London Banter

-   -   Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/4388-not-being-let-off-bus.html)

kytelly August 15th 06 09:54 AM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

Ok last saturday my friend and I hopped on a bendy bus outside
Selfridges to go a few stops down Oxford Street to Poland street (She
had a bad leg we're not just lazy!)

However when we got to Oxford circus the rest of the street was blocked
off and the bus was sent on a diversion down Regent street. Fine we
thought we'll get off at the next stop. However three stops later and
no sign of the bus stopping my friend started getting very anxious
(This is when I found out she was a bit claustrophobic) Anyway she
asked the driver if we could get off at the next stop but he refused
saying he wasnt allowed to stop at any stop on the diversion. She was
then joined by heavily pregnant woman who also needed to get off but
still the driver said he couldnt let anyone off and he said he had
disabled the emergancy door releases.

After a lot more harranging he eventually opened the doors on
Shaftsbury Avenue about twenty minutes after the diversion had started.

Now I know drivers cant let people off anywhere other than the official
stops but surely thats not applicable where a bus is on diversion?
Basically we were forced to stay on the bus againest our will for
twenty minutes as it had got caught up in the regent st traffic.

I got off the bus feeling very self rightous but what are peoples
thoughts on this?

Dave Arquati August 15th 06 11:50 AM

kytelly wrote:
[...]

Each diversion seems to have its own rules. I've also got stuck on a bus
using that diversion, which is frustrating when you're sitting in
traffic and realise that you could have walked past the diversion more
quickly.

Other times, drivers *are* allowed to serve stops on diversion; this
happened with the Battersea Bridge closure when some 49s were diverted
via Wandsworth Bridge, and when Broad Sanctuary in Westminster was
closed for roadworks and buses were diverted along Artillery Road.

My guess at the reasoning behind this is that on central London streets
with a lot of bus services and multiple stops per location, the
confusion in dropping off and picking up passengers can compound traffic
congestion and cause further delays to undiverted buses.

The driver was right to say he couldn't let you off because those were
the direction he had been given by TfL via his bus company. However, I'm
not sure about disabling the emergency door releases - that sounds a bit
drastic (because what if there were an emergency...?).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Joe Patrick August 15th 06 12:01 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

The driver was right to say he couldn't let you off because those were
the direction he had been given by TfL via his bus company. However, I'm
not sure about disabling the emergency door releases - that sounds a bit
drastic (because what if there were an emergency...?).

Is it actually possible - not only does such a button actually exist,
but even if it does, can he/she *legally* do it?
--
The presence of this signature shows that this message has been scanned
for misplaced apostrophes by the common sense scanner. However, some

MIG August 15th 06 12:17 PM

Dave Arquati wrote:
kytelly wrote:
[...]

I was in a suburb where a diversion took the buses down the parallel
main road to the usual one. My home was between the two main roads
(both of which had bus routes) so being let off in either main road
would do.

But I was forced all the way to the end of the diversion. This was not
a busy central London situation with lots of confused tourists, it was
just people with heavy shopping being abducted to somewhere difficult
to get home from.

Not very helpful or considerate. But it's all a bit academic now,
since the policy seems to be not to let people on or off at all, in the
interests of reliability.

Adrian August 15th 06 12:20 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

Dave Arquati ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

[...]

Ah, if only there was such a thing as a bus with an open platform you could
just hop on and off as required...

Neil Williams August 15th 06 12:30 PM

Joe Patrick wrote:

Is it actually possible - not only does such a button actually exist,

No, but (assuming it wasn't a bendy, where I believe the releases
aren't just another door button but actually unlock something) the
driver could sit there and keep pressing the close button. I've seen
this done to stop kids getting on after messing with the release button
on the outside.

Neil

Paul Corfield August 15th 06 12:44 PM

On 15 Aug 2006 02:54:55 -0700, "kytelly" wrote:

[...]

I have been held hostage on one of my local routes (run by Arriva) when
a diversion was in place. I was absolutely furious because I had done
what the official London Buses posters had told me to - get off the tube
one stop early and catch a diverted bus.

I immediately rang London Buses, once I was released from my mobile
prison, to complain. The LB representative called Arriva Buses and had a
radio instruction issued to remind drivers of the ruling. On planned
diversions - as yours was because it was advertised on the TfL website
in advance - then drivers MUST stop at all stops. The driver in your
case was wrong. When an unplanned diversion arises - e.g. police close
the road - then drivers do not have to stop at all stops on the
diversion but most will be sensible if people wish to alight to continue
their journeys on foot.

