Old August 11th 06, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default DLR track gauge

In article ,
R.C. Payne wrote:
Andrew Robert Breen wrote:

See above. OTOH, no-one has started building a new network from scratch
at less than standard gauge for a long time: not since Big Mistake One,
IIRC.

How about the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch railway? They do serve a real
public transport purpose as well as touristy stuff (I assume the school
trains still run).

True, but t'aint really what you'd call a network. It's not as if there's
through running from the RH&D to other lines, for example.

Nearest we got was probably the plans for 2'-ish lines immediately after
WW1, using war-surplus rails and stock. There were some ambitious schemes
planned in the Highlands, for example (the Argyllshire Railway proposals:
Campbelton to Oban and Arrochar on 2'3", using ex-WD stock. The mind
boggles), and the Welsh Highland actually got built. Of course, all of
these ideas ignored all the ex-WD trucks coming onto the market, the
expansion and development of the motor industry driven by the war and
the large number of men coming back from war service who'd been trained
to drive and maintain road vehicles. The fate of the WHR was ample
proof of this misconception..

--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Feng Shui: an ancient oriental art for extracting

Old August 11th 06, 07:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Arthur Figgis wrote:
A question I was strugging with a while ago, which uk.railway might
know the answer to: does Dublin have a tram *network*? They have two
disconnected lines

A-B

but would the two lines have to be joined to constitute a network? The
mathematical types I know weren't sure.

network
n.
Old August 13th 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article , Arthur Figgis
] writes
but would the two lines have to be joined to constitute a network? The
mathematical types I know weren't sure.

From my rather rusty memory, it depends entirely on context. Some
theorems on networks require them to be connected (i.e. ignoring
directional arrows, there must be a path between any two points in the
network) while others don't.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old August 14th 06, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

In article , Arthur Figgis
] writes
but would the two lines have to be joined to constitute a network? The
mathematical types I know weren't sure.

From my rather rusty memory, it depends entirely on context. Some
theorems on networks require them to be connected (i.e. ignoring
directional arrows, there must be a path between any two points in the
network) while others don't.

From a completely non-mathematical POV the Dublin tram system could be

a considered a network as it is operated by the same organisation, and
(pls excuse my ignorance) I presume to some extent the two lines share
staff (drivers, PW and rolling stock engineers/mechanics), other
facilities (such as maintenece kit and depots), a ticketing system etc
etc

So thare other elements in the system that are interconnected although
the track is not.