Old July 27th 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Lightning strike at Richmond

LU are reporting that the District Line is suspended between Turnham
Green and Richmond "due to a lightning strike at Richmond". However,
Silverlink Metro still appear to be running to and from Richmond, though
the service is "disrupted". SWT apparently not affected.

Does anyone know any more about what was struck by lightning? Why would
LU be suspended but Silverlink still running? With westbound bus routes
from Hammersmith disrupted by a burst water main in King Street, a
suspension of the District when other trains are running needs some
explanation.
--
Richard J.

Old July 27th 06, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...

Does anyone know any more about what was struck by lightning?

Maybe it's the other meaning of 'lightning strike'!

Ian

Old July 27th 06, 09:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian F. wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...

Does anyone know any more about what was struck by lightning?

Maybe it's the other meaning of 'lightning strike'!

Ian

There's problems all over the place this way at the moment. Signalling
problems at Hampton and in the Walton on Thames area. I was standing
with my mother by the lake that's formed at the end of their road
earlier and several fire engines went past in different directions. My
neighbour tell me the centre of Walton was flooded to a depth of two
feet earlier.

Neill

Old July 27th 06, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...
LU are reporting that the District Line is suspended between Turnham Green
and Richmond "due to a lightning strike at Richmond". However, Silverlink
Metro still appear to be running to and from Richmond, though the service
is "disrupted". SWT apparently not affected.

Does anyone know any more about what was struck by lightning? Why would
LU be suspended but Silverlink still running? With westbound bus routes
from Hammersmith disrupted by a burst water main in King Street, a
suspension of the District when other trains are running needs some
explanation.
--
Richard J.

I was at Richmond at just before 7pm. It was chaos with water flooding the
lower concourse and people generally confused and milling.

The staff were announcing that both the District and Silverlink Metro were
suspended due to a lightning strike that had knocked out track circuits at
Gunnersbury.
Neither the Tube or the Silverlink trains at Richmond were going anywhere.

Even more fun when I got to St. Margarets however - a drunk stumbled off the
train and fell between the train and the platform, luckily to be hauled out
by a crowd of good samaritans.

Old July 28th 06, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard
J. writes
LU are reporting that the District Line is suspended between Turnham
Green and Richmond "due to a lightning strike at Richmond".

Bloody RMT at it again eh ?? :-)

--
Edward Cowling London UK

Old July 28th 06, 02:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

Neillw001 wrote:
My
neighbour tell me the centre of Walton was flooded to a depth of two
feet earlier.

We do have the power on the understatement in this country. I remember
in January 2005 Carlisle was hit by a flash flood and one on the tv
reports said that "a fence had been washed over". Why did this stick in
my mind so much, two weeks earlier I had survived a tsunami that killed
300,000 people and the UK national tv news were talking about fences
being washed over.
It made me laugh.

Kevin

Old July 28th 06, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In fairness, four people were killed in the Carlisle floods, and
significant numbers of people still have not been able to return to
their homes. Not a tsunami, but not a damaged fence, either.