Old January 13th 16, 02:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Map of station usage

I haven't seen this before. The key is incomplete and doesn't work, but
the map itself is still useful.

http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

Old January 13th 16, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 13/01/16 15:10, Basil Jet wrote:

I haven't seen this before. The key is incomplete and doesn't work, but
the map itself is still useful.

http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

It seems to be working for me.
Old January 13th 16, 02:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 15:10:23 on Wed, 13 Jan
2016, Basil Jet remarked:
I haven't seen this before. The key is incomplete and doesn't work, but
the map itself is still useful.

http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

Competition time!

Which stations have the biggest shift of ticket types from one year to
the next. My first candidate is Shippea Hill which went from 64% Season
tickets in 2012-13 to 0% in 2013-14
Old January 13th 16, 04:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2016\01\13 15:30, Martin Coffee wrote:
On 13/01/16 15:10, Basil Jet wrote:

I haven't seen this before. The key is incomplete and doesn't work, but
the map itself is still useful.

http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

It seems to be working for me.

I don't get any colours alongside the operator names, but that's no
biggy. The lack of any clue what the blob sizes mean is my main beef.

I'm using Safari on a Mac.
Old January 13th 16, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
Basil Jet wrote:

On 2016\01\13 15:30, Martin Coffee wrote:
On 13/01/16 15:10, Basil Jet wrote:

I haven't seen this before. The key is incomplete and doesn't work, but
the map itself is still useful.

http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

It seems to be working for me.

I don't get any colours alongside the operator names, but that's no
biggy. The lack of any clue what the blob sizes mean is my main beef.

I'm using Safari on a Mac.

I'm also using a Mac. The Information panel tells you what the blob
size means (though without quantifying it) - "The symbols used to
represent stations on this map are shown at a size proportional to the
total number of entries and exits for 2013-2014 (using a logarithmic
scale)."

Clicking on the station brings up stats, a bigger panel than if you just
hover over it; that works in both Safari (slightly old) and Firefox (up
to date). Firefox sometimes fails to load icons and Safari consistently
fails to load the 'close' button icon, but apart from that both work
FSVO "work".

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Old January 13th 16, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2016\01\13 19:07, Hils wrote:
On 13/01/16 18:25, Sam Wilson wrote:
In article ,
Basil Jet wrote:

On 2016\01\13 15:30, Martin Coffee wrote:
On 13/01/16 15:10, Basil Jet wrote:

I haven't seen this before. The key is incomplete and doesn't work, but
the map itself is still useful.

http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

It seems to be working for me.

I don't get any colours alongside the operator names, but that's no
biggy. The lack of any clue what the blob sizes mean is my main beef.

I'm using Safari on a Mac.

I'm also using a Mac. The Information panel tells you what the blob
size means (though without quantifying it) - "The symbols used to
represent stations on this map are shown at a size proportional to the
total number of entries and exits for 2013-2014 (using a logarithmic
scale)."

A linear scale would be a useful option.

I think blob radius should be proportional to the cube root of the
passenger number, as if the blob is a sphere. This would give a 50
million station 10 times the width of a 50 thousand one. Using log is
bizarre and inappropriate.

Clicking on the station brings up stats, a bigger panel than if you just
hover over it;

Thanks, I only discovered the hover panels.
Old January 13th 16, 09:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 13/01/2016 15:10, Basil Jet wrote:

I haven't seen this before. The key is incomplete and doesn't work,
but the map itself is still useful.

http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

(Firefox / Windows 10)

Map is excellent.

Map key now working for me, but when I first tried, I just got jumbled
layers of text.

Must have taken a lot of work to implement.

Old January 13th 16, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Basil Jet wrote on 13 Jan 2016 at 19:28 ...
Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

That is a neat mathematical concept, but it doesn't work in practice.
If Achnasheen (3972 entries and exits) had a blob 1mm in diameter, then
London Waterloo (98,442,742) would have to be 29mm in diameter, and all
the south London termini would merge into a huge blob.

Using log is bizarre and inappropriate.

Using logarithms to illustrate the differences in scale of a very widely
dispersed series is a well-known graphical technique, and it's entirely
appropriate here. Using your cube-root idea would seriously degrade the
legibility of the map in London and other urban centres.

--
Richard J.
Old January 14th 16, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 15:10:23 +0000
Basil Jet wrote:
I haven't seen this before. The key is incomplete and doesn't work, but
the map itself is still useful.

http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

Its sad how sparse the network is, especially in east anglia. People who waffle
on about the demise of the private car really need to take a good look at this
map.

--
Spud

Old January 14th 16, 09:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
BevanPrice wrote:

On 13/01/2016 15:10, Basil Jet wrote:

I haven't seen this before. The key is incomplete and doesn't work,
but the map itself is still useful.

http://www.merrittcartographic.co.uk..._railways.html

(Firefox / Windows 10)

Map is excellent.

Map key now working for me, but when I first tried, I just got jumbled
layers of text.

That happened for me before the browser loaded the images - the ALT text
was displayed instead. On the 2nd or 3rd reload the images came down
too.

Must have taken a lot of work to implement.

Agreed - thanks to the authors.