Old July 3rd 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Letter from TfL to FCC

That I happen to have come across and I believe, (although not
guarantee!) is ok for general distribution. The copy I have is a PDF on
TfL paper, so here is the text from the letter (retyped, so the typos
will be mine!):

Ms Elaine Holt
Managing Director
First Capital Connect
Hertford House
1 Cranwood Street
London EC1V 9QS

7th June 2006

Dear Elaine

Announcement on Fares - 6th June

I refer to your recent announcement that you will be unilaterally
imposing restrictions on cheap-day tickets on Thameslink and Great
Northern without effective prior consultation with stakeholders.

I would remind you that the purpose of railways in London is for the
benefit of Londers and London's economy by attracting people to visit
London. The management of overcrowding is not simply achieved by
dramatic fare increases.

I note also in your press release that the wording regarding travelcards
is not clear unless you read it very carefully. If you are considering
withdrawals here, TfL will resist them.

I would also ask you to cease attempts to obliterate references to the
name Thameslink in official station signage.

If you are not prepared to be responsive to the needs of London and
London's economy, I am not prepared to support continuance as holder of
the new Thameslink and Great Northern franchise (which I understand you
have unilaterally renamed First Capital Connect, again without any
consultation whatsoever).

I look forward to your confirmation that you have reconsidered your
position and will be advising the public to this effect.

Yours sincerely,
Ian Brown
Managing Director, London Rail
['Mayor of London' logo]
['A division of Transport for London' etc wording]

Old July 3rd 06, 04:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul G" wrote in message

That I happen to have come across and I believe, (although not
guarantee!) is ok for general distribution. The copy I have is a PDF on
TfL paper, so here is the text from the letter (retyped, so the typos
will be mine!):

TfL's press release is at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=831

Peter

Old July 3rd 06, 05:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul G wrote:
I would remind you that the purpose of railways in London is for the
benefit of Londers and London's economy

Local railways for local people!

I would also ask you to cease attempts to obliterate references to the
name Thameslink in official station signage.

Station names like Kings Cross Thameslink or the Thameslink branding of
signs?

peter

Old July 3rd 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul G" wrote in message

That I happen to have come across and I believe, (although not
guarantee!) is ok for general distribution. The copy I have is a PDF on
TfL paper, so here is the text from the letter (retyped, so the typos
will be mine!):

Ms Elaine Holt
Managing Director
First Capital Connect
Hertford House
1 Cranwood Street
London EC1V 9QS

7th June 2006

Dear Elaine

Announcement on Fares - 6th June

SNIP

I look forward to your confirmation that you have reconsidered your

position and will be advising the public to this effect.

Yours sincerely,
Ian Brown
Managing Director, London Rail
['Mayor of London' logo]
['A division of Transport for London' etc wording]

Has a reply from Ms Holt been forthcoming yet do you know?

Russ Wykes

Old July 3rd 06, 07:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul G wrote:

[...]

I thought TOC's were free to call themselves what they like - without
having to seek approval from Ken...

Do wonder if he'd rather have the trains painted in London Rail
Brown/Orange with roundels... First Neon City or London Turd?*

*which would probably spread to all trains serving the capital, like all
buses operating services classed as London must be red...

Old July 3rd 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Russell Wykes
writes

"Paul G" wrote in message

[...]

No idea, but I'll check it out...

--
Paul G
Typing from Barking
Old July 3rd 06, 09:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mark B wrote:

I thought TOC's were free to call themselves what they like -
without having to seek approval from Ken...

He (and it was Ian Brown, not Ken) wasn't seeking approval, merely
consultation, which is reasonable if the TOC's name appears on the
signage of other operators such as LU.

There is a clear need to distinguish the Thameslink *service* from other
routes that FCC operate, and if FCC are in fact removing the Thameslink
name or even seeking to change station names that include "Thameslink",
then I think that Ian Brown is absolutely right to try to stop it.
--
Richard J.

Old July 3rd 06, 09:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:17:26 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

There is a clear need to distinguish the Thameslink *service* from other
routes that FCC operate, and if FCC are in fact removing the Thameslink
name or even seeking to change station names that include "Thameslink",
then I think that Ian Brown is absolutely right to try to stop it.

The other simple point to make here is that there will be a huge bill
for resigning an awful lot of stations and street furniture not to
mention maps and ticket machine changes.

This will easily cost a six or seven digit number - are FCC proposing
to cover all of those costs? No, didn't think so.
--
Paul C

Old July 3rd 06, 10:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mark B" wrote in message
Paul G wrote:

I thought TOC's were free to call themselves what they like - without
having to seek approval from Ken...

Do wonder if he'd rather have the trains painted in London Rail
Brown/Orange with roundels... First Neon City or London Turd?*

*which would probably spread to all trains serving the capital, like all
buses operating services classed as London must be red...

I thought Thameslink was around before branding? or did the King's Cross TL
station only appear after franchising?

Paul