Old May 12th 07, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stoke Newington Commuting

I'm moving to London in July and a lot of my friends are located in
the Stoke Newington area. I'm considering moving there but am worried
by the lack of a tube. I will be commuting to Victoria every day. Will
the lack of a tube wreck my head or is the bus/tube combo ok? I'm
moving from Dublin (no tube anyway) and cycle to work in 15 mins.
Thanks!

Old May 12th 07, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On May 12, 3:45 pm, wrote:
I'm moving to London in July and a lot of my friends are located in
the Stoke Newington area. I'm considering moving there but am worried
by the lack of a tube. I will be commuting to Victoria every day. Will
the lack of a tube wreck my head or is the bus/tube combo ok? I'm
moving from Dublin (no tube anyway) and cycle to work in 15 mins.
Thanks!

Must be loads of buses (or 15 minute walk) to Seven Sisters where you
can get the Victoria Line. It looks fairly easy.

Old May 12th 07, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 May 2007 07:45:48 -0700, wrote:

I'm moving to London in July and a lot of my friends are located in
the Stoke Newington area. I'm considering moving there but am worried
by the lack of a tube. I will be commuting to Victoria every day. Will
the lack of a tube wreck my head or is the bus/tube combo ok? I'm
moving from Dublin (no tube anyway) and cycle to work in 15 mins.

It depends on where in Stoke Newington you think you will be.

There is a main line train into Liverpool St that is reasonably frequent
but it is a busy line and you will need to take a tube on from Liverpool
St to Victoria. To be honest not the quickest option given how
incredibly busy Liverpool St is as a terminal station and the Circle
Line is relatively low frequency (every 8 mins or so). You could go via
the Central Line and change at Oxford Circus but I suspect you'd never
believe how incredibly crammed the Central Line gets!

There is the 73 bus from Stoke Newington to Victoria. This is a very
frequent and busy service using "bendy buses". If you were near Stoke
Newington Common then you could board buses that start from there and
you'd probably get a seat. However this is not a fast service - well
over an hour to Victoria and much longer in the evening as the service
traverses Oxford St. There is a 476 that parallels the 73 as far as
Euston which is double deck - this gets busy too but not quite as bad as
the 73.

Stoke Newington is very well served by a lot of bus routes. You could go
against the peak flow to Seven Sisters but you'd need to be fairly close
to the High Road to make this viable. If you were further on into Stoke
Newington (either the Hackney or Islington sides) then you'd likely have
to change buses! It's fair to say Seven Sisters is a busy station on a
busy line but some trains start empty from the depot on the Victoria
Line so you might get a seat - otherwise be prepared to stand if
travelling at peak times. In the reverse direction you may get a seat
from Victoria in the evening but be prepared to sharpen your elbows!

There is a 393 bus which links to Highbury Tube Station on the Vic Line.
Also the 106 and 236 go through to Finsbury Park but via different
routes through Stoke Newington.

I would suggest you download the North East London Bus Map from the TfL
site and have a peruse as to where you think you might locate yourself
and then work it out from there.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/n_east.pdf

--
Paul C

Old May 12th 07, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 May, 19:38, Phil Richards
wrote:

Or if closer to Green Lanes/Clissold Park side a walk or short ride on
the 141 or 341 to Manor House.

And can I recommend Manor House as an area to live. No one thinks very
much of it so prices seem low, you have *excellent* public transport
(I travel all over the south of England and really appreciate it). The
Victoria Line is just one stop down at Finsbury Park and the change is
flat. You aren't *far* from Stoke Newington, but you can access the
Finsbury Park area as well (which is quite fun) and the park, which is
great.

Francis

Old May 12th 07, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Colin McKenzie wrote:

Keep cycling! More people commute by bike from Hackney than any other
London borough.

That because there's no damn tube and most are pretty poor.

I should know.

E.
Old May 13th 07, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
On 12 May, 19:38, Phil Richards
wrote:

Or if closer to Green Lanes/Clissold Park side a walk or short ride on
the 141 or 341 to Manor House.

And can I recommend Manor House as an area to live. No one thinks very
much of it so prices seem low, you have *excellent* public transport
(I travel all over the south of England and really appreciate it).

Well parts of the area around Manor House, yes. I wouldn't call the
Woodberry Down Estate & surrounding flats owned by Hackney Housing or
what ever it's called these days that nice!

The Harringay Ladder (& smaller area opposite known as the Gardens)
isn't bad. Trouble is the middle bit is a long way from either Tube
Station. I did read hear once the reason for long gap in the Piccadilly
Line between Turnpike Lane & Manor House is because many stations were
built along with existing tram interchanges.

Victoria Line is just one stop down at Finsbury Park and the change is
flat. You aren't *far* from Stoke Newington, but you can access the
Finsbury Park area as well (which is quite fun) and the park, which is
great.

Plus Harringay Green Lanes which has an abundance of eateries albeit
many of a Turkish theme!

--
Phil Richards, London, UK
3,600+ railway photos since 1980 at:
Old May 13th 07, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Phil Richards
writes
The Harringay Ladder (& smaller area opposite known as the Gardens)
isn't bad. Trouble is the middle bit is a long way from either Tube
Station. I did read hear once the reason for long gap in the Piccadilly
Line between Turnpike Lane & Manor House is because many stations were
built along with existing tram interchanges.

There was a suggestion when the Piccadilly Line extension was built in
the thirties that an intermediate station should be built at Harringay,
between Manor House and Turnpike Lane.

Frank Pick is said to have vetoes this as the "ethos" of the new line
was to provide rapid transit and therefore needed generally
further-spaced stations and that - as you say - there was good
connection with surface transport at the two stations either side.

(Guess who's been reading a *lot* about the Harringay area
lately.......) :-)

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK