Old June 21st 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Travelling from Harrow To Grays, advice needed

Hi I am travelling from Harrow on the Hill to Grays in essex by train, and
need to be in Grays by 12.30.

I will be making a return journey as well

I have a PAYG oyster card,

whats the best way of buying a ticket for the BR part of the journey? I dont
want to double pay, as I feel my oyster would become maxed out as a travel
card, so I need a zone 6 to Grays extension, unless Oyster is availible at
Grays.

Can I buy this at a LU station?

Thanks for your help.

Old June 21st 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Aosmosis" wrote:

Hi I am travelling from Harrow on the Hill to Grays in essex by train, and
need to be in Grays by 12.30.

I will be making a return journey as well

I have a PAYG oyster card,

whats the best way of buying a ticket for the BR part of the journey? I

dont
want to double pay, as I feel my oyster would become maxed out as a travel
card, so I need a zone 6 to Grays extension, unless Oyster is availible at
Grays.

Oyster pre-pay is not valid to Grays.

Can I buy this at a LU station?

I assume you will be changing at/passing through Fenchurch Street, West Ham
or Barking as part of this journey, and all three should be able to sell a
Z6 - Grays return. West Ham is an Underground booking office, rather than
National Rail, but I'm 99.9% certain they will sell you a ticket to c2c
destinations such as Grays.

Chris

Old June 22nd 06, 01:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:39:32 +0100, "Chris Read"
wrote:

"Aosmosis" wrote:

[...]

If he's going that way then instead of going from Harrow Met. (he
hasn't said which day of the week) he could go:-

Harrow and WealdstoneWillesden JunctionWest Ham

Wouldn't it be tactically better just to buy a One Day Travelcard
(plus NR ticket or with extension) at Harrow and forget the Oyster
Card ?
--
_______
+---------------------------------------------------+ |\\ //|
Old June 22nd 06, 07:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

news
wrote:

"Aosmosis" wrote:

[...]

Oyster PAYG isn't valid on National Rail, except for a few specific lines
where the service basically parallels LUL. So Oyster PAYG plus Z6-Grays
wouldn't cover the entire journey. Depending on the route the OP will take,
he will need either Oyster PAYG plus an Upminster - Grays ticket, or Oyster
PAYG plus a Barking - Grays ticket, or, as suggested, a ODTC plus a Z6-Grays
extension.

If he does use Oyster PAYG he'd need to touch out at Upminster or Barking
(dependent on route), so could rebook to Grays at either of these stations.

Peter

Old June 22nd 06, 08:39 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

"MIG" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

"Aosmosis" wrote:

[...]

This is one of those unacceptable things about Oyster PAYG. At, say,
Fenchurch Street or West Ham (or Harrow and Wealdstone), you can book a
ticket from Upminster to Grays, but you can't use the PAYG to Upminster
without having to get out at Upminster and wait half an hour (or an
hour, depending on the day). Or else you end up with an unresolved
journey.

If you want to use PAYG get the train that leaves Fenchurch Street 10
minutes before the Grays train, it will also call at Upminster. Get out at
Upminster and touch out on the platform validator. Then pick up the Grays
train that follows on the same platform.