Old June 29th 06, 11:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

Ned Carlson wrote:

What I'm wondering, is HTF did apostrophes get into the
English language, anyway? None of its ancestor/contributing
languages (Anglo-Saxon, Norse, French, Celtic) use or
used apostrophes, did they?

Modern Dutch uses apostrophes in the plural of certain (or all?) nouns
ending in a long single vowel, such as "2 taxi's" or "3 piano's".

Old June 30th 06, 12:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?/British Standard BS7666.

Richard J. wrote:
wrote:
Richard Rundle wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Richard Rundle wrote:

want to look at British Standard BS7666.

Thank you. I did a Google search on "British Standard BS7666".
It returned some excellent information about UK Mailing Address
structures. I noted the absence of punctuation. However, I
didn't notice anything directly relating to street name sign
posting. Maybe I need to dig a little deeper.

This was great information.

It's more to do with geographic address than postal addresses

Indeed, that was apparent. This standard looks as if it could be a
real help in real estate transactions. I am thinking in terms of
both statutory bodies and real estate agents.

Some of the elements (fields) laid out in the standard are very
similar to those required in a UK mailing address. The odd one is
were a unitary authority may be required instead of a County. Then,
again the use of counties in UK addresses is unusual compared with
other territories and inconsistent. E.g. So many postal towns now
longer need to be qualified by a county.

*No* UK postal addresses now need the county to be included. I find it
irritating when websites ask for your address with the county as a
mandatory field. Many of them will not accept an address in the form
123 Xyz Road, London, [postcode]. You are forced either to enter London
twice or to insert an unnecessary district name such as Acton in place
of the town name.
--
Richard J.

Which County is BRISTOL in these days? And, is it EDINBURGH Midlothian
(the old county) or EDINBURGH Lothian (the new region)?What happened to
those exceptions like MILTON KEYNES?

Old June 30th 06, 01:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Jim Hawkins" wrote in news:ZOUng.23334$q_4.10692
@fe06.highwinds-media.phx:

PedantGrecian is generally a more pleasing way to describe things
appertaining to the country Greece, than Greek./pedant

No, not since the year 2000.

:-)

Old June 30th 06, 02:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
wrote:
Phil Clark wrote:
On 27 Jun 2006 11:25:43 -0700, "Solario"
wrote:

Mark B wrote:

Which is right,
St James' Park (on the signs)
St James Park (in the FGW Timetable)
Pronounced St James's Park, both locally and on the
AutoAnouncer

Opinion

The first example could be wrong in context. If it is a street
name sign it should read "St James Park". If it is a park name
board then I guess St James' Park could be correct. I would
expect a station name board to follow street name sign
conventions.

Street signs in St James's seem to be consistent in the use of
the spelling St James's. Not sure about the park though,
haven't been that way recently.

This, strictly speaking is incorrect. Street signage by statutory
bodies should NOT contain punctuation.

What is your source for this idiotic rule?

It is several decades since I was in academia. However, I have
understood for many years that this is the convention in English
speaking countries.

I'm not aware of such a convention, and have certainly seen street name
signs with apostrophes in London. There was a 1952 LCC regulation on
street name signs, and the Department of Transport issued a Circular,
number 3/93, giving guidance to local authorities. Neither contains any
reference to punctuation or apostrophes.

In point of fact, BS7666 would seem to formalize this convention
from a local government perspective within the UK.

I don't know how you arrive at that conclusion. BS7666 doesn't concern
itself with actual signs. The NPLG's "BS7666 for beginners", in
discussing how address data should be presented for inclusion in
BS7666-compliant databases, says that "No abbreviations or punctuation
shall be used, except apostrophes, ampersands, hyphens and parentheses
which may be used where they form part of an official name."
--
Richard J.

Old June 30th 06, 03:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

and some platforms use multiple stations (e.g.
King's Cross St. Pancras Circle/H&C/Met) so this is the only real
consistent standard.

Not sure what point you're making there. King's Cross St Pancras is AFAIK
the consistent name for all the LU platforms there.

Not everywhere. The tiles on the Met platforms spring to mind most readily,
although the current work is covering them up.

Old June 30th 06, 07:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message . com, at
14:28:46 on Thu, 29 Jun 2006, remarked:

Street signage by statutory bodies should NOT contain punctuation.

I saw a temporary roadsign yesterday, yellow like the AA used to erect,
but it didn't have an owner's name. It was pointing a route into the
back of Donnington, I presumed (there's an event there this weekend).

VIP's Officials

Of course, it may be that the VIPs do have special officials.

St Johns Wood or St John's Wood? Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 0 June 26th 06 04:01 PM
The restoration of St. John's Woo Station TheOneKEA London Transport 47 March 14th 05 11:01 PM
Wood Lane CIG_BIG_CIG London Transport 0 February 29th 04 12:27 PM
Ping John Rowland and others Ian F. London Transport 3 December 3rd 03 05:22 PM
Wood Green... and lights... james007 London Transport 4 July 16th 03 08:57 AM