Old August 10th 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail gains another station

This time it's Maryland - CLRL held discussions with LB Newham earlier
in the year, and have now decided that Crossrail trains can serve
Maryland with selective door opening (I imagine that this means the
front 8 carriages only).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old August 10th 06, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:

This time it's Maryland - CLRL held discussions with LB Newham earlier
in the year, and have now decided that Crossrail trains can serve
Maryland with selective door opening (I imagine that this means the
front 8 carriages only).

Great, that'll make it easy to get to Chesapeake Bay...

Naff jokes aside, that's good news. Plus, given that the plan was for
some extra non-Crossrail local trains which were going to stop at
Maryland whilst sharing the Great Eastern slow line with Crossrail (and
terminate or start from Liverpool Street proper), there was the
potential operational issue of Crossrail trains getting backed up
behind these extra trains whilst they stopped at Maryland. That won't
be an issue now.

So - the 20 billion pound sterling question Mr Arquati - do you think
this railway line will ever get built, and if so when? I know the
Crossrail Bill is making progress, but someone needs to get their
wallet out and agree to pay for it.

(I forsee civil servants concocting various horrible potential PPP/PFI
arrangements!).

Old August 10th 06, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

[...]

My not-yet-professional feeling is "yes, but...". It'll get built if
someone can arrange some sort of land value capture to pay for it (a
tool which, AIUI, could have paid for much of the Jubilee line
extension). There was a proposed business levy, but that would only have
paid for a small chunk of the total bill.

Some of the professors from my department are much more sceptical about
it even being built, and it's hard to blame them...

I certainly don't see work starting on it before the Olympics, so I'd go
for a 2018 (optimistic!) ETA...

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 10th 06, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Aug 2006 07:41:53 -0700, "Mizter T" wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote:

[...]

My name is not Arquati but I have severe doubts about the scheme. If we
can get round to financing and constructing the rest of Thameslink 3500
then I might feel a bit more confident that there might be a commitment
in government to finance Crossrail. However I'm not sure that Network
Rail could take on the debt to finance Thameslink 3500 or that
government is particularly interested in it. The fact Ken supports both
schemes seems not to carry too much weight but then these are big, long
term schemes which the government will not earn any kudos for while
ELLX, DLR and CTRL trains from Kent might just earn them a fanfare.

I remain unconvinced that Crossrail is correctly structured, serves the
right places or has an attractive service pattern given the imbalance
between west and east and the branch via Docklands. Still we've done
that to death on this newsgroup.
--
Paul C

Old August 10th 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

On 10 Aug 2006 07:41:53 -0700, "Mizter T" wrote:

(snip)

So - the 20 billion pound sterling question Mr Arquati - do you think
this railway line will ever get built, and if so when? I know the
Crossrail Bill is making progress, but someone needs to get their
wallet out and agree to pay for it.

My name is not Arquati but I have severe doubts about the scheme. If we
can get round to financing and constructing the rest of Thameslink 3500
then I might feel a bit more confident that there might be a commitment
in government to finance Crossrail. However I'm not sure that Network
Rail could take on the debt to finance Thameslink 3500 or that
government is particularly interested in it. The fact Ken supports both
schemes seems not to carry too much weight but then these are big, long
term schemes which the government will not earn any kudos for while
ELLX, DLR and CTRL trains from Kent might just earn them a fanfare.

But of course a contribution from Mr Corfield is just as welcome, as it
is from anyone else - I'm not trying to create a utl clique (especially
as if I managed to I'd be the first one to be booted out from it!).
Your point with regards to the failure of Thameslink 3500 (ho ho!) to
materialise is a strong one - if that still hasn't happened, then why
should Crossrail. Of course (and this comment isn't meant to be
facetious) Crossrail doesn't have the listed roof of Borough Market in
its way.

I remain unconvinced that Crossrail is correctly structured, serves the
right places or has an attractive service pattern given the imbalance
between west and east and the branch via Docklands. Still we've done
that to death on this newsgroup.

My ears have only just started twitching with regards to Crossrail -
until recently it was something that I largely let wash-over me - in
part because so many have dounts about it. I'll have to go back and
read a few of those exchanges via Google Groups.

Old August 11th 06, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:

This time it's Maryland - CLRL held discussions with LB Newham earlier in
the year, and have now decided that Crossrail trains can serve Maryland
with selective door opening (I imagine that this means the front 8
carriages only).

I vaguely recall plans for a second entrance and bridge at the west end of
the Forest Gate platforms, intended to help take the strain - was this
planned and if so will it still happen?

(It would have been very useful the other morning when all the screens and
announcements told passengers that the first Liverpool Street train would
depart from platform three. Cue everyone going there and walking to the west
end of it so as to be at the right point for Liverpool Street. Then the
first they find out that their train is actually running from platform 1 is
when it pulls in. Cue twenty passengers walking across the line to catch
their train!)

Old August 11th 06, 04:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

This time it's Maryland - CLRL held discussions with LB Newham earlier in
the year, and have now decided that Crossrail trains can serve Maryland
with selective door opening (I imagine that this means the front 8
carriages only).

I vaguely recall plans for a second entrance and bridge at the west end of
the Forest Gate platforms, intended to help take the strain - was this
planned and if so will it still happen?

There's no such entrance in the current plans; the only mitigation was
the 6tph non-Crossrail stoppers running from Liverpool St to Shenfield
and able to call at Maryland.