London Banter

-   -   Ticketless Buses Zone 1? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/409-ticketless-buses-zone-1-a.html)

Mait001 July 27th 03 06:44 PM

Ticketless Buses Zone 1?

Does this mean, for example, someone getting on a Routemaster, which has a
conductor, will be unable to buy the ticket from the counductor when in the
"ticketless" zone, but can buy one from him when the same bus is outside that
zone?

If so, is it actually going to be the case that a passenger trying to buy a
ticket from the conductor in that zone will be put off the bus, or told "wait
till we are out of the zone and I'll sell you a ticket then", or will
commonsense prevail and he will sell you a ticket as usual?

Marc.

Dave July 27th 03 07:26 PM

Ticketless Buses Zone 1?

Mait001 writes
Does this mean, for example, someone getting on a Routemaster, which has a
conductor, will be unable to buy the ticket from the counductor when in the
"ticketless" zone, but can buy one from him when the same bus is outside that
zone?

If so, is it actually going to be the case that a passenger trying to buy a
ticket from the conductor in that zone will be put off the bus, or told "wait
till we are out of the zone and I'll sell you a ticket then", or will
commonsense prevail and he will sell you a ticket as usual?

As the purpose of the scheme is to reduce boarding times and as it
applies at specific bus stops served by specific routes (not *all* bus
stops on *all* routes) - then what 'common-sense' indicates to me is
that they're probably not including crew-operated routes in the scheme.

--
Dave

Robert Woolley July 27th 03 09:09 PM

Ticketless Buses Zone 1?

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:40:25 +0100, Roy Stilling
wrote:

Dave wrote:

As the purpose of the scheme is to reduce boarding times and as it
applies at specific bus stops served by specific routes (not *all* bus
stops on *all* routes) - then what 'common-sense' indicates to me is
that they're probably not including crew-operated routes in the scheme.

But they're installing ticket machines at stops on Piccadilly that are
only served by crew-operated routes.

Roy

24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

Dave July 27th 03 09:40 PM

Ticketless Buses Zone 1?

Roy Stilling writes
As the purpose of the scheme is to reduce boarding times and as it
applies at specific bus stops served by specific routes (not *all* bus
stops on *all* routes) - then what 'common-sense' indicates to me is
that they're probably not including crew-operated routes in the scheme.

But they're installing ticket machines at stops on Piccadilly that are
only served by crew-operated routes.

Do remember though, that no routes are crew-operated 24/7.

--
Dave

Neil Williams July 27th 03 09:50 PM

Ticketless Buses Zone 1?

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:40:34 +0100, Dave
wrote:

Do remember though, that no routes are crew-operated 24/7.

And also that the death knell has been sounded for the Routemaster
anyway - more and more bendy routes will be introduced, and once
off-bus ticketing and all-door boarding has been introduced on other
routes the loading speed advantage of the Routemaster will be as good
as wiped out.

Neil

Dave July 27th 03 10:12 PM

Ticketless Buses Zone 1?

Roy Stilling writes
Dave wrote:

As the purpose of the scheme is to reduce boarding times and as it
applies at specific bus stops served by specific routes (not *all* bus
stops on *all* routes) - then what 'common-sense' indicates to me is
that they're probably not including crew-operated routes in the scheme.

But they're installing ticket machines at stops on Piccadilly that are
only served by crew-operated routes.

You can also purchase one-day bus passes from the machines; these are
not available for purchase on-board the bus.

--
Dave

Robin May July 27th 03 10:35 PM

Ticketless Buses Zone 1?

wrote:

Do remember though, that no routes are crew-operated 24/7.

And also that the death knell has been sounded for the Routemaster
anyway - more and more bendy routes will be introduced, and once
off-bus ticketing and all-door boarding has been introduced on other
routes the loading speed advantage of the Routemaster will be as good
as wiped out.

But the Routemaster still has the advantage of being liked more than
any other sort of bus. Most people I know prefer Routemasters to others
buses. I'm not sure what it is about them but they're just better
liked.

--
message by Robin May, founder of International Boyism
"Would Inspector Sands please go to the Operations Room immediately."

Unofficially immune to hangovers.

James Farrar July 28th 03 06:20 AM

Ticketless Buses Zone 1?

Mark Brader wrote:
Neil Williams:

And also that the death knell has been sounded for the Routemaster
... and once off-bus ticketing and all-door boarding has been
introduced on other routes the loading speed advantage of the
Routemaster will be as good as wiped out.

Only at bus stops.

And since you're technically not supposed to get on or off other than at
bus stops...

Ed Crowley July 28th 03 09:02 AM

Ticketless Buses Zone 1?

wrote:

Do remember though, that no routes are crew-operated 24/7.

And also that the death knell has been sounded for the Routemaster
anyway - more and more bendy routes will be introduced, and once
off-bus ticketing and all-door boarding has been introduced on other
routes the loading speed advantage of the Routemaster will be as good
as wiped out.

But the Routemaster still has the advantage of being liked more than
any other sort of bus. Most people I know prefer Routemasters to others
buses. I'm not sure what it is about them but they're just better
liked.

It would be nice if RMs were retained, even if it was only for tourist
services. Personally, I think the bendy buses are much better (faster than
a RM, less dangerous than a double-decker).

The Only Living Boy in New Cross July 28th 03 11:10 AM

Ticketless Buses Zone 1?

Robin May wrote in message .. .
(Neil Williams) wrote the following in:

But the Routemaster still has the advantage of being liked more than
any other sort of bus. Most people I know prefer Routemasters to others
buses. I'm not sure what it is about them but they're just better
liked.

People may *say* they like them, but they certainly don't like going
upstairs on them. This is the main reason bendy buses are being
introduced; same (or greater) capacity as a double-decker but lazy
types can now no longer crowd into the bottom floor, causing the bus
to have to go past waiting passengers even though there is plenty of
space on the top deck.