Old June 25th 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default What's this building in Stoke Newington?

It's location suggests thats it's connected with the railway - in fact I
didn't find any street access.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll...02494&t=k&om=1

TIA.

Old June 25th 06, 11:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
It's location suggests thats it's connected with the railway - in fact I
didn't find any street access.

Damn you British and your idle curiosity. Once again we are forced to
relocate our secret base. I suppose it is for the best as business rates
in Stokey were killing us.

ES Blofeld
Old June 25th 06, 11:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, John Rowland wrote:

It's location suggests thats it's connected with the railway - in fact I
didn't find any street access.

If that's where i think it is it's a sort of cabin thing, which i think is
used by bus drivers, presumably when waiting to start a shift. If it's not
bus drivers, it's railway workmen. The way it's perched on the edge of the
line made me think it might be something to do with the railway, but ISTR
the fence being between it and the railway, which argues against that; it
certainly had an open door facing the common at times. Anyone know if
Stoke Newington Common is a driver changeover point for buses?

There's definitely a structure like that by the railway in Stoke
Newington; i often saw it as i went past on the way to the farmers'
market. In fact, yes, that's got to be it - i would have been coming along
Northwold Road from Clapton, then come down across the common to get to
Brooke Road, where the old fire station is, which is where the market was.

tom

--
Yesterday's research projects are today's utilities and tomorrow's
historical footnotes. -- Roy Smith
Old June 26th 06, 05:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Yes its used as a driver changeover point. The 393 bus from Clapton to
Holloway often stops there to change drivers. Also 276 bus and 349 bus
starts from Stoke Newington Common so drivers also use it. I think some
of the 73 bendies start from there as well.

BarryB