Old April 29th 04, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL cycling (on-yer-bike posters) spot-the-problem quiz

TfL are currently publicising a load of cycling route guides on
various tube stations posters / newspaper adverts etc. You may have
seen one with a cyclist with motion blur cycling past a pie and mash
shop.

Now if you next see that advert, see if you can spot what's wrong
with the picture. There's something that's just not right with it,
especially given who is promoting these cycling guides.

I'll post the answer on this newsgroup later.

--
Simon Hewison

Old April 29th 04, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Simon Hewison wrote:

TfL are currently publicising a load of cycling route guides on
various tube stations posters / newspaper adverts etc. You may have
seen one with a cyclist with motion blur cycling past a pie and mash
shop.

Now if you next see that advert, see if you can spot what's wrong
with the picture. There's something that's just not right with it,
especially given who is promoting these cycling guides.

I'll post the answer on this newsgroup later.

The cyclist is riding on the wrong side of the road?
Old April 29th 04, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Simon Hewison wrote the following in:

TfL are currently publicising a load of cycling route guides on
various tube stations posters / newspaper adverts etc. You may have
seen one with a cyclist with motion blur cycling past a pie and mash
shop.

Now if you next see that advert, see if you can spot what's wrong
with the picture. There's something that's just not right with it,
especially given who is promoting these cycling guides.

Cycling on the pavement? Pie shop isn't in London?

--
message by Robin May, but I would say that, wouldn't I?

"You MUST NOT drive dangerously" - the Highway Code
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.
Old April 29th 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2004-04-29, Dan Gravell wrote:
Simon Hewison wrote:

TfL are currently publicising a load of cycling route guides on
various tube stations posters / newspaper adverts etc. You may have
seen one with a cyclist with motion blur cycling past a pie and mash
shop.

Now if you next see that advert, see if you can spot what's wrong
with the picture. There's something that's just not right with it,
especially given who is promoting these cycling guides.

I'll post the answer on this newsgroup later.

The cyclist is riding on the wrong side of the road?

Correct. The cyclist is riding from right to left, with the bike wheels
almost in the gutter, next to the pavement, therefore they're on the wrong
side. Surely TfL should be promoting safe cycling, not cycling like the
idiot on the poster.

--
Simon Hewison
Old April 29th 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Simon Hewison wrote:

Correct. The cyclist is riding from right to left, with the bike wheels
almost in the gutter, next to the pavement, therefore they're on the wrong
side. Surely TfL should be promoting safe cycling, not cycling like the
idiot on the poster.

ahem you replied to the wrong person

One way road? Just before a right hand turn?

My fists are white from the straws I'm grasping.

Old April 29th 04, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2004-04-29, Dan Gravell wrote:
Simon Hewison wrote:

TfL are currently publicising a load of cycling route guides on
various tube stations posters / newspaper adverts etc. You may have
seen one with a cyclist with motion blur cycling past a pie and mash
shop.

Now if you next see that advert, see if you can spot what's wrong
with the picture. There's something that's just not right with it,
especially given who is promoting these cycling guides.

I'll post the answer on this newsgroup later.

The cyclist is riding on the wrong side of the road?

Correct. The cyclist is riding from right to left, with the bike
wheels almost in the gutter, next to the pavement, therefore they're
on the wrong side. Surely TfL should be promoting safe cycling, not
cycling like the idiot on the poster.

Is the scene in a one way street?

Old April 29th 04, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dan Gravell wrote:

ahem you replied to the wrong person

Apologies - appears my newsreader threading was wrong the first time (it
is v0.5 still ) or my sight is worse than I thought...
Old April 29th 04, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2004-04-29, Brimstone wrote:
Is the scene in a one way street?

Extra points if you can name the street and whether or not it is
actually a one-way street.
Old April 29th 04, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Simon Hewison" wrote in message
TfL are currently publicising a load of cycling route guides on
various tube stations posters / newspaper adverts etc. You may have
seen one with a cyclist with motion blur cycling past a pie and mash
shop.

Now if you next see that advert, see if you can spot what's wrong
with the picture. There's something that's just not right with it,
especially given who is promoting these cycling guides.

I'll post the answer on this newsgroup later.

Is it that they took the picture then decided to reflect it as it 'looked
better'? Or that its not even in the UK.

Jaime

Old April 29th 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:20:43 +0100, jaime
wrote in :

"Simon Hewison" wrote in message
TfL are currently publicising a load of cycling route guides on
various tube stations posters / newspaper adverts etc. You may have
seen one with a cyclist with motion blur cycling past a pie and mash
shop.

Now if you next see that advert, see if you can spot what's wrong
with the picture. There's something that's just not right with it,
especially given who is promoting these cycling guides.

I'll post the answer on this newsgroup later.

Is it that they took the picture then decided to reflect it as it 'looked
better'? Or that its not even in the UK.

The shop sign is readable -- see a small version at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/cyclin...leguides.shtml
so it's not flipped. May be a composite.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN