London Banter

-   -   London Underground route finder for your journey with Google Maps (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4216-london-underground-route-finder-your.html)

ezusbo June 13th 06 08:57 AM

London Underground route finder for your journey with Google Maps

Hi all

I have developed a facility which allows you to find out the best
routes between two London Underground stations, try searching for it at
http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes. The routes found are colour
coded to indicate line changes and National Rail stations where
available. There is also integrated Google Maps to show you the
surrounding area of each station along the paths found.

Let me know if you have any suggestion/comment for improvement.

Regards
David

Martin Underwood June 13th 06 09:08 AM

ezusbo wrote in message
:

Hi all

I have developed a facility which allows you to find out the best
routes between two London Underground stations, try searching for it
at
http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes. The routes found are colour
coded to indicate line changes and National Rail stations where
available. There is also integrated Google Maps to show you the
surrounding area of each station along the paths found.

Let me know if you have any suggestion/comment for improvement.

Looks good. Maybe you should make it clearer which is the station at which
you have to change, by doing one or other of the following:

- display the change station in the colours of both lines (left hand side of
box in old colour; right hand side in new colour)

- repeat the station name: one box in the colour of the old line and then
the same name in a box below in the colour of the new line

The first suggestion is probably the better one.

[email protected] June 13th 06 10:47 AM

London Underground route finder for your journey with Google Maps

Surely the tube planner is as effective as this.

What I want is how best to travel from Tottenham Hale to Camden Town?

Simple question?

OK so Victoria Line from Tottenham Hale to ??

Kings Cross OR Euston

Actually the solution I like the best is to sit in the front carriage
of the tube train from TH to Euston.

Then use what I call the stairs short cut (right by the front of the
train on arrival at Euston) to the bank Branch of the Northern Line.
Northenr Line to Camden Town

The reverse is similar. Always get a Bank Branch train from camden
Town. Sit in the rear most carriage and then at Euston use the short
cut stairs (right by the rear carriage) to the Victoria Line
Northbound.

This saves having to go up to "high level" (which you end up doing if
you use a charing cross train) and then down again at Euston.

Any other ideas?

Martin Underwood wrote:

:

asdf June 13th 06 12:56 PM

On 13 Jun 2006 03:47:29 -0700, wrote:

Surely the tube planner is as effective as this.

What I want is how best to travel from Tottenham Hale to Camden Town?

Any other ideas?

Vic to Highbury & Islington, then NLL to Camden Road?

ezusbo June 13th 06 03:18 PM

Martin Underwood wrote:

ezusbo wrote in message
:

[...]

Acknowledged, will try to do that in version 2. I have a day job, so
this is only a hobby. Thank you for your input.

David

ezusbo June 13th 06 03:20 PM

London Underground route finder for your journey with Google Maps

wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:08:12 +0100, Martin Underwood wrote:

ezusbo wrote in message
.com:

[...]

I'd prefer the second, but certainly the current position could be
confusing to someone not used to the tube.

I don't find the integrated map working using Firefox.

Hi

I tested this using Firefox, so it should work better than IE, in fact.
With IE, I could not get the overlays to work properly, whereas they
show up correctly in Firefox. I use version 1.5, which version do you
have and what problem do you encounter ?

David

ezusbo June 13th 06 03:24 PM

Martin Underwood wrote:

ezusbo wrote in message
:

[...]

That is an awesome suggestion, and to implement it will require
knowledge of the station layouts too. I am not sure if this stuff is
available on the web though, not to mention the challenge in
programming that algorithm into the web page.

David

AstraVanMan June 13th 06 03:49 PM

London Underground route finder for your journey with Google Maps

What I want is how best to travel from Tottenham Hale to Camden Town?

Simple question?

snip
Then use what I call the stairs short cut (right by the front of the
train on arrival at Euston) to the bank Branch of the Northern Line.
Northenr Line to Camden Town

The reverse is similar. Always get a Bank Branch train from camden
Town. Sit in the rear most carriage and then at Euston use the short
cut stairs (right by the rear carriage) to the Victoria Line
Northbound.

