London Banter

-   -   Bike number plates mooted (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4345-bike-number-plates-mooted.html)

Dave Arquati July 28th 06 10:02 PM

Bike number plates mooted

Apparently, the Mayor is now in favour of bike user/vehicle
registration, and wants a private bill put through Parliament to achieve
this.

I definitely have mixed feelings about this. I disagree with the guy
from British Cycling who says a "tiny minority of cyclists" are flouting
road regulations - in my reasonably frequent cycling experience, I
reckon about half of cyclists go past me through red lights, and as a
pedestrian I come across people cycling on non-shared-use pavements
nearly every day.

On the other hand, I agree with the RAC guy who says we need to
encourage cycling rather than putting people off. I'm inclined to
believe that the benefits of registration (easier enforcement, less
anti-social cycling) would be outweighed by the disbenefits (people put
off cycling because of the hassle factor).

Then again, we've had this discussion on u.t.l many times before.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Colin Rosenstiel July 28th 06 11:05 PM

Bike number plates mooted

In article , (Dave
Arquati) wrote:

[...]

This is totally Dagenham (several stops beyond Barking) is if not
Upminster. It's also Ken reverting to New Labour control freakery to a
degree I didn't believe him capable of. He *has* changed since he was
first elected!

It would decimate cycling in London, not to mention making life
impossible for cyclists like me who bring their bikes in on the train
from Cambridge. We certainly won't be doing anything so dotty in
Cambridge because we actually know we have to promote sustainable
transport. The alternative is total gridlock.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Jack Taylor July 28th 06 11:53 PM

Bike number plates mooted

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

This is totally Dagenham (several stops beyond Barking) is if not
Upminster. It's also Ken reverting to New Labour control freakery to a
degree I didn't believe him capable of. He *has* changed since he was
first elected!

It would decimate cycling in London, not to mention making life
impossible for cyclists like me who bring their bikes in on the train
from Cambridge. We certainly won't be doing anything so dotty in
Cambridge because we actually know we have to promote sustainable
transport. The alternative is total gridlock.

Well said, Colin. It would also be entirely impractical unless it were a
national implementation. For example, how would they be able to regulate
those of us who (like yourself) take a bike on the train into London but
then cycle from one terminus to another before heading out of London to our
destination (in my case, in from Metroland and out of King's Cross to
Peterborough - perhaps Ken would prefer me to clog up the Metropolitan line
by taking my bike right through to KX, in order to avoid the need to license
it?).

Neillw001 July 29th 06 12:00 AM

Bike number plates mooted

Jack Taylor wrote:
Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

[...]

It would be totally impractical to enforce, just how many bicycles are
there in the London area that would be affected? Anyone can buy a
bicycle from anywhere without need to register it. It would require and
Act of Parliament to make it legal and such a thing would never be
passed.

Neill

Colin Rosenstiel July 29th 06 09:38 AM

Bike number plates mooted

In article . com,
(Neillw001) wrote:

Jack Taylor wrote:

[Ken's bike lunacy]

It would be totally impractical to enforce, just how many bicycles
are there in the London area that would be affected? Anyone can buy a
bicycle from anywhere without need to register it. It would require
and Act of Parliament to make it legal and such a thing would never be
passed.

Ken is talking of a Private Bill, something London has every year. But
it could well fall foul of the Parliamentary procedures because of its
effect on people outside London.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] July 29th 06 11:08 AM

Bike number plates mooted

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article . com,
(Neillw001) wrote:

Jack Taylor wrote:

[Ken's bike lunacy]

It would be totally impractical to enforce, just how many bicycles
are there in the London area that would be affected? Anyone can buy a
bicycle from anywhere without need to register it. It would require
and Act of Parliament to make it legal and such a thing would never be
passed.

Ken is talking of a Private Bill, something London has every year. But
it could well fall foul of the Parliamentary procedures because of its
effect on people outside London.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin, I understand what you say about impracticality of "local"
legally-enforced bike registration; i.e. it would have to be national
or nothing.

But, does Cambridge University not still have a mandatory College
resistration system for students' bicycles? I remember my number -
Q283, from all those years ago! I'm not sure what the sanction was for
failing to register and/or display one's number.

Moreover, all resident Members of the University were required to
obtain the Motor Proctor's written consent before having motor vehicle
in the City. I wonder whether that still applies.?

Marc.

Martin Underwood July 29th 06 11:40 AM

Bike number plates mooted

wrote in message
:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article . com,
(Neillw001) wrote:

Jack Taylor wrote:

[Ken's bike lunacy]

It would be totally impractical to enforce, just how many bicycles
are there in the London area that would be affected? Anyone can buy
a bicycle from anywhere without need to register it. It would
require an Act of Parliament to make it legal and such a thing
would never be passed.

Why. If there was a political will, it would happen. I don't know why it
wasn't enacted several decades ago: any vehicle on the road needs to obey
the Highway Code and needs to be identifiable if it fails to do so.

Ken is talking of a Private Bill, something London has every year.
But it could well fall foul of the Parliamentary procedures because
of its effect on people outside London.

Colin, I understand what you say about impracticality of "local"
legally-enforced bike registration; i.e. it would have to be national
or nothing.

As a cyclist (as well as a car driver) I'd wholeheartedly support a national
bicycle registration scheme with a requirement to display
clearly-identifiable number plates front and back that could be read by
police or traffic-light cameras. It's rare to see cars go through red
traffic lights (I see maybe one every couple of months) whereas almost every
day I see cyclists ride straight through lights as if they don't apply to
cyclists - and this is at any time in the phase of the lights, not just at
the very start or end of the red phase. Presumably the thought of being
identified and nicked is a great deterrent for car drivers and the absence
of this for cyclists makes them think they can get away with it... which
they can :-( Likewise for cyclists who drive full-tilt at zebra crossings
with loads of people on, scattering them in their wake - I saw this in
Oxford while I was out cycling: a nutter cyclist overtook me as I was
slowing down for the zebra and rode straight at a group of tourists on the
crossing, scattering them in panic. Luckily a police car was passing and
pulled the cyclist over, but had the police not witnessed it, there was no
registration number that I could have reported to the police.

I believe that road traffic offences committed while cycling don't count
towards penalty points on a car licence: I'd like to see this change too.

Jack Taylor July 29th 06 12:51 PM

Bike number plates mooted

Martin Underwood wrote:

I believe that road traffic offences committed while cycling don't
count towards penalty points on a car licence: I'd like to see this
change too.

So how would that apply to those of us who don't have, never have had and
never intend to have a full driving licence?

Jeremy Parker July 29th 06 02:50 PM

Bike number plates mooted - like Washington DC

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Apparently, the Mayor is now in favour of bike user/vehicle
registration, and wants a private bill put through Parliament to

achieve
this.

I see from the Times of Friday 28th July that Ken Livingstone is
proposing that bikes, and their owners, be required to be registered.
I can live with that. I used to live in Washington DC, which had at
least thirteen registration schemes in various parts of the
metropolitan area.

The schemes usually arose from "Yes Minister" type reasoning: "We've
got to do something. This is something, so we've got to do it." The
usual trigger was bike thefts. It was generally agreed by the powers
that be that assigning a policeman or two to catch a few bike thieves
was not worthwhile, and registration seemed to be the only other way
of actually appearing to be doing something.

The leader in bike registrations was the city of Takoma Park, just to
the north of the District of Columbia. Picture the Muswell Hill of
the Washington area. Takoma Park was involved with four registration
schemes, although any particular cyclist only had to deal with three,
city, county and state - the city straddles the border between two
counties.

Maryland's state scheme was voluntary, and in fact has since been
abolished on the grounds of general uselessness. The county scheme
was compulsory, at least Montgomery County's was. Prince George's
County, and the city's own scheme, I don't know about.

Bureaucratic arrangements for the different schemes round Washington
varied. Information about the registered bikes was kept on
everything from the State Department of Motor Vehicles car
registration databases to card indexes at police stations.
Arrangements for proving that the bike was actually yours to
register, rather than a stolen bike, also varied. For Montgomery
County, where I lived, arrangements were fairly informal. I had a
scheme, which I, alas, was never able to carry out, to discover the
serial number of the bike belonging to the County's Chief Executive,
so I could register the bike in my name, not his.

Arrangements for demonstrating that the bike had been registered also
varied. Most common was a little sticker, to stick on the bike's
frame, slightly bigger than the stickers that bikes sometimes carry
here, to indicate their owner's club affiliation. Some jurisdictions
punched numbers into the bottom bracket, rather in the way that
postcoding is done here. Just as many cyclists here avoid
postcoding, because of possible damage to the bottom bracket
bearings, so they did in Washington, even when it was compulsory.

Arlington, Virginia, I think it was, issued little metal number
plates, not very visible from far off, that were supposed to be fixed
to the bike's back rack. What the requirements were for those bikes
that did not have a back rack, or mudguards, I am not sure. The bike
club here, Audax UK, has a long running and proverbial dispute about
whether and when bikes on Audax rides should be required to have
mudguards. If Ken Livingstone joins in that, it will add a whole new
dimension to the amusement.

With car registration in the USA, reciprocity between states was not
achieved until sometime in the 1920s. Before then, a car crossing a
state border had to have an extra car registration, and an extra set
of number plates. For bikes there is no formal arrangement yet,
although some jurisdictions did write rules on the subject when
introducing their registration requirements. The rules were somewhat
academic, I suppose, since, in practice, nobody knew what those rules
were for any particular part of the Washington area, and any
particular kind of visitor.

Ken Livingstone will have to consider the subject of visitors, and
tell us what the requirements will be for those cyclists coming over
the border from Staines, or Watford or Epping or Dartford. Will they
have to get a temporary pass? Will there be a grace period? Will
the Tour de France riders have to be registered, or Dutch tourists?
Will a bike have to be registered if it is merely on a train, rather
than in the street?

In addition to registering, bikes, there is the question of
registering riders. American police all seem to have a standard
procedure to go through when stopping vehicles. The procedures were
all undoubtedly drawn up by people who assumed that all vehicles were
motor vehicles. Fairly early in any script comes the request to see
the driving licence. Of course I, on principle, never carried my
drivers licence when riding a bike, they being irrelevant when your
vehicle is not a motor vehicle. At the point when the script broke
down, and there was no set procedure, I could actually talk to the
policeman as one human being to another.

If London introduced a quasi drivers licence for cyclists, presumably
one would have five days to show it at a police station, and I
suppose that you could make such a procedure compulsory for five year
old children, as well as adults. You would have to make suitable
arrangements for the non Londoners, for example by requiring the
children from Watford to carry their passports.

In practice, of course, just as enforcing the rules against riding on
the pavement gets a lower priority than stopping terrorism or armed
robbery, so enforcing the bike registration laws got a lower priority
than the riding-on-the-pavement laws. The registration laws, and
their utility in hassling people, are, however, very useful for
keeping people out of the "wrong" neighbourhoods, especially for
discouraging poor black children from exploring rich white
neighbourhoods.

It will be interesting to see how Ken Livingstone's scheme develops

Jeremy Parker

Martin Underwood July 29th 06 04:50 PM

Bike number plates mooted

Jack Taylor wrote in message
:

Martin Underwood wrote:

I believe that road traffic offences committed while cycling don't
count towards penalty points on a car licence: I'd like to see this
change too.

So how would that apply to those of us who don't have, never have had
and never intend to have a full driving licence?

If you haven't got a driving licence, you can't get points on it - although
maybe the law might be framed such that if you subsequently got a driving
licence within the time that the points would have appeared on a licence (if
you'd had one), the licence would be issued with those points already
applied to it ;-)

Maybe one day, if bike number-plates ever become law, the next discussion
might be about requiring a driving licence to ride a bike on the road, with
points applied to it for offences committed either while riding a bike or
driving a car. But let's overcome one hurdle at a time!

It pains me to see cyclists get away with committing offences for which car
drivers would be punished, and the comparatively small number of bad
cyclists blackening the name of all other cyclists (like me) who abide by
the same rules and "drive" to the same standard when cycling as when
driving - including stopping at every red traffic light and occupied zebra
crossing, and not overtaking cars on the left in a queue of traffic
especially approaching a left turn.

Jim July 29th 06 05:31 PM

Bike number plates mooted

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Apparently, the Mayor is now in favour of bike user/vehicle registration,
and wants a private bill put through Parliament to achieve this.

I definitely have mixed feelings about this. I disagree with the guy from
British Cycling who says a "tiny minority of cyclists" are flouting road
regulations - in my reasonably frequent cycling experience, I reckon about
half of cyclists go past me through red lights, and as a pedestrian I come
across people cycling on non-shared-use pavements nearly every day.

Yes, it isn't a tiny minority. I'd even say it's a majority.

But I don't understand why everyone agrees that jumping lights is such a
terrible thing for cyclists. Is there not an argument to be made that
different rules do apply and *ought* to apply to cyclists, simply because
cyclists are making life or death decisions every second they are on the
road.

If you follow the Highway Code to the last letter while driving a car, the
consequences of another road user making a mistake are sometimes but very
rarely fatal. When I'm driving, I don't always slow down to check whether
someone is jumping their red light as I approach my green light. I don't
always glance to the right behind me when turning left, to check if someone
might cut me off as they try to make a left turn.

When I'm cycling, I do these checks 100% of the time, because if I didn't I
would have been killed several times by now. Following the Highway Code to
the letter does not protect me in the same way as it protects a car driver.

So what I'm saying is that cyclists are checking if the coast is clear all
the time, regardless of whether a green light or the rules tell them it's
safe or not. Their reasoning is that the green light is useless to them -
they need to double-check regardless - so why should they be bound by a red
light, when they can see that it's perfectly safe for them to cross.

And if you force cyclists to follow the letter of the law in all situations
(thereby telling them that their own safety is no longer in their own
hands), I think the actual accident statistics would increase.

Boltar July 29th 06 05:47 PM

Bike number plates mooted

Martin Underwood wrote:
Why. If there was a political will, it would happen. I don't know why it
wasn't enacted several decades ago: any vehicle on the road needs to obey
the Highway Code and needs to be identifiable if it fails to do so.

Bicycles arn't road vehicles. They just happened to be used on the road
by
most owners. YOu can ride them in parks, in fields , up hills ,
wherever its allowed.
In fact its debatable whether they are vehicles at all given they don't
have engines.
If you say they are then perhaps we should call push scooters and
skateboards
vehicles too? No? Why not?

As a cyclist (as well as a car driver) I'd wholeheartedly support a national
bicycle registration scheme with a requirement to display
clearly-identifiable number plates front and back that could be read by
police or traffic-light cameras. It's rare to see cars go through red

I think you might find yourself in the minority there. You can just
imagine
some bored plod or traffic warden giving some poor cyclist a ticket for
some minor infraction just as happens with cars today. Can't see
cycling
lasting long if that happens.

they can :-( Likewise for cyclists who drive full-tilt at zebra crossings
with loads of people on, scattering them in their wake - I saw this in

And you think license plates would stop this? You think these people
would
even bother to register? Whats to stop people who don't? How will the
police
catch them if they head off down an alleyway, call in the helicopter?
Be realistic. Theres a simple way of dealing with idiots like that
because I've
done it. I was crossing a pedestrian crossing about 6 months back on a
green man
and saw a courier cyclist heading across my path but I just carried on
walking whereas
she presumably expected me to stop. I made sure she clipped me and she

was sent flying badly grazing her arms. Tough.

I believe that road traffic offences committed while cycling don't count
towards penalty points on a car licence: I'd like to see this change too.

Don't be an ass. A lot of people cycle because they don't drive.

B2003

Martin Underwood July 29th 06 06:10 PM

Bike number plates mooted

Boltar wrote in message
:

Martin Underwood wrote:
Why. If there was a political will, it would happen. I don't know
why it wasn't enacted several decades ago: any vehicle on the road
needs to obey the Highway Code and needs to be identifiable if it
fails to do so.

As a cyclist (as well as a car driver) I'd wholeheartedly support a
national bicycle registration scheme with a requirement to display
clearly-identifiable number plates front and back that could be read
by police or traffic-light cameras. It's rare to see cars go through
red

I think you might find yourself in the minority there. You can just
imagine
some bored plod or traffic warden giving some poor cyclist a ticket
for some minor infraction just as happens with cars today. Can't see
cycling
lasting long if that happens.

Oh I'm used to being in the minority.

Martin Underwood July 29th 06 06:18 PM

Bike number plates mooted

Boltar wrote in message
:

Martin Underwood wrote:
Why. If there was a political will, it would happen. I don't know
why it wasn't enacted several decades ago: any vehicle on the road
needs to obey the Highway Code and needs to be identifiable if it
fails to do so.

Bicycles arn't road vehicles. They just happened to be used on the
road by
most owners. YOu can ride them in parks, in fields , up hills ,
wherever its allowed.
In fact its debatable whether they are vehicles at all given they
don't have engines.
If you say they are then perhaps we should call push scooters and
skateboards
vehicles too? No? Why not?

As soon as a vehicle uses the road, it becomes a road vehicle for the time
that it is on the road.

As a cyclist (as well as a car driver) I'd wholeheartedly support a
national bicycle registration scheme with a requirement to display
clearly-identifiable number plates front and back that could be read
by police or traffic-light cameras. It's rare to see cars go through
red

I think you might find yourself in the minority there. You can just
imagine
some bored plod or traffic warden giving some poor cyclist a ticket
for some minor infraction just as happens with cars today. Can't see
cycling lasting long if that happens.

Oh I'm used to being in the minority - happens all the time. Doesn't make my
views any less valid!

And why should a cyclist escape punishment for "a minor infraction" when a
motorist gets penalised for that same "minor infraction"?

[...]

I witnessed a cyclist ride at a woman pushing a pram across a zebra crossing
when I was at university in Bristol (Bristolians may know Blackboy Hill, a
long road on a downward gradient, crossed by zebra crossings every so
often). Without lessening his speed, he swerved to avoid the pram and
clipped the central refuge bollard, and went flying. As he got up, he was
swearing at the woman for "daring" to cross on a zebra crossing. At one
point I thought I'd have to intervene because he looked as if he was going
to hit her, but my mate, a great big burly guy, "had a word with him" and he
lost interest in this!

I believe that road traffic offences committed while cycling don't
count towards penalty points on a car licence: I'd like to see this
change too.

Don't be an ass. A lot of people cycle because they don't drive.

And they shouldn't have points on their non-existent licence, although such
points should be held in reserve in case the person gets a licence later
(within the validity period of the points). But if they *do* have a licence,
cycling offences (on the road) should constitue endorsable points on it.

Martin Underwood July 29th 06 06:22 PM

Bike number plates mooted

:

achieve this. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5225346.stm

I definitely have mixed feelings about this. I disagree with the guy
from British Cycling who says a "tiny minority of cyclists" are
flouting road regulations - in my reasonably frequent cycling
experience, I reckon about half of cyclists go past me through red
lights, and as a pedestrian I come across people cycling on
non-shared-use pavements nearly every day.

