Old April 14th 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Parking query

We've had a council letter saying that some residents' parking bays will
be suspended during utility work, but it mentions that we can park
either in other bays or on single yellow lines. Can one park on single
yellows with a resident's permit anyway?

E.

Old April 14th 06, 06:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote:
We've had a council letter saying that some residents' parking bays
will be suspended during utility work, but it mentions that we can
park either in other bays or on single yellow lines. Can one park
on single yellows with a resident's permit anyway?

No, the resident's permit makes no difference to the rules about parking
on yellow lines.
--
Richard J.

Old April 14th 06, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
"Richard J." wrote:

eastender wrote:
We've had a council letter saying that some residents' parking bays
will be suspended during utility work, but it mentions that we can
park either in other bays or on single yellow lines. Can one park
on single yellows with a resident's permit anyway?

No, the resident's permit makes no difference to the rules about parking
on yellow lines.

Hmmm. So Hackney council is setting us up or some fines, it seems,
presumably through ignorance.

E.
Old April 14th 06, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote:
In article ,
"Richard J." wrote:

eastender wrote:
We've had a council letter saying that some residents' parking
bays will be suspended during utility work, but it mentions that
we can park either in other bays or on single yellow lines. Can
one park
on single yellows with a resident's permit anyway?

No, the resident's permit makes no difference to the rules about
parking on yellow lines.

Hmmm. So Hackney council is setting us up or some fines, it seems,
presumably through ignorance.

I think they are saying that on this occasion they will turn a blind eye
to any parking by local residents on yellow lines in the area affected.
Provided you avoid parking right on a road junction, you should be OK.
I'm sure that any ticket would be cancelled on appeal if you produce the
written evidence of the council's advice.
--
Richard J.

Old April 14th 06, 11:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I'd be wary of any "dispensation" given by any local authority, since
what one letter says does not mean that the parking wardens will know
about it!

Recently, outside the resident's bay outside my house (in Fulham) had
been suspended for 2 days whilst a utility company dug a hole. As soon
as they finished the work (at the end of the first day), I asked
whether they had finished and they said they had, and they left in
their lorry. I moved my car back, only to have a parking warden
threaten to ticket my car there and then if I did not move my car out
of the vacated space I had just parked in! Then, the Council then
refused to lift the suspension for the SECOND day, when clearly the
work had finished on the first day!

No doubt in a fit of petulance, the same warden issued a ticket to my
car the next day, despite it being NOT within the suspended bay, and he
LIED on the ticket about the car's location, got the date wrong and
failed to sign it. Although I paid the penalty (as a tactical
exercise), accompanying it with the foregoing commentary: my cheque was
returned with a letter of apology.