jonathan Morris April 13th 06 10:07 AM

RIP Wagn

Dave Plumb wrote:
I'd like to see it, but I can't see it happening :( So much for the
"from this day forward" (I read what it said on the posters correctly
this time!)

It looks like WAGN is making a comeback anyway. (Taken Thursday 13th
April 2006)

http://www.whatmobile.net/tmp/fcc/wagnliveson.jpg

(Notice too that it's just CAPITAL CONNECT on the right hand display).

Jonathan

Colin Rosenstiel April 14th 06 12:16 AM

RIP Wagn

In article .com,
(Jonathan Morris) wrote:

Dave Plumb wrote:
I'd like to see it, but I can't see it happening :( So much for the
"from this day forward" (I read what it said on the posters
correctly this time!)

It looks like WAGN is making a comeback anyway. (Taken Thursday 13th
April 2006)

http://www.whatmobile.net/tmp/fcc/wagnliveson.jpg

(Notice too that it's just CAPITAL CONNECT on the right hand display).

chuckle It also shows how "FirstCapitalConnect" only just fits by
leaving out all the spaces. How soon before Network Rail switch to "FCC"
I wonder?

My spilling chukka suggests "Fantastical" for "FirstCapitalConnect".
Very good!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

John Rowland April 15th 06 10:21 AM

RIP Wagn

"Jonathan Morris" wrote in message
oups.com...

We Are Gone Now

LOL.

Paul Oter April 19th 06 08:33 PM

RIP Wagn

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article .com,
(Jonathan Morris) wrote:

Dave Plumb wrote:

http://www.whatmobile.net/tmp/fcc/wagnliveson.jpg

(Notice too that it's just CAPITAL CONNECT on the right hand display).

chuckle It also shows how "FirstCapitalConnect" only just fits by
leaving out all the spaces. How soon before Network Rail switch to "FCC"
I wonder?

At KX this evening both the main and smaller departure boards were
showing the TOC as "First Cap Connect"

PaulO

Colin Rosenstiel April 19th 06 11:35 PM

RIP Wagn

In article .com,
(Paul Oter) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article .com,
(Jonathan Morris) wrote:

Dave Plumb wrote:

http://www.whatmobile.net/tmp/fcc/wagnliveson.jpg

(Notice too that it's just CAPITAL CONNECT on the right hand
display).

chuckle It also shows how "FirstCapitalConnect" only just fits by
leaving out all the spaces. How soon before Network Rail switch to
"FCC" I wonder?

At KX this evening both the main and smaller departure boards were
showing the TOC as "First Cap Connect"

Hmm. Missed that. I was too busy trying to figure which platform the
19:15 was going to depart from. It was definitely FirstCapitalConnect
yesterday.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul Oter April 20th 06 10:13 AM

RIP Wagn

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article .com,
(Paul Oter) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article .com,
(Jonathan Morris) wrote:

Dave Plumb wrote:

http://www.whatmobile.net/tmp/fcc/wagnliveson.jpg

(Notice too that it's just CAPITAL CONNECT on the right hand
display).

chuckle It also shows how "FirstCapitalConnect" only just fits by
leaving out all the spaces. How soon before Network Rail switch to
"FCC" I wonder?

At KX this evening both the main and smaller departure boards were
showing the TOC as "First Cap Connect"

Hmm. Missed that. I was too busy trying to figure which platform the
19:15 was going to depart from. It was definitely FirstCapitalConnect
yesterday.

Strange - I was on the 1915 too. I was referring to the displays that
give a list of departures: the big one in the main concourse and the
smaller ones such as the one facing the York Road entrance. These were
all using the wording First Cap Connect at about 1905 last night.
(Though I wonder whether the TOC itself approved the abbreviation).

The displays on the platforms which only show a single departure were
showing First Capital Connect.

We may well see further variations in the future as staff learn how to
cope with this ridiculously long name.

PaulO

Paul Oter April 20th 06 11:59 AM

RIP Wagn

[First Cap Connect on departure boards at King's Cross]

See also the thread "First Cap Connect" over on uk.railway, which
includes links to some photos.

PaulO

Colin Rosenstiel April 20th 06 01:18 PM

RIP Wagn

In article .com,
(Paul Oter) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article .com,
(Paul Oter) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article
.com,
(Jonathan Morris) wrote:

Dave Plumb wrote:

[...]

Sorry. I meant the day before. I didn't notice the signs yesterday. I
was too preoccupied with getting myself on the train which wasn't on its
usual platform.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Mark Brader April 20th 06 07:55 PM

RIP Wagn

Paul Oter:
The displays on the platforms which only show a single departure were
showing First Capital Connect.

We may well see further variations in the future as staff learn how to
cope with this ridiculously long name.

Um, well, it is a shorter name than "West Anglia Great Northern". Let
alone "Great Northern, Piccadilly & Brompton", to take just one old-time
name that comes to mind.
--
Mark Brader "Succeed, and you'll be remembered for a very long time.
Toronto Fail, and you'll be remembered even longer."

Paul Oter April 20th 06 08:26 PM

RIP Wagn

Mark Brader wrote:
Paul Oter:
The displays on the platforms which only show a single departure were
showing First Capital Connect.