This saves having to go up to "high level" (which you end up doing if
you use a charing cross train) and then down again at Euston.

That's handy, that. On a slightly different note, am I right in thinking
that it's a cross-platform interchange for Southbound Victoria/Southbound
Bank Branch, and the same for Northbound?

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Paul Llanberis June 13th 06 04:58 PM

London Underground route finder for your journey with Google Maps

On 13 Jun 2006 08:18:11 -0700, "ezusbo"
wrote:

Martin Underwood wrote:

ezusbo wrote in message
:

I have developed a facility which allows you to find out the best
routes between two London Underground stations, try searching for it
at
http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes.

I tried a trip on the program from Waterloo to Shoreditch and it gave
a route beautifully. It shows you'll have to keep up the editing too!
I'm glad I finally visited Shoreditch on the day it closed - what an
atmospheric place.

Paul

Paul Corfield June 13th 06 05:02 PM

London Underground route finder for your journey with Google Maps

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:49:22 GMT, "AstraVanMan"
wrote:

That's handy, that. On a slightly different note, am I right in thinking
that it's a cross-platform interchange for Southbound Victoria/Southbound
Bank Branch, and the same for Northbound?

You would be correct. It's only really designed for southbound Northern
to southbound Victoria and Northbound Victoria to the Northbound
Northern Line. Come from the "wrong" direction and you go through Kings
Cross twice.
--
Paul C

[email protected] June 13th 06 07:44 PM

ezusbo wrote:

That is an awesome suggestion, and to implement it will require
knowledge of the station layouts too. I am not sure if this stuff is
available on the web though, not to mention the challenge in
programming that algorithm into the web page.

You could use Roger Collings' "Way Out Tube Map" (printed, at
bookstores) for reference, which actually gives the ordinal number of
the carriage next to the exit or interchange for each station. But I
doubt that would be fair use of the map data unless you asked the
publisher or checked for yourself throughout the network.

According to the map, taking the 2nd carriage on southbound Victoria
line trains is even closer to the exit at Euston ...

Regards,
Johannes

Ian Jelf June 13th 06 07:57 PM

London Underground route finder for your journey with Google Maps

In message , Paul Llanberis
writes
I tried a trip on the program from Waterloo to Shoreditch and it gave a
route beautifully. It shows you'll have to keep up the editing too! I'm
glad I finally visited Shoreditch on the day it closed - what an
atmospheric place.

I was able to call in at the end of a busy day, too. (I'd only ever
used the station once before.)

There was a lovely relaxed atmosphere there, with photographers
good-humouredly exchanging words with staff and a slight party
atmosphere. It was like some of the nicer aspects of the Routemaster
farewell days without the slightly frenetic feeling that went with some
of them!

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

ezusbo June 14th 06 09:28 AM

London Underground route finder for your journey with Google Maps

Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Paul Llanberis
writes
I tried a trip on the program from Waterloo to Shoreditch and it gave a
route beautifully. It shows you'll have to keep up the editing too! I'm
glad I finally visited Shoreditch on the day it closed - what an
atmospheric place.

I was able to call in at the end of a busy day, too. (I'd only ever
used the station once before.)

There was a lovely relaxed atmosphere there, with photographers
good-humouredly exchanging words with staff and a slight party
atmosphere. It was like some of the nicer aspects of the Routemaster
farewell days without the slightly frenetic feeling that went with some
of them!

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Shoreditch closed ? I just had it reliably from this guy sitting
opposite me who lives in Shoreditch that they are only closing the rail
one, the underground version is being built which will be on the East
London line. So if I wait long enough, my route finder will be relevant
again :-)

David

[email protected] June 14th 06 10:29 AM

ezusbo wrote:
Hi all

I have developed a facility which allows you to find out the best
routes between two London Underground stations, try searching for it at
http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes. The routes found are colour
coded to indicate line changes and National Rail stations where
available. There is also integrated Google Maps to show you the
surrounding area of each station along the paths found.

