Old July 27th 03, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ticketless Buses Zone 1?

Does this mean, for example, someone getting on a Routemaster, which has a
conductor, will be unable to buy the ticket from the counductor when in the
"ticketless" zone, but can buy one from him when the same bus is outside that
zone?

If so, is it actually going to be the case that a passenger trying to buy a
ticket from the conductor in that zone will be put off the bus, or told "wait
till we are out of the zone and I'll sell you a ticket then", or will
commonsense prevail and he will sell you a ticket as usual?

Marc.

Old July 27th 03, 07:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mait001 writes
Does this mean, for example, someone getting on a Routemaster, which has a
conductor, will be unable to buy the ticket from the counductor when in the
"ticketless" zone, but can buy one from him when the same bus is outside that
zone?

If so, is it actually going to be the case that a passenger trying to buy a
ticket from the conductor in that zone will be put off the bus, or told "wait
till we are out of the zone and I'll sell you a ticket then", or will
commonsense prevail and he will sell you a ticket as usual?

As the purpose of the scheme is to reduce boarding times and as it
applies at specific bus stops served by specific routes (not *all* bus
stops on *all* routes) - then what 'common-sense' indicates to me is
that they're probably not including crew-operated routes in the scheme.

--
Dave
Old July 27th 03, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:40:25 +0100, Roy Stilling
wrote:

Dave wrote:

As the purpose of the scheme is to reduce boarding times and as it
applies at specific bus stops served by specific routes (not *all* bus
stops on *all* routes) - then what 'common-sense' indicates to me is
that they're probably not including crew-operated routes in the scheme.

But they're installing ticket machines at stops on Piccadilly that are
only served by crew-operated routes.

Roy

24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old July 27th 03, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roy Stilling writes
As the purpose of the scheme is to reduce boarding times and as it
applies at specific bus stops served by specific routes (not *all* bus
stops on *all* routes) - then what 'common-sense' indicates to me is
that they're probably not including crew-operated routes in the scheme.

But they're installing ticket machines at stops on Piccadilly that are
only served by crew-operated routes.

Do remember though, that no routes are crew-operated 24/7.

--
Dave
Old July 27th 03, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:40:34 +0100, Dave
wrote:

Do remember though, that no routes are crew-operated 24/7.

And also that the death knell has been sounded for the Routemaster
anyway - more and more bendy routes will be introduced, and once
off-bus ticketing and all-door boarding has been introduced on other
routes the loading speed advantage of the Routemaster will be as good
as wiped out.

Neil

Old July 27th 03, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roy Stilling writes
Dave wrote:

As the purpose of the scheme is to reduce boarding times and as it
applies at specific bus stops served by specific routes (not *all* bus
stops on *all* routes) - then what 'common-sense' indicates to me is
that they're probably not including crew-operated routes in the scheme.

But they're installing ticket machines at stops on Piccadilly that are
only served by crew-operated routes.

You can also purchase one-day bus passes from the machines; these are
not available for purchase on-board the bus.

--
Dave
Old July 28th 03, 06:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark Brader wrote:
Neil Williams:

And also that the death knell has been sounded for the Routemaster
... and once off-bus ticketing and all-door boarding has been
introduced on other routes the loading speed advantage of the
Routemaster will be as good as wiped out.

Only at bus stops.

And since you're technically not supposed to get on or off other than at
bus stops...