Yes, it isn't a tiny minority. I'd even say it's a majority.

But I don't understand why everyone agrees that jumping lights is
such a terrible thing for cyclists. Is there not an argument to be
made that different rules do apply and *ought* to apply to cyclists,
simply because cyclists are making life or death decisions every
second they are on the road.

No, no and thrice no! I disagree in the strongest terms that different rules
should apply to cyclists. You seem to be saying that because cyclists are
more vulnerable if they make a mistake (and *maybe* are more vigilant
because of this) they should be exempt from obeying traffic lights. I'm an
advanced driver and therefore maybe am more vigilant - should I also be
exempt from obeying parts of the Highway Code?

A cyclist who jumps the lights and hits or is hit by a car who has a green
light doesn't even carry third-party insurance to cover the damage that he
causes to the car.

Jack Taylor July 29th 06 06:44 PM

Bike number plates mooted

Martin Underwood wrote:

It pains me to see cyclists get away with committing offences for
which car drivers would be punished, and the comparatively small
number of bad cyclists blackening the name of all other cyclists
(like me) who abide by the same rules and "drive" to the same
standard when cycling as when driving - including stopping at every
red traffic light and occupied zebra crossing, and not overtaking
cars on the left in a queue of traffic especially approaching a left
turn.

I agree with you 150% - but then, even in my 40s, I must be regarded as "old
school". I try and follow the same rules cycling as I would if I were
driving, I respect crossings and traffic lights, don't overtake on the
inside, when there is other traffic around I indicate (to avoid any
confusion), I carry lights and a fluorescent vest, take heed of one-way
regulations etc etc ad infinitum.

There are a couple of areas where I'm possibly not "to the letter". On
pathways (as distinct from a footpath adjoining a road) I will sometimes
cycle but, if approaching a pedestrian, I slow down until I am certain that
they are aware of my presence (especially when approaching from behind -
I'll wait for them however long it takes). This, despite what it says in the
Highway Code, is a grey area now, with many police forces even (in my
opinion, wrongly) encouraging cyclists to use the footpath for *their* own
safety, even when it's alongside a road. As a pedestrian I know what it's
like when a cycle suddenly hurtles past you from behind, at speed. My other
transgression is that, if I'm approaching a roundabout or corner intending
to turn right, I will normally centre myself in the marked approach lane,
rather than keep strictly left, purely for my own safety - from past
experience too many motorists force their way past and it can be
intimidating and dangerous.

We are actually promoting cycling here in a major way in the next few years
and I am very seriously considering becoming a registered cycle trainer.
Most cyclists behave in a stupid manner simply because nobody has explained
to them (and they have not thought about) the dangers of being on the road,
to both themselves and pedestrians. It's a shame that there is no longer an
effective (preferably compulsory) basic proficiency test for cyclists. In my
day it was carried out on a painted route on a school playground and the
principles of it have always been firmly embedded in my mind when I'm out on
the open road. It's time that it was taken more seriously again. Even if a
licence is not made nationally compulsory there should be a requirement to
hold some form of certificate of competence (perhaps a three level one -
bronze, silver or gold, to represent basic, intermediate or advanced levels,
with the basic level being compulsory and the others optional).

Jack Taylor July 29th 06 06:48 PM

Bike number plates mooted

Jim wrote:

So what I'm saying is that cyclists are checking if the coast is
clear all the time,

Are you serious? You might, I might and Martin might - but I would venture
that we are very much in the minority these days. It's quite terrifying
watching the behaviour of some of our fellow cyclists (mind you, it's
equally terrifying watching some of the suicidal antics of our motorised
brethren in their upholstered roller skates!).

Jim July 29th 06 06:48 PM

Bike number plates mooted

[...]

These are the worst incidents you can both conjure up after a lifetime on
the roads spent, I suspect, in eager observation.

I wonder if there is really a serious problem to be fixed here, apart from a
sense of jealousy that people are getting away with breaking the rules.

Roy Stilling July 29th 06 07:34 PM

Bike number plates mooted

" wrote:

Colin, I understand what you say about impracticality of "local"
legally-enforced bike registration; i.e. it would have to be national
or nothing.

Why? The congestion charge applies to any vehicle entering central
London no matter where in the UK they're from. I don't see legally
why it couldn't be possible to legislate that anyone operating a
bicycle in Greater London must register so long as it were reasonable
easy for people from outside London to register, perhaps have an
office at each mainline terminus where you could register and obtain a
plate or be able to order a plate to be sent through the post.

I know there's not a hope of Ken getting this through, but as a
pedestrian who walks from Cannon Street to Clerkenwell and back every
working day and sees cyclists riding on pavements and through red
lights every such day, I'd love to see it happen.
--
Roy

Dave Arquati July 29th 06 10:22 PM

Bike number plates mooted

Jim wrote:
[...]

This is the impression I get. The expense and hassle of a bike
registration scheme are very unlikely to bring significant benefits,
even in terms of casualty reduction. Although traffic offences by
cyclists are commonplace, the magnitude of the consequences is almost
always far lower - generally annoying rather than life-threatening.

I'm sure someone will pop up to say that a cyclist almost killed them,
but the statistics just don't support this as a common thing - of the
210 pedestrians hit by cycles in the whole of 2004 in the whole of Great
Britain, 1 was killed and 42 were seriously injured [1].

[1] Road Casualties Great Britain 2004 (DfT), table 23.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Dave Arquati July 29th 06 10:44 PM

Jeremy Parker wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Apparently, the Mayor is now in favour of bike user/vehicle
registration, and wants a private bill put through Parliament to
achieve this.

I see from the Times of Friday 28th July that Ken Livingstone is
proposing that bikes, and their owners, be required to be registered.
I can live with that. I used to live in Washington DC, which had at
least thirteen registration schemes in various parts of the
metropolitan area.

(snip fascinating reading on US experiences of bike registration)

The complicated nature of the schemes you describe seems to demonstrate
the futility of such a scheme here. One of the key problems seems to be
that registration of bikes doesn't in itself actually achieve anything
(other than some statistics about bike owners).

The goal here is to reduce traffic offences by cyclists. The preferred
method is to catch offending cyclists and punish them. There are two
ways to achieve this - manually (by having police or traffic wardens out
and about catching them) or automatically (using cameras). Ken seems to
want bike registration plates so that cameras can catch bikes
automatically, but the question is, how large does a plate have to be to
be visible for this, and where are we going to put it?

