Old June 14th 06, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Why associate 4x4s with 225g/km?

Cars can "guzzle" (emotional term, buses "guzzle" more, as for planes)
and not be 4x4s, 4x4s can come in far under the 225g/km figure. Why
does GBrown's media spin get taken on so easily? There is straight
simpleton {4x4 = 225g/km} propaganda at work here which I don't
understand.

A pal's Land Rover is 4.1 litres, thirsty devil and exempt from the
Kengestion tax. I can't find any feedback address for the above web
site to rant at.

--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com

Old June 14th 06, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colum Mylod wrote:

Cars can "guzzle" (emotional term, buses "guzzle" more, as for
planes) and not be 4x4s, 4x4s can come in far under the 225g/km
figure. Why does GBrown's media spin get taken on so easily? There
is straight simpleton {4x4 = 225g/km} propaganda at work here which
I don't understand.

A pal's Land Rover is 4.1 litres, thirsty devil and exempt from the
Kengestion tax. I can't find any feedback address for the above web
site to rant at.

You didn't look very hard. Click on "Contact us" at the top of that
page, then on Website, then on "Style, accuracy, grammar" (as your
complaint is about the accuracy of the news report). In my experience
they are quite good at responding to such feedback.

Also, since the news report is in connection with the presentation of a
petition by the "Alliance Against Urban 4x4s", you could go to their
site (a link is on the BBC page you referenced) and click on "email us".
--
Richard J.

Old June 15th 06, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:24:07 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Colum Mylod wrote:

Cars can "guzzle" (emotional term, buses "guzzle" more, as for
planes) and not be 4x4s, 4x4s can come in far under the 225g/km
figure. Why does GBrown's media spin get taken on so easily? There
is straight simpleton {4x4 = 225g/km} propaganda at work here which
I don't understand.

You didn't look very hard. Click on "Contact us" at the top of that
page, then on Website, then on "Style, accuracy, grammar" (as your
complaint is about the accuracy of the news report). In my experience
they are quite good at responding to such feedback.

You're right, I did miss out a way to respond. A polite direct bit of
feedback has now been sent. Please don't confuse size of car with
quantity of stuff in its pipe etc, and try not to slap out someone's
press release unedited...

Also, since the news report is in connection with the presentation of a
petition by the "Alliance Against Urban 4x4s", you could go to their
site (a link is on the BBC page you referenced) and click on "email us".

I fear this Alliance is not rational enough. I don't like 4x4s or vans
in front of me but to issue a pr where "4x4" is equated to a measure
of exhaust output is a sign of malevolence. Brown did it to slip in a
general tax increase. Their agenda is suspect too. 4x4 cars are a
symbol to hate, they are not of themselves bad (and I don't like them
for many reasons but that does not lead to irrational Ban Them
feelings!)

Ta for the tip!