Let me know if you have any suggestion/comment for improvement.

An interesting idea. I tried Warren Street to Euston Square . The
fastest route between these two is on foot, but the planner suggested
three routes - one from WS to KCSP (Victoria line) then Circle to
Euston Sq. That one is vaguely sensible.

The others routes were Warren Street to Victoria, then clockwise on the
circle to ES, or northern line to Embankment, then clockwise to ES.
Can I assume that where a journey can be done with only one change it
will go for that even if it is much longer than a journey involving two
or more changes?

Simon

Paul Weaver June 14th 06 10:45 AM

wrote:
An interesting idea. I tried Warren Street to Euston Square . The
fastest route between these two is on foot, but the planner suggested
three routes - one from WS to KCSP (Victoria line) then Circle to
Euston Sq. That one is vaguely sensible.

Whit City to Hammersmith, correct route is walk all the way, or the 72
or 220 bus, but aside from that, you can walk to shepherds bush H&C,
then 2 stops, or avoiding walking at all, go via Ealing or Notting Hill
(cheaper via ealing, x-platform at acton town if theres a picc.
waiting)

The routes given were firstly backwards (Hammersmith at the top). First
one was via Ealing, great. Second one via Holborn, and the third was
via H&C to Liverpool Street!

It can support 3 lines though, Amersham to New Cross for example.

Be nice if it included instructions of where to stand, connection
times, limited services, and take all that into aco**** when
route-finding

ezusbo June 14th 06 10:50 AM

wrote:

ezusbo wrote:
[...]

Hi Simon

This is correct. The route finder is optimised for the least number of
stops. It makes the assumption that we do not like changing, as it
involves walking between platforms. Sometimes this gives you the
optimal route, sometimes it does not. This is why I offer you the top
three routes to choose from. However, the system at the moment does not
have the knowledge about the short walk between Warren Street and
Euston Square, or Lancaster Gate to Paddington, or Wimbledon to South
Wimbledon etc.

I am working on it ... :-)

David

ezusbo June 14th 06 10:55 AM

Paul Weaver wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Taken on board, will try to improve it for the future, but it will take
me a bit of time to catch up with TFL :-o

In order to incorporate Rail, buses, walks and exit locations, I need
information on how to source them from the public domain, as I can not
afford the royalty for something I am offering for free. Does anyone
know where I can get them from ?

David

Colin Rosenstiel June 14th 06 11:13 AM

London Underground route finder for your journey with Google Maps

In article ,
(Ian Jelf) wrote:

In message , Paul
Llanberis writes
I tried a trip on the program from Waterloo to Shoreditch and it
gave a route beautifully. It shows you'll have to keep up the
editing too! I'm glad I finally visited Shoreditch on the day it
closed - what an atmospheric place.

I was able to call in at the end of a busy day, too. (I'd only ever
used the station once before.)

There was a lovely relaxed atmosphere there, with photographers
good-humouredly exchanging words with staff and a slight party
atmosphere. It was like some of the nicer aspects of the
Routemaster farewell days without the slightly frenetic feeling that
went with some of them!

What time were you there? As you can see from a picture on my web site,
I was there around 17:45.

On the OP's site, the problem I had (for an journey from East Putney to
Moorgate) was that Circle line details were white on yellow and
therefore barely legible. It also missed what the TfL Journey Planner
claims is the fastest route, via Monument and Bank.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Richard M Willis June 14th 06 12:27 PM

"ezusbo" wrote in message

In order to incorporate Rail, buses, walks and exit locations, I need
information on how to source them from the public domain, as I can not
afford the royalty for something I am offering for free. Does anyone
know where I can get them from ?

Why not have a place on the web site where visitors can voluntarily fill
in the gaps on this sort of thing, or at least have the ability to provide
messages like "XXX is not the best place to change between AAA and BBB;
use ZZZ instead, as the former has platform predictability problems".
If you get enough people corroborating those things, you can use them
to optimise the way your engine finds "appropriate" routes.

