Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 31st 03, 07:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Pavement cycling

I used to wonder why the subject of cyclists on our roads raised such strong
emotions. I've been cycling to work myself for the past 10 years, in all but
the most inclement weather.

Certainly there are quite a few that break the rules and it irritates many
including myself. Sometimes I've had good reason to offer a driver a piece
of my mind, if I managed to catch up of course. The usual scenario is the
overtaking and left turn manouver that fails to take account of a cyclists
presence.

I used to think the cyclist had a bit of a raw deal, now I'm not so sure.

What's really getting to me recently is the incredibly self righteous
prowling our pavements. I had a run in with one last night who came hurtling
toward a group waiting at a bus stop. Accusing one man of "trying to be
macho" for not getting out of his way, he then offered his opinions on "all
of us driving our cars and polluting the air" in spite of the fact that we
were obviously waiting for a bus. Not letting this pass without comment,
myself and another would be bus passenger were offered the opportunity for
mortal combat with this shaven headed screamer. He would never understand
why I declined, in spite of being equally fit and about 30% larger.

The place of course was none other than Britain's favourite street,
Streatham High Road.

What worries me most about this is that it's reached the point that this is
considered normal behaviour and a whole generation have come to understand
that no-one wants to enforce the law, or even that such laws exist in the
first place.

In the absence of law, perhaps our Mayor should be tackling this as a vermin
issue, he's quite upstanding when it comes to pidgeons I hear.

Jeff Mowatt