Old May 28th 06, 07:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Route 395

Why was this route withdrawn?

Old May 29th 06, 03:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:
On Sun, 28 May 2006 19:39:25 +0100, "Chris Read"
wrote:

Why was this route withdrawn?

A quick bit of Googling suggests that it was expensive to operate
compared to the number of journeys undertaken, plus with the Rotherhithe
Tunnel being closed for roadworks I would suspect it would have meant a
fairly major diversion compared to the short route.

Cheers,

Barry

Don't know why it was withdrawn, can only suggest it was never that
busy.

Talking of diversions, I'm always amused to see instructions posted up
at Canada Water bus station on how to get to Canary Wharf by bus.
Obviously whilst route 395 was in operation the instructions were to
catch this bus and once north of the river alight on the Commercial
road for one of the buses to the Wharf - the notices gave an estimated
journey time of 45 minutes plus, and compared it to the 5 minute
journey on the Jubilee line.

Since the 395 has been wqithdrawn new notices advise people to travel
via the City, with an estimated journey time of an hour plus.

I joked with one of the bus station staff at Canada Water about this
once, and he said they were asked the "how do I get there by bus"
question so often they'd just put up the notices. He said that they
just weren't interested in going by Tube as they had a bus pass.

I can quite understand people being on a tight budget, but it's a great
shame they ain't figured out that a zones 2&3 weekly Travelcard costs
£14, a mere 50p cheaper that a weekly London Bus Pass. Said Travelcard
would of course allow for the Canada Water - Canary Wharf journey, and
open up almost all the DLR network as well. Perhaps I should be
benevolent and put up some notices of my own advertising said fact. And
probably get done under some archaic LT byelaw!

Old June 19th 06, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Why was this route withdrawn?

A quick bit of Googling suggests that it was expensive to operate
compared to the number of journeys undertaken, plus with the Rotherhithe
Tunnel being closed for roadworks I would suspect it would have meant a
fairly major diversion compared to the short route.

Is this permanent? Or will it come back when the tunnel is open
again....

Old June 20th 06, 12:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

I can quite understand people being on a tight budget, but it's a great
shame they ain't figured out that a zones 2&3 weekly Travelcard costs
£14, a mere 50p cheaper that a weekly London Bus Pass. Said Travelcard
would of course allow for the Canada Water - Canary Wharf journey, and
open up almost all the DLR network as well.

And indeed any bus journey.

Given that any Travelcard is valid on the entire bus network regardless
of zones, this makes a bit of a farce of the weekly Bus Pass.

Neil

Old July 8th 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Why was this route withdrawn?

And when was it withdrawn?

A quick bit of Googling suggests that it was expensive to operate
compared to the number of journeys undertaken, plus with the Rotherhithe
Tunnel being closed for roadworks I would suspect it would have meant a
fairly major diversion compared to the short route.

Searching the tfl site shows nothing about its withdawal, and the search
results include several spider maps where it's still included. This
suggests that it may be temporary. However, the bus tender results page
list of routes does not include 395.

Don't know why it was withdrawn, can only suggest it was never that
busy.

When bus services terminate short of where people want to go, it's not
surprising they don't get passengers. Before the Jubilee, the buses
through the Rotherhithe Tunnel did serve Canary Wharf (and not just the
part nearest the station) but when the JLE opened they cut it back to
Limehouse, even though the stretch of tube between Canada Water and
Canary Wharf quickly became overcrowded!

Canary Wharf's not at all well served by buses, so it's hardly
surprising that the tube and DLR are overcrowded - and rather annoying
to see the Mayor (and almost everyone associated with the project)
claiming that because of the overcrowding, Canary Wharf should get
Crossrail before other parts of London with genuine transport problems.

But even if they wanted ot keep it away from Canary Wharf, they could at
least have diverted it up Burdet Road to Mile End. TfL are well aware
that buses attract many more passengers when there are significant
destinations at both ends of the route, so there was really no excuse
for finishing at Limehouse.

[...]

But aren't they more likely to be on one day bus passes?

--
Aidan Stanger
http://www.bettercrossrail.co.uk

Old July 8th 06, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 01:57:00 +0930, (Aidan Stanger)
wrote:

wrote:

Why was this route withdrawn?

And when was it withdrawn?

29 April 2006 IIRC

A quick bit of Googling suggests that it was expensive to operate
compared to the number of journeys undertaken, plus with the Rotherhithe
Tunnel being closed for roadworks I would suspect it would have meant a
fairly major diversion compared to the short route.

Searching the tfl site shows nothing about its withdawal, and the search
results include several spider maps where it's still included. This
suggests that it may be temporary. However, the bus tender results page
list of routes does not include 395.

It was not awarded at retender - instead it was earmarked for
withdrawal. TfL do not advertise bad news or cuts to bus services.

I can assure you that there is no indication whatsoever that it is a
temporary withdrawal. The special buses that are required to run the
service have been sent away from London for other duties within First
Group.

Don't know why it was withdrawn, can only suggest it was never that
busy.

But even if they wanted ot keep it away from Canary Wharf, they could at
least have diverted it up Burdet Road to Mile End. TfL are well aware
that buses attract many more passengers when there are significant
destinations at both ends of the route, so there was really no excuse
for finishing at Limehouse.

I think the excuse is simple - they wished to devote the minimum amount
of resources to the route. Given that very expensive Mercedes Sprinter
buses were needed and they were dreadfully unreliable there was little
prospect of extra money being spent.
--
Paul C

Old July 9th 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

(snip)
TfL do not advertise bad news or cuts to bus services.

Why not? Any idea whose decision it was to neglect their duty to keep
the public informed?

I can assure you that there is no indication whatsoever that it is a
temporary withdrawal. The special buses that are required to run the
service have been sent away from London for other duties within First
Group.

Why does it require special buses?

Old July 9th 06, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message
Paul Corfield wrote:

(snip)
TfL do not advertise bad news or cuts to bus services.

Why not? Any idea whose decision it was to neglect their duty to
keep
the public informed?

I can assure you that there is no indication whatsoever that it is
temporary withdrawal. The special buses that are required to run
the
service have been sent away from London for other duties within
First
Group.

Why does it require special buses?

Because "normal" buses were considered "too big" for the Rotherhithe
Tunnel.

Old July 10th 06, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
There are width restrictions at both entrances [to the Rotherhithe Tunnel].
There are also very tight clearances where there the tunnel changes direction.

This is something that's always puzzled me - why does the Rotherhithe
Tunnel change direction? Surely, when it was being built, it would
have been cheaper and easier to just go in a straight line? Yet it
twists and turns constantly.

Patrick