I really don't think the expense of the scheme would be worth the
benefit in reduced offences, especially when it is likely to put people
off cycling. A similar argument has been waged in Australia where
helmets are mandatory in some places - such a law may put people off
cycling, which in turn may lead to higher accident rates as fewer cycles
on the road leads to a lower awareness by other road users. The
long-term health benefits of cycling are also an important
consideration, especially when more and more people are likely to suffer
from illnesses such as heart disease.

Another point mentioned in the US scenarios is that some people just
won't bother to register. The "worst" offenders are those least likely
to register and therefore stand just as little chance of being caught as
they do now.

My opinion is that a "soft" publicity-based campaign against antisocial
cycling would be far more effective. It wouldn't put people off cycling
(and could even be designed to encourage it by highlighting how you have
a lot of control over your own safety, a factor which puts many people
off cycling) and would be far more cost-effective.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Colin Rosenstiel July 30th 06 12:20 AM

Bike number plates mooted

In article . com,
() wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article . com,
(Neillw001) wrote:

Jack Taylor wrote:

[Ken's bike lunacy]

It would be totally impractical to enforce, just how many
bicycles are there in the London area that would be affected?
Anyone can buy a bicycle from anywhere without need to register
it. It would require an Act of Parliament to make it legal and
such a thing would never be passed.

Ken is talking of a Private Bill, something London has every
year. But it could well fall foul of the Parliamentary procedures
because of its effect on people outside London.

Colin, I understand what you say about impracticality of "local"
legally-enforced bike registration; i.e. it would have to be
national or nothing.

But, does Cambridge University not still have a mandatory College
resistration system for students' bicycles? I remember my number -
Q283, from all those years ago! I'm not sure what the sanction was
for failing to register and/or display one's number.

The system exists but it seems to be more use for recovering stolen
bikes than anything else. The numbers are not remotely visible on CCTV
either.

Moreover, all resident Members of the University were required to
obtain the Motor Proctor's written consent before having motor
vehicle in the City. I wonder whether that still applies.?

It seems to me that fewer students cycle these days despite motor
controls which continue as strongly as ever, now backed by the Planning
Authority and applied to ARU and private education-linked housing too.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin McKenzie July 30th 06 10:07 AM

Dave Arquati wrote:
Jeremy Parker wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Apparently, the Mayor is now in favour of bike user/vehicle
registration, and wants a private bill put through Parliament to
achieve this.

I see from the Times of Friday 28th July that Ken Livingstone is
proposing that bikes, and their owners, be required to be registered.
I can live with that.

I can't. The whole idea is completely ridiculous. But then I'm
strongly against biometric ID cards too. The issue is both cases is
the same - a desire by the state to inconvenience everyone so that law
enforcement is easier. Absolute identity is unnecessary for law
enforcement. It is only necessary to establish identity between the
offender and the defendant for each offence.

(snip fascinating reading on US experiences of bike registration)

The complicated nature of the schemes you describe seems to demonstrate
the futility of such a scheme here. One of the key problems seems to be
that registration of bikes doesn't in itself actually achieve anything
(other than some statistics about bike owners).

The goal here is to reduce traffic offences by cyclists. The preferred
method is to catch offending cyclists and punish them. There are two
ways to achieve this - manually (by having police or traffic wardens out
and about catching them) or automatically (using cameras).

All registration would achieve is diverting police effort from
enforcing real offences to enforcing compliance with registration.

Police priorities are not always well-chosen, but on the whole they
realise that red light jumping by cyclists is not worthy of as much
effort as red light jumping by motorists, for example.

Would anyone care to argue that motoring offences are at an acceptably
low level? Enforcement of speed and red lights is still treated as a
game, with a slap on the wrist if you are dozy enough not to spot a
bright yellow camera. Elsewhere, 90% of drivers treat speed limits as
advisory.

The idea would not achieve its objectives, and would dramatically
reduce cycling if enforced effectively - just like that other
half-baked anti-cycling idea, compulsory cycle helmets.

If Ken genuinely wants to reduce pavement cycling and red light
jumping by cyclists, he will:

- install Advanced Stop Lines (ASLs) for cyclists at all traffic lights
- fund National Standards cycle training for all children, all adult
cyclists who want it, and all cyclists caught committing an offence
- exempt cyclists from all one ways unless signs specifically say
otherwise
- stop councils building off-road cycle 'facilities' where the road is
perfectly OK to cycle on, or could be made so with lower traffic speeds
- employ many more traffic policeman, and give them these priorities,
in this order:
-- wrongly registered and uninsured motor vehicles
-- all forms of dangerous driving, especially where it endangers
cyclists or pedestrians
-- universal compliance with speed limits
-- use of mobile phones while driving
-- red and amber light jumping
-- violation of ASLs
-- once compliance on these is largely achieved, and only then,
they can get heavy about cyclists' offences.

This programme would achieve a more cycle-friendly road network, and
cyclists capable of using it responsibly and safely. With more
responsible cyclists, the irresponsible ones will stand out, and maybe
the media will stop the nonsense that cyclists should be criticised as
a class rather than for their own individual actions.

My opinion is that a "soft" publicity-based campaign against antisocial
cycling would be far more effective. It wouldn't put people off cycling
(and could even be designed to encourage it by highlighting how you have
a lot of control over your own safety, a factor which puts many people
off cycling) and would be far more cost-effective.

Agree totally. It is barely possible that Ken's threat is meant to be
part of this.

Colin McKenzie

--
On average in Britain, you're more likely to get a head injury walking
a mile than cycling it.

Dr John Stockton July 30th 06 02:36 PM

Bike number plates mooted

JRS: In article
, dated Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:38:00 remote, seen in
news:uk.transport.london, Colin Rosenstiel posted
:
In article . com,
(Neillw001) wrote:

Jack Taylor wrote:

[Ken's bike lunacy]

It would be totally impractical to enforce, just how many bicycles
are there in the London area that would be affected? Anyone can buy a
bicycle from anywhere without need to register it. It would require
and Act of Parliament to make it legal and such a thing would never be
passed.

Ken is talking of a Private Bill, something London has every year. But
it could well fall foul of the Parliamentary procedures because of its
effect on people outside London.

It has no effect on people outside London. It does have an effect on
outsiders who enter London, temporarily or permanently - just the same
as British law applies in Britain, Scottish Law applies ... .

If Cambridge decides also to require registration and number plates, the
Council will have to determine whether London plates are to be valid in
Cambridge, and /vice versa/. And, AIUI, according to present
regulations, Councillors with any interest in or knowledge of the
situation will be unable to participate. Does that also apply to
Mayors, for example of London?

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms

Boltar July 30th 06 04:56 PM

Bike number plates mooted

Martin Underwood wrote:
Boltar wrote in message
If you say they are then perhaps we should call push scooters and
skateboards
vehicles too? No? Why not?

As soon as a vehicle uses the road, it becomes a road vehicle for the time
that it is on the road.

Well I don't consider a bicycle a vehicle. IMO a vehicle is something
that is
self propelled. A bicycle does not fall into this category any more
than
roller skates do. If you wish to take the line that *anything* on the
road
should be licensed then I await the fun and games when pedestrians have

to hang a license plate around their necks when they cross the road and

horses have to have one tied to their tails.

Don't be an ass. A lot of people cycle because they don't drive.

And they shouldn't have points on their non-existent licence, although such
points should be held in reserve in case the person gets a licence later
(within the validity period of the points). But if they *do* have a licence,
cycling offences (on the road) should constitue endorsable points on it.

Aside from the fact that this is not going to be the slightest
deterrent to
a cyclist who has no intention of ever getting a car license all they'd
have to do would be to get a license based on a different address if
they did want to get an unendorsed license. Unless you want to link it
to NI or similar in which case its hello George Orwell.

B2003

Colin Rosenstiel July 30th 06 05:18 PM

Bike number plates mooted

In article ,
(Dr John Stockton) wrote:

JRS: In article

, dated Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:38:00 remote, seen in
news:uk.transport.london, Colin Rosenstiel
posted
:
In article . com,
(Neillw001) wrote:

Jack Taylor wrote:

[Ken's bike lunacy]

It would be totally impractical to enforce, just how many
bicycles are there in the London area that would be affected?
Anyone can buy a bicycle from anywhere without need to register it.
It would require and Act of Parliament to make it legal and such a
thing would never be passed.

Ken is talking of a Private Bill, something London has every year.
But it could well fall foul of the Parliamentary procedures
because of its effect on people outside London.

It has no effect on people outside London. It does have an effect
on outsiders who enter London, temporarily or permanently - just the
same as British law applies in Britain, Scottish Law applies ... .

Not if it's a local Private Bill. Parliament won't allow the Mayor of
London to promote such legislation affecting outsiders' rights without
their right to be heard.

If Cambridge decides also to require registration and number
plates, the Council will have to determine whether London plates are
to be valid in Cambridge, and /vice versa/. And, AIUI, according to
present regulations, Councillors with any interest in or knowledge of
the situation will be unable to participate. Does that also apply to
Mayors, for example of London?

You misunderstand the law of councillors' prejudicial interests. And
Cambridge would never be so stupid to think of going down that road, I
can assure you.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Arthur Figgis July 30th 06 06:23 PM

Bike number plates mooted

On 30 Jul 2006 09:56:58 -0700, "Boltar"
wrote:

should be licensed then I await the fun and games when pedestrians have
to hang a license plate around their necks when they cross the road and

Can you really imagine any politician suggesting that Britons should
have to carry government registration documents with them at all times
when out in public? Oh, hang on...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Arthur Figgis July 30th 06 06:31 PM

Bike number plates mooted

On 29 Jul 2006 04:08:49 -0700, "
wrote:

But, does Cambridge University not still have a mandatory College
resistration system for students' bicycles? I remember my number -
Q283, from all those years ago! I'm not sure what the sanction was for
failing to register and/or display one's number.

Yes it does (I'm told), and I've no idea what the penalty is, or even
if the situation ever arises.

In My Day, the only practical use of the numbers seemed to be for
returning stolen/lost/abandoned/homeless bikes. Most people applied
them with Tippex or similar, so this probably isn't what the Mayor had
in mind.

Someone I knew at Cambridge got sent a police(?) letter regarding a
fine for cycling without lights, and made an official declaration that
he knew nothing about it all - he reckons a foreign student we knew
who was a bit of a prat must have been stopped and then given his
name, just before going home!

Moreover, all resident Members of the University were required to
obtain the Motor Proctor's written consent before having motor vehicle
in the City. I wonder whether that still applies.?

Yes.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Paul Cummins July 30th 06 06:32 PM

Bike number plates mooted

In article ,
(Dr John Stockton) wrote:

just the same
as British law applies in Britain,

What is this "British Law" - I'm not aware of any British law.

--
Paul Cummins

**FREE** mobile phones, with FREE line rental
http://www.gstgroup.co.uk/

David Biddulph July 30th 06 07:20 PM

Bike number plates mooted

"Arthur Figgis" ] wrote in message
On 29 Jul 2006 04:08:49 -0700, "
wrote:

But, does Cambridge University not still have a mandatory College
resistration system for students' bicycles? I remember my number -
Q283, from all those years ago! I'm not sure what the sanction was for
failing to register and/or display one's number.

Yes it does (I'm told), and I've no idea what the penalty is, or even
if the situation ever arises.

In my day the fine for most offences was six shillings and eight pence.
More severe offences warranted thirteen shillings and four pence.

Moreover, all resident Members of the University were required to
obtain the Motor Proctor's written consent before having motor vehicle
in the City. I wonder whether that still applies.?

Yes.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/p...tor/index.html
and page 196 of http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/so/so_ch02.pdf
(covers motor vehicles & cycles)
--
David Biddulph

Jonathan Morris July 30th 06 07:28 PM

Bike number plates mooted

Dave Arquati wrote:
I'm sure someone will pop up to say that a cyclist almost killed them,
but the statistics just don't support this as a common thing - of the
210 pedestrians hit by cycles in the whole of 2004 in the whole of Great
Britain, 1 was killed and 42 were seriously injured [1].

With the increase in fuel costs, parking charges, the higher congestion
charge, people not wanting to use public transport (cost, safety post
7/7, heat, multiple changes etc) and higher costs of parking your car
at a rail station (so you cycle to the station, or get a folder so you
can use it at the other end too) and many other reasons, the use of
bikes has rocketed and in London it now looks like Amsterdam or
Cambridge. However, these recent bikers have no road sense at all, even
if they've come out of their car to take to two wheels. The cycle
network is a joke too, meaning you quickly come to realise it's better
(and often safer) to take to the road than use lanes that can put you
in serious danger.

