London Banter

-   -   Bus numbering (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4386-bus-numbering.html)

Tristan Miller August 15th 06 02:07 AM

Bus numbering

Greetings.

Is there any scheme to how London bus routes are numbered?

Regards,
Tristan

--
_
_V.-o Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)] Space is limited

Orienteer August 15th 06 06:21 PM

Bus numbering

There used to be, but no longer!

Central bus routes were 1 - 199, single deck routes 200-299, country buses
north of the Thames 300-399, south 400-499, trolleybuses 500-699, Greenline
routes 700 - 799.

Iain August 15th 06 07:04 PM

Bus numbering

"Orienteer" wrote in
k:

There used to be, but no longer!

Central bus routes were 1 - 199, single deck routes 200-299, country
buses north of the Thames 300-399, south 400-499, trolleybuses
500-699, Greenline routes 700 - 799.

What about the W-prefixed buses? I've variously heard that the W stands
for Walthamstow, Woodford, and even West (which seems unlikely seeing as
they're mostly based around northeast London).

Is there any official reason why (a) the W prefix was brought in, and
(b) why they still use it?

Iain

Stu August 15th 06 07:47 PM

Bus numbering

Iain wrote:
"Orienteer" wrote in
k:

There used to be, but no longer!

Central bus routes were 1 - 199, single deck routes 200-299, country
buses north of the Thames 300-399, south 400-499, trolleybuses
500-699, Greenline routes 700 - 799.

What about the W-prefixed buses? I've variously heard that the W stands
for Walthamstow, Woodford, and even West (which seems unlikely seeing as
they're mostly based around northeast London).

Is there any official reason why (a) the W prefix was brought in, and
(b) why they still use it?

Iain

a) Think it is based on the bus garage, so you get U buses around
Uxbridge and H buses around Hounslow.

b) Why not?

Have a look at http://www.londonbusroutes.net/routes.htm

Stu

Helen Deborah Vecht August 15th 06 08:50 PM

Bus numbering

"Stu" typed

a) Think it is based on the bus garage, so you get U buses around
Uxbridge and H buses around Hounslow.

H buses are round Hampstead Garden Suburb and Harrow too.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Dave Arquati August 15th 06 09:00 PM

Bus numbering

Stu wrote:
Iain wrote:
"Orienteer" wrote in
k:

There used to be, but no longer!

Central bus routes were 1 - 199, single deck routes 200-299, country
buses north of the Thames 300-399, south 400-499, trolleybuses
500-699, Greenline routes 700 - 799.

What about the W-prefixed buses? I've variously heard that the W stands
for Walthamstow, Woodford, and even West (which seems unlikely seeing as
they're mostly based around northeast London).

Is there any official reason why (a) the W prefix was brought in, and
(b) why they still use it?

Iain

a) Think it is based on the bus garage, so you get U buses around
Uxbridge and H buses around Hounslow.

There's also H around Harrow and Hampstead, and E for Ealing, C for
Chelsea-ish, P for Peckham, K for Kingston, D for Docklands, B for
Bexleyheath, R for Orrrrpington or Richmond, S for Sutton or Stratford
etc...

It might make the routes easier to identify in places like Ealing, where
there are quite a lot of these E-routes; whenever you're outside Ealing,
you know that E-routes go there. That doesn't really work for some of
the others though (like C).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

asdf August 15th 06 10:16 PM

Bus numbering

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:00:23 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

It might make the routes easier to identify in places like Ealing, where
there are quite a lot of these E-routes; whenever you're outside Ealing,
you know that E-routes go there. That doesn't really work for some of
the others though (like C).

Not all the E-routes go to Ealing Broadway though (or even
particularly near it).

elyob August 15th 06 11:12 PM

Bus numbering

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Stu" typed

a) Think it is based on the bus garage, so you get U buses around
Uxbridge and H buses around Hounslow.

H buses are round Hampstead Garden Suburb and Harrow too.

Helen, I've always wondered. How do you pronounce your surname? Is it as it
looks? I think "Vekt". The "ch" is probably different .. i.e. soft c .. etc

Nut I never was good at linguistics ... or spelling.

MIG August 15th 06 11:22 PM

Bus numbering

Iain wrote:
"Orienteer" wrote in
k:

There used to be, but no longer!

Central bus routes were 1 - 199, single deck routes 200-299, country
buses north of the Thames 300-399, south 400-499, trolleybuses
500-699, Greenline routes 700 - 799.

What about the W-prefixed buses? I've variously heard that the W stands
for Walthamstow, Woodford, and even West (which seems unlikely seeing as
they're mostly based around northeast London).

Is there any official reason why (a) the W prefix was brought in, and
(b) why they still use it?

Iain

I am sure that there hasn't been a W based on Woodford, at least for
many decades. I think there were two versions of W relatively
recently. Mainly it was routes around, and based at, Wood Green.
There was one W route based in Walthamstow, which was the W21 circular
route, but this was replaced by the 212 and various kinds of 97 around
1979ish I think.

MIG August 15th 06 11:25 PM

Bus numbering

Dave Arquati wrote:

[...]