Old May 10th 06, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default tube system radio usage

I note Bakerloo services stopped this morning following radio failure.

What usage for radio is essential to run tube services?

I assume signal light and switch control uses wired links and drivers
control trains - with the exception of the Victoria line.

I hope my assumptions will be corrected here.
--
Walter Briscoe

Old May 10th 06, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Walter Briscoe wrote:
I note Bakerloo services stopped this morning following radio failure.

What usage for radio is essential to run tube services?

Do you not think it essential for there to be a means of communication
between trains and operations control?

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

Old May 10th 06, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
a a is offline

Larry Lard wrote:
Walter Briscoe wrote:
I note Bakerloo services stopped this morning following radio failure.

What usage for radio is essential to run tube services?

Do you not think it essential for there to be a means of communication
between trains and operations control?

In the old days they would stop and clip on a telephone to the two
cables which run down the side of every tunnel.

Ian
Old May 10th 06, 02:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Barry Salter" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 May 2006 12:13:02 +0100, Walter Briscoe
wrote:

I note Bakerloo services stopped this morning following radio failure.

What usage for radio is essential to run tube services?

Contact with the Line Controller in the main. If, for example, Oxford
Circus was closed due to a security alert, the Line Controller (or an
underling thereof) would need to inform all of the drivers (sorry, Train
Operators) so they don't stop there. Similarly, if they want to
terminate the train early for some reason, or hold it in a station to
even out gaps in the service, etc...

The main reason is that in deep level tubes the radio automatically sends an
alarm to the Line Controller in the event of the T/Op collapsing and
releasing the CTBC. It also opens a radio PA channel allowing the Line
Controller to speak over the trains PA (The idea being that s/he will ask if
there are any LU staff or medically qualified personnel on the train). If
you travel on the tube very late at night you will sometimes hear tests of
this functionality being carried out. This was one of the ways LUL was able
to get deep level OPO past HMRI...
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

Old May 10th 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Similarly, if they want to
terminate the train early for some reason, or hold it in a station to
even out gaps in the service, etc...

What a nice idea, informing the Train Operator, but it'll never catch on

Old May 10th 06, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Dulieu wrote:
It also opens a radio PA channel allowing the Line Controller to speak over the trains PA

Can the line controller stop the train too?

Old May 11th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
oups.com...
Steve Dulieu wrote:
It also opens a radio PA channel allowing the Line Controller to speak
over the trains PA

Can the line controller stop the train too?

OK, how it works on the Picc (I'm not familiar with other stock, but I
imagine it's the same) is like this;
T/Op keels over and drops the CTBC.[1]
Train comes to a grinding halt due to the emergency brake application that's
just been made.
Train sits there for 60 seconds.
If the T/Op doesn't depress the CTBC within that 60 seconds, a REALLY loud
alarm sounds in the cab for a further 30 seconds.
If the CTBC has not been depressed within that 30 seconds the train sends a
CTBC alarm via the train radio to the Line Controller at Earls Court, this
causes a dedicated display on his desk to show the train number and
activates the facility to speak over the trains PA if required. It also
illuminates the "Calling On" light at the rear of the train.
Line Controller attempts to contact T/Op on incident train, if he can't,
then he instigates a step-through procedure using the train behind whilst at
the same time using the PA facility to attempt to get assistance to the
casualty T/Op.

[1] CTBC = Combined Traction Brake Controller - Deadmans Handle to those
that don't speak railway
HTH

Old May 14th 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Dulieu wrote:
Line Controller attempts to contact T/Op on incident train, if he can't,
then he instigates a step-through procedure using the train behind whilst at
the same time using the PA facility to attempt to get assistance to the
casualty T/Op.

Does this mean,
"Ladies and gentlemen, we apologise for this delay, which is due to
your driver being taken ill. Could any doctor or first-aider on the
train please make their way to the front as quickly as possible, to
give him/her whatever medical help is needed?"

Can passengers get into the cab anyway?

Colin McKenzie

--
In Britain, there is less justification for wearing cycling helmets
than there is for wearing walking helmets.

Old May 14th 06, 04:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin McKenzie wrote:
Steve Dulieu wrote:
Line Controller attempts to contact T/Op on incident train, if he
can't, then he instigates a step-through procedure using the train
behind whilst at the same time using the PA facility to attempt to
get assistance to the casualty T/Op.

Does this mean,
"Ladies and gentlemen, we apologise for this delay, which is due to
your driver being taken ill. Could any doctor or first-aider on the
train please make their way to the front as quickly as possible, to
give him/her whatever medical help is needed?"

Can passengers get into the cab anyway?

Yes, if they break the glass that covers the door handle.
--
Richard J.