Richard [in SG19]

ezusbo June 14th 06 01:08 PM

Richard M Willis wrote:

"ezusbo" wrote in message

In order to incorporate Rail, buses, walks and exit locations, I need
information on how to source them from the public domain, as I can not
afford the royalty for something I am offering for free. Does anyone
know where I can get them from ?

Why not have a place on the web site where visitors can voluntarily fill
in the gaps on this sort of thing, or at least have the ability to provide
messages like "XXX is not the best place to change between AAA and BBB;
use ZZZ instead, as the former has platform predictability problems".
If you get enough people corroborating those things, you can use them
to optimise the way your engine finds "appropriate" routes.

Richard [in SG19]

OK, another fantastic idea. Give me a couple of days and I will at
least add the "shorter to walk" alternatives and the "Have your say"
forums for each route.

David

Paul Weaver June 14th 06 02:14 PM

ezusbo wrote:
Paul Weaver wrote:
In order to incorporate Rail, buses, walks and exit locations, I need
information on how to source them from the public domain, as I can not
afford the royalty for something I am offering for free. Does anyone
know where I can get them from ?

If you can come up with an storage format, something like below, you
could get people to fill it in gradually, and have people collaberate
it. Basically for every station have a list of lines with directions
(i.e. 6 entries for Oxford Circus), and exits (numbers, destinations
etc) and how they connect to every other line and exit.

STATION: Charing Cross
FROM: Bakerloo Line South
TO: Charing Cross Station Exit
EXIT: First carriage
TIME: 2 min

STATION: Charing Cross
FROM: Bakerloo Line South
TO: Trafalger Squate Station Exit
EXIT: First carriage
TIME: 2 min

STATION: Oxford Circus
FROM: Central Line East
TO: Bakerloo Line South
EXIT: Last carriage
TIME: 2 min

STATION: Oxford Circus
FROM: Central Line East
TO: Bakerloo Line North
EXIT: Last carriage
TIME: 3 min

STATION: Oxford Circus
FROM: Central Line East
TO: Victoria Line South
EXIT: Last carriage
TIME: 2 min

STATION: Oxford Circus
FROM: Central Line East
TO: Victoria Line North
EXIT: Last carriage
TIME: 3 min

STATION: Oxford Circus
FROM: Bakerloo Line North
TO: Central Line East
EXIT: 3rd carriage from end
TIME: 2 min

STATION: Oxford Circus
FROM: Bakerloo Line North
TO: Central Line West
EXIT: 3rd carriage from end
TIME: 2 min

STATION: Oxford Circus
FROM: Bakerloo Line North
TO: Victoria Line North
EXIT: Cross platform

David Tran June 14th 06 04:00 PM

wrote:

ezusbo wrote in message
.com:

Hi all

I have developed a facility which allows you to find out the best
routes between two London Underground stations, try searching for it
at
http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes.
I don't find the integrated map working using Firefox.

Hi

I tested this using Firefox, so it should work better than IE, in fact.
With IE, I could not get the overlays to work properly, whereas they
show up correctly in Firefox. I use version 1.5, which version do you
have and what problem do you encounter ?

That's odd, David.
When using Firefox 1.5.0.4 I get a pop-up with geometric designs and
mainly blank squares.

This is very odd, can you access
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.518811,-0.082119 ? (it should bring
up Liverpool Street Station).

I am simply passing the map rendering bit to Google, and this has been
known to work pretty well on most browsers. Does anyone else using this
site have this problem on Firefox too ?

David

Paul Weaver June 14th 06 06:18 PM

David Tran wrote:
wrote:
I don't find the integrated map working using Firefox.

I am simply passing the map rendering bit to Google, and this has been
known to work pretty well on most browsers. Does anyone else using this
site have this problem on Firefox too ?