It's rather worrying that many cyclists believe they are legally
allowed to go through red lights, which explains why I'd put it at
about 70-80% jumping lights in London, from crossings (where the
pedestrians would come off worse) to junctions (where cyclists will
come off worse). Going on the pavement at speed is another problem. Go
along Embankment in the morning or after 5pm to see how close some of
them come to having an accident. People can take sudden turns (e.g. a
tourist stepping back to take a photo) and no cyclist can predict that
or react in time.

I'd be interested to see what the figures are in 2005 and 2006. I doubt
many pedestrians will be killed by a cyclist, but I bet injuries will
rocket and they don't have to be life threatening (and therefore
recorded) to give some innocent victim a seriously bad day, from cuts
and bruises to other relatively minor injuries or damage to property
being carried.

More cyclists will be injured too. In areas where the vast majority
flout the law, pedestrians are quite literally hitting back. I've
witnessed three cyclists being thrown off their bikes on a pelican
crossing, and the verbal abuse towards them is increasing too. It's
only a matter of time until someone is killed (cyclist or pedestrian)
not because of a collision but because of 'bike rage'. You can also see
that the cyclists that do abide by the law seem to annoy those that
don't, if being stopped hinders their progress.

To keep on topic, a registration system isn't workable. You just need
to have more cops issuing expensive on-the-spot penalties to those that
don't care, combined with proper education to tell those who really
don't know, what the rules actually are. Maybe Ken should push for more
REAL police rather than the plastic ones that stand around without any
power to do jack s**t!

Jonathan

Jonathan Morris July 30th 06 07:35 PM

Bike number plates mooted - like Washington DC

Dave Arquati wrote:
There are two ways to enforce this - manually (by having police or traffic wardens
out and about catching them) or automatically (using cameras). Ken seems to
want bike registration plates so that cameras can catch bikes automatically

More police is the *only* answer. If you think you'll be stopped and
given an £80-100 on the spot fine, you might reconsider (if not then
you might after paying hundreds of pounds by getting done repeatedly).
CCTV would fail for so many reasons it's not even worth considering
(fake plates, unreadable plates, simply not displaying a plate because
you know there are no police officers out there to force you to, the
huge cost for what isn't perceived as a big problem).

My opinion is that a "soft" publicity-based campaign against antisocial
cycling would be far more effective.

Yes, combined with the increased number of police officers being
proactive (and obviously performing other duties at the same time).
Forget CSO's unless they're given more effective powers.

Jonathan

congokid July 30th 06 07:54 PM

Bike number plates mooted

In article , Martin
Underwood writes

police or traffic-light cameras. It's rare to see cars go through red
traffic lights (I see maybe one every couple of months)

That's odd. I used to see motorists drive through red at virtually every
junction on my commute to work from Fulham to the West End. Every day.

whereas almost every
day I see cyclists ride straight through lights as if they don't apply to
cyclists

I saw plenty of those too.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

Jonathan Morris July 30th 06 10:09 PM

Bike number plates mooted

congokid wrote:
police or traffic-light cameras. It's rare to see cars go through red
traffic lights (I see maybe one every couple of months)

That's odd. I used to see motorists drive through red at virtually every
junction on my commute to work from Fulham to the West End. Every day.

Yes, I have to say that at a junction you will see people accelerate on
amber (even though there's nobody behind them) or jump red. However,
you may get one car or perhaps two but after that, it sorts itself out.
This is why red light cameras are such a good idea, but surprisingly
rare compared to speed cameras.

When it comes to cyclists, they go through red at any time. Even if the
lights have been red for 10-20 seconds, and this is what makes it so
much more dangerous especially for pedestrians.

Cyclists will also ride the wrong way on a one way street (so a
pedestrian may not even look, although common sense says you should)
which a car would only do by mistake in 99.9% cases I'm sure. Cyclists
will also turn left/right on a straight ahead only junction, which
again puts pedestrians at risk. A car must give way to a pedestrian
when turning into a side road.. you try crossing if a bike is coming
your way (at best you'll be called a blind c**t, at worst they'll try
and clip you).

So, while a car jumping lights may well be far more dangerous IF they
hit you, I think on the whole it's the cyclist that is more likely to
come into contact with a pedestrian. You can usually tell if a car
isn't going to stop, while a cyclist will often slow but then go ahead
anyway. If a car is braking (i.e. the car is dipping) I'd say it's
unheard of for them to suddenly accelerate through you as a bike
would/does.

For anyone not clear, I am talking about London (inner and outer) and
hope it isn't like this throughout the UK. If it is, god help us all
and how did we allow it to get like this?

Jonathan

Arthur Figgis July 30th 06 10:09 PM

Bike number plates mooted

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 20:20:27 +0100, "David Biddulph"
wrote:

"Arthur Figgis" ] wrote in message
.. .
On 29 Jul 2006 04:08:49 -0700, "
wrote:

But, does Cambridge University not still have a mandatory College
resistration system for students' bicycles? I remember my number -
Q283, from all those years ago! I'm not sure what the sanction was for
failing to register and/or display one's number.

Yes it does (I'm told), and I've no idea what the penalty is, or even
if the situation ever arises.

In my day the fine for most offences was six shillings and eight pence.
More severe offences warranted thirteen shillings and four pence.

It probably still is!

A sign once went up warning us of a GBP25 fine for removing books from
the college library without signing them out. Someone (*cough*) wrote
"But how will you know?" on the bottom. The next day someone else had
added "That's not the point, you moral reprobate". (Quite a few of us
spotted that it was cheaper to pay 3-4 years of weekly overdue book
fines than actually buy the books)

FWIW, when I put the radio on tonight I got the tail end of something
about a student last century who noticed that while he wasn't allowed
a car in the city, the rules said nothing about aeroplanes.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Jonathan Morris July 30th 06 10:44 PM

Colin McKenzie wrote:
Would anyone care to argue that motoring offences are at an acceptably
low level? Enforcement of speed and red lights is still treated as a
game, with a slap on the wrist if you are dozy enough not to spot a
bright yellow camera. Elsewhere, 90% of drivers treat speed limits as
advisory.

The speed argument is silly though. It's been turned into a major issue
because there's technology on the cheap to enforce it; in fact, there's
cheap technology that makes it profitable to enforce it. It fails to
recognise that speed is a minor cause of accidents, even if it /can/
have a more serious effect when one happens. It fails to catch those
who are not qualified to drive, drunk, under the influence of drugs, on
their phone, not up to standard etc. Real police enforce these things,
but are rapidly disappearing in favour of cameras on the one hand, and
CSOs on the other.