We may well see further variations in the future as staff learn how to
cope with this ridiculously long name.

Um, well, it is a shorter name than "West Anglia Great Northern".

Yes, but WAGN almost always shortened their own name to WAGN (or
sometimes wagn) in timetables and on the sides of trains. FCC seem not
to want to abbreviate their name to FCC.

PaulO

Brian Watson April 21st 06 05:55 AM

RIP Wagn

"Paul Oter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mark Brader wrote:
Paul Oter:
The displays on the platforms which only show a single departure were
showing First Capital Connect.

We may well see further variations in the future as staff learn how to
cope with this ridiculously long name.

Um, well, it is a shorter name than "West Anglia Great Northern".

Yes, but WAGN almost always shortened their own name to WAGN (or
sometimes wagn) in timetables and on the sides of trains. FCC seem not
to want to abbreviate their name to FCC.

Or "ICC" to rhyme with "ICK".

:-)
--
Brian

Colin Rosenstiel April 21st 06 08:23 PM

RIP Wagn

In article .com,
(Paul Oter) wrote:

I was referring to the displays that
give a list of departures: the big one in the main concourse and the
smaller ones such as the one facing the York Road entrance. These were
all using the wording First Cap Connect at about 1905 last night.
(Though I wonder whether the TOC itself approved the abbreviation).

The displays on the platforms which only show a single departure were
showing First Capital Connect.

I noticed that both the main departure displays and those at the
platform ends were showing First Cap Connect when I got the 19:45 tonight.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Ian Patterson April 21st 06 09:19 PM

RIP Wagn

Mark Brader wrote:
Paul Oter:
The displays on the platforms which only show a single departure were
showing First Capital Connect.

We may well see further variations in the future as staff learn how to
cope with this ridiculously long name.

Um, well, it is a shorter name than "West Anglia Great Northern". Let
alone "Great Northern, Piccadilly & Brompton", to take just one old-time
name that comes to mind.

Or Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead.
Even OT:- Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Dukinfield Tramways and
Electricity Board (hey, they use rails too;-) ).
Ob. railways Also the Easton Neston(forgot the rest), part of the S&MJ.

Paul Oter April 22nd 06 06:58 AM

RIP Wagn

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article .com,
(Paul Oter) wrote:

I was referring to the displays that
give a list of departures: the big one in the main concourse and the
smaller ones such as the one facing the York Road entrance. These were
all using the wording First Cap Connect at about 1905 last night.
(Though I wonder whether the TOC itself approved the abbreviation).

The displays on the platforms which only show a single departure were
showing First Capital Connect.

I noticed that both the main departure displays and those at the
platform ends were showing First Cap Connect when I got the 19:45 tonight.

The arrivals board (to the right of the main departure board) also
shows First Cap Connect. Though this is still too long for the display
and collides with the text to its left.

PaulO

James Farrar April 22nd 06 07:08 AM

RIP Wagn

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:55:44 -0000, (Mark Brader) wrote:

Paul Oter:
The displays on the platforms which only show a single departure were
showing First Capital Connect.

We may well see further variations in the future as staff learn how to
cope with this ridiculously long name.

Um, well, it is a shorter name than "West Anglia Great Northern".

Which was very rarely said, and even less commonly written.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com

Colin Rosenstiel April 22nd 06 12:34 PM

RIP Wagn

In article ,
(James Farrar) wrote:

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:55:44 -0000,
(Mark Brader) wrote:

Paul Oter:
The displays on the platforms which only show a single departure
were showing First Capital Connect.

We may well see further variations in the future as staff learn
how to cope with this ridiculously long name.

Um, well, it is a shorter name than "West Anglia Great Northern".

Which was very rarely said, and even less commonly written.

If they didn't insist on adding "First" to all their company names (as
they don't with Hull Trains) they'd not have the problem.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin Rosenstiel April 22nd 06 12:34 PM

RIP Wagn

In article .com,
(Paul Oter) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article .com,
(Paul Oter) wrote:

I was referring to the displays that
give a list of departures: the big one in the main concourse and
the smaller ones such as the one facing the York Road entrance.
These were all using the wording First Cap Connect at about 1905
last night. (Though I wonder whether the TOC itself approved the
abbreviation).

The displays on the platforms which only show a single departure
were showing First Capital Connect.

I noticed that both the main departure displays and those at the
platform ends were showing First Cap Connect when I got the 19:45
tonight.

The arrivals board (to the right of the main departure board) also
shows First Cap Connect. Though this is still too long for the display
and collides with the text to its left.

I'd forgive FCC a lot if they could produce timetable information for
tomorrow. No trains Cambridge-London by either route. The *only*
timetable information (apart from individual trains via NRE) I can find
is a poster on the platform at Cambridge station. No leaflets, nothing
on the FCC web site beyond:

"Hitchin to Cambridge
WHERE Hitchin (HIT) to Cambridge (CBG)
WHEN 23 April 2006
DETAILS All day buses replace trains."

My brother is passing through London arriving late tonight and off early
Monday morning. I'm going to have to drive.

Oh, and Sunday is the London Marathon too. But that idiocy is Network
Rail's. :-(

--
Colin Rosenstiel