Nope, work (windows) and home (linux), works fine. 1.5.0.4,
sepcifically (home)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060508
Firefox/1.5.0.4

David Tran June 14th 06 07:10 PM

wrote:
On 14 Jun 2006 09:00:34 -0700, David Tran wrote:

I have developed a facility which allows you to find out the best
routes between two London Underground stations, try searching for it
at
http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes.

I don't find the integrated map working using Firefox.

Hi

I tested this using Firefox, so it should work better than IE, in fact.
With IE, I could not get the overlays to work properly, whereas they
show up correctly in Firefox. I use version 1.5, which version do you
have and what problem do you encounter ?

That's odd, David.
When using Firefox 1.5.0.4 I get a pop-up with geometric designs and
mainly blank squares.

This is very odd, can you access
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.518811,-0.082119 ? (it should bring
up Liverpool Street Station).

It doesn't do so for me :-( - even whitelisting the whole site.

Hi Hum

Does it work under IE ? If not, then maybe it is your firewall settings,
otherwise, I am not sure. As I indicated, I tested this under Firefox,
and Paul said in his reply that it works under his Firefox too.

Trouble with Google Maps is it uses AJAX technology, and the page source
is not accessible to even investigate the problem :-(

David

David Tran June 14th 06 10:24 PM

wrote:
ezusbo wrote:

[...]

I have added the followings "on foot" paths:

Warren Street to Euston Square
Lancaster Gate to Paddington
Bank to Monument

Hope you all like walking :-)

Any other walking shortcuts you know ? Please let me know.

David

David Tran June 14th 06 10:26 PM

Martin Underwood wrote:
ezusbo wrote in message
:

[...]

I have sort of implemented the second suggestion, as it is easier to do
programatically. Let me know what you think.

David

Michael Hoffman June 15th 06 07:34 AM

http://rodcorp.typepad.com/rodcorp/2..._tube_map.html
--
Michael Hoffman

Tim June 15th 06 05:26 PM

ezusbo wrote:

Let me know if you have any suggestion/comment for improvement.

If you choose edgware road circle to pimlico, it doesn't suggest walking
to edgware road bakerloo.

And Bayswater to Queensway doesn't suggest walking :)

I like the station name completion.

Tim

David Tran June 16th 06 10:36 AM

Tim wrote:

ezusbo wrote:

Let me know if you have any suggestion/comment for improvement.

If you choose edgware road circle to pimlico, it doesn't suggest walking
to edgware road bakerloo.

And Bayswater to Queensway doesn't suggest walking :)

I like the station name completion.

Tim

I have added walk paths for some, but walking is not always a preferred
option for all. Maybe the next version I will add support for opting in
or out of walking. Also, a lot of stations around Liverpool Street
station are within walking distance of each other anyway :-)

David

Richard M Willis June 16th 06 11:03 AM

"David Tran" wrote in message

I have added walk paths for some, but walking is not always a preferred
option for all. Maybe the next version I will add support for opting in
or out of walking. Also, a lot of stations around Liverpool Street
station are within walking distance of each other anyway :-)

Why isn't "walking" "a preferred option for all" ?

On the examples quoted at least, the walks underground to change
lines are going to be at least as long as the surface walks to
an alternative station.

Richard [in SG19]

David Tran June 16th 06 12:01 PM

Richard M Willis wrote:

"David Tran" wrote in message

I have added walk paths for some, but walking is not always a preferred
option for all. Maybe the next version I will add support for opting in
or out of walking. Also, a lot of stations around Liverpool Street
station are within walking distance of each other anyway :-)

Why isn't "walking" "a preferred option for all" ?

On the examples quoted at least, the walks underground to change
lines are going to be at least as long as the surface walks to
an alternative station.

Richard [in SG19]

I guess you are right if you live in London. If you are visiting
London, surely you put more trust in the Tube system, rather than your
sense of direction in the outside world :-)

The Google Map popup for each station does show the stations in the
vicinity, so I guess the walking option has always been there, in a
way.

David