I've just driven from England to Sweden, via France, Belgium, Holland,
Germany and Denmark. Most countries now have a speed limit of 130kph,
with Germany having their infamous autobahns that carry 1/3rd of all
traffic, yet have just 6% of all accidents. Most roads are just two
lanes, yet it's quite easy to do 120-130kph or even a GPS-verified
202kph (in a diesel Mondeo!) on the open stretches. It's totally legal,
and amazingly the only complaints in Germany are down to the
environmental cost, not the brainwashed message we have that 'speed
kills'. If I did 125mph in the UK, I'd be considered to be on the same
level as Saddam Hussein. Do it in Germany, and the most hassle I'll get
is having to pull in to allow a Porsche through wanting to do 300kph!

Even Sweden with 'vision zero' is experimenting with an increased limit
to 130kph from 110kph! I saw one potential road rage incident in
Germany, but otherwise motorists are far more tolerant than a British
motorist will ever be.

The problem in the UK is the quality of driving which seems to be
terrible and getting worse (even though new drivers have a far more
thorough test than we ever did). Speeding can be enforced easily, but
the policy in the last 10 years of reducing many limits from 70 to 50
(supplemented by cameras) isn't working. Fatalities have remained
almost constant (give or take 100 here and there) suggesting speed
cameras aren't working either. In fact, it seems to prove only how many
people must be speeding and on the fact that most people speeding
aren't killing anyone!

Jonathan

Colin McKenzie July 30th 06 11:14 PM

Jonathan Morris wrote:
Colin McKenzie wrote:
Would anyone care to argue that motoring offences are at an acceptably
low level? Enforcement of speed and red lights is still treated as a
game, with a slap on the wrist if you are dozy enough not to spot a
bright yellow camera. Elsewhere, 90% of drivers treat speed limits as
advisory.

The speed argument is silly though. It's been turned into a major issue
because there's technology on the cheap to enforce it; in fact, there's
cheap technology that makes it profitable to enforce it. It fails to
recognise that speed is a minor cause of accidents, even if it /can/
have a more serious effect when one happens.

No, it is important, in producing a more cycle-friendly and
pedestrian-friendly road system. A couple of illustrations.

An elderly pedestrian wants to cross a road where sightlines are not
too good. She starts crossing when no traffic is in sight. The faster
the traffic, the more likely it is that a motor vehicle will arrive
before she finishes crossing.

A cyclist at 15mph is approached from behind by a car. The road isn't
wide enough to overtake safely, though there's just room to squeeze
past. If the car is going at 40 mph, the closing speed is double what
it is at 27.5. The driver at 40 has to think twice as fast, and slow
down twice as much to wait for a safe place to overtake. Which do you
think is more likely to barge past anyway, and which will be more
frightening when it does?

It fails to catch those
who are not qualified to drive, drunk, under the influence of drugs, on
their phone, not up to standard etc. Real police enforce these things,
but are rapidly disappearing in favour of cameras on the one hand, and
CSOs on the other.

Of course. See my other points.

The problem in the UK is the quality of driving which seems to be
terrible and getting worse (even though new drivers have a far more
thorough test than we ever did). Speeding can be enforced easily, but
the policy in the last 10 years of reducing many limits from 70 to 50
(supplemented by cameras) isn't working. Fatalities have remained
almost constant (give or take 100 here and there) suggesting speed
cameras aren't working either. In fact, it seems to prove only how many
people must be speeding and on the fact that most people speeding
aren't killing anyone!

You have a point, but the issue is complicated and a lot of things are
going on. Speed cameras and lower limits on dual carriageways do
reduce speeds where they are used - but the limits are still above the
level at which pedestrians are likely to die in collisions.

Another factor not often mentioned is airbags - a rarity 10 years ago,
now in most cars. Where are the lives these have saved?

In both cases, interventions that should save lives are apparently not
affecting overall fatalities. So are they pointless, or would we be
worse off without them? Don't forget that traffic levels continue to
rise - maybe per journey safety is improving at the same rate.

In general drivers compensate for safety improvements by taking more
risks. Over time, this appears to have transferred risk from users of
enclosed vehicles to pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists.

Colin McKenzie

Colin Rosenstiel July 30th 06 11:47 PM

Bike number plates mooted

In article .com,
(Jonathan Morris) wrote:

The cycle network is a joke too, meaning you quickly come to realise
it's better (and often safer) to take to the road than use lanes that
can put you in serious danger.

As someone who bikes in Cambridge and London, London is well provided
with bike facilities and in some areas much better provided with
alternatives away from main roads which Cambridge just doesn't have.

What is noticeable is that London hasn't caught on to various devices
which are common in Cambridge. For example we have few one-way streets,
just streets with No Entry restrictions at one end which allow cycling
in both directions.

The biggest problem with that is where there isn't room for a cycle slip
lane bypassing a No Entry sign and No Motor Vehicles (low flying
motorcycles) signs have to be used instead. Almost every motorist seems
to believe that all such signs have "Except for Access" plates attached
even when they don't and they also believe that the exception always
includes them.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin Rosenstiel July 30th 06 11:47 PM

Bike number plates mooted

In article ,
(congokid) wrote:

In article ,
Martin Underwood writes

police or traffic-light cameras. It's rare to see cars go through
red traffic lights (I see maybe one every couple of months)

That's odd. I used to see motorists drive through red at virtually
every junction on my commute to work from Fulham to the West End.
Every day.

Try the lights on Parliament Square. I set off when my lights change to
green. There are still vehicles coming out of Broad Sanctuary every time.

whereas almost every
day I see cyclists ride straight through lights as if they don't
apply to cyclists

I saw plenty of those too.

WHS.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin Rosenstiel July 30th 06 11:47 PM

Bike number plates mooted

In article ,
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

Moreover, all resident Members of the University were required to
obtain the Motor Proctor's written consent before having motor
vehicle in the City. I wonder whether that still applies.?

It seems to me that fewer students cycle these days despite motor
controls which continue as strongly as ever, now backed by the
Planning Authority and applied to ARU and private education-linked
housing too.

The other change nowadays seems to be that the Motor Proctor seems to
have lost his former responsibilities for aircraft.

--
Colin Rosenstiel