I also wrote to Arriva to ask about how they disseminated information
about diversions to their drivers as it was evident that Arriva had not
done what they were supposed to do while First and Stagecoach buses that
were diverted did stop when requested to do so.

I suggest you complain immediately to London Buses Customer Services.
Given the large volume of planned diversions on bus and tube services at
weekends it is essential that the rules are followed properly at all
times otherwise the transport service will descend into more chaos.
--
Paul C

Peter Frimberley August 15th 06 12:45 PM

[...]

I'd be dropping a strongly worded email to TfL with the bus route
number and journey plate number. The *very least* the driver should
have done is made an announcement at the last stop that was on the
normal route, that the bus was about to divert and passengers would
not be able to get off on the diversion. All the bendy buses have the
facility for the driver to make an amplified announcement.

If I had been abducted in the way you describe with no warning
announcement, the emergency exit button would definitely have been
tested at the next traffic lights. I don't believe it can be disabled
but if it was just pull the door anyway or get some bloke to do it,
they're not that strongly closed that you cannot force them open.

Mizter T August 15th 06 01:04 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

Paul Corfield wrote:

(OP snipped)

[...]

Thanks for the info - I've always been a bit confused about what
happens during bus diversions, it always seemed a bit random (to me)
whether the bus stops or not. Now I know that buses on planned
diversions should stop at intermediate bus stops on request.

It'd be great if drivers could give an announcement over the PA system
- if available - before a diversion occurs. I've found myself on number
12's going south the two past weekends which have had a short diversion
over Lambeth Bridge instead of Waterloo Bridge (closed for roadworks
southbound only). A wave of confusion sweeps across the bus when this
happens (it's interesting to watch people's faces!) and I find myself
explaining to nearby fellow passengers that it's just a diversion. I
guess the fact they might be mildly intoxicated doesn't necessarily
help!

I also find that in a traffic jam or during a diversion a driver will
often open the front door for you if you ask politely and - crucially -
only ask when it is safe and sensible for someone to jump out the front
i.e. the traffic jam isn't about to start moving, the lights aren't
about to go green, the bus is fairly near the kerb, there isn't a
plethora of bicyclists/motorcyclists coming up on the inside etc. I
guess it also helps that I look like I will jump out quickly rather
than take loads of time getting out the door.

John Rowland August 15th 06 01:20 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

kytelly wrote:

the driver said he had disabled the emergancy door releases.

That has to be illegal! If he'd had a heart attack, how would anyone have
got off?

Mizter T August 15th 06 01:22 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

Peter Frimberley wrote:

(OP snipped)

I'd be dropping a strongly worded email to TfL with the bus route
number and journey plate number. The *very least* the driver should
have done is made an announcement at the last stop that was on the
normal route, that the bus was about to divert and passengers would
not be able to get off on the diversion. All the bendy buses have the
facility for the driver to make an amplified announcement.

If I had been abducted in the way you describe with no warning
announcement, the emergency exit button would definitely have been
tested at the next traffic lights. I don't believe it can be disabled
but if it was just pull the door anyway or get some bloke to do it,
they're not that strongly closed that you cannot force them open.

Bear in mind that the bus driver is responsible in part for your safety
whilst you're on their bus - they are not purposefully acting in a
malicious manner. But yes I quite agree that an announcement before the
diversion should be the standard modus operandi.

Emerency exit buttons cannot be disabled, but as a poster has pointed
out elsewhere they can be counter-acted by the driver pressing and
holding the close button. I've seen shady characters use them on
multiple occasions to get off the bus. One should bear in mind that
using the emergency exit button will be against the rules so you could
conceivably end up in trouble for using it in a non-emergency.

In addidition there is a potential safety issue of whether you, or more
importantly anyone else (who're either following you out or are just in
the vicinity of the door and fall out) suffers an injury, either
because the bus is moving, or nearby traffic is moving. In a situation
where someone is feeling angry and self-righteous they might not
necessarily take proper account of the whole situation. I have visions
of fellow passengers following a seemingly respectable gentleman or
lady (the respectability seemingly adding legitimacy to the use of the
emergency exit button) and ending up getting run over by a motorbike.

Paul Weaver August 15th 06 01:34 PM

Adrian wrote:
Ah, if only there was such a thing as a bus with an open platform you could
just hop on and off as required...

Perhaps a bus with a smaller turning circle than the current buses,
enabling them to move quickly arround the narrow London streets without
causing major blockages to multiple lanes, and in the case of bendy
buses, and even the normal ones.

Perhaps you could somehow segregate the driver from passangers, as in
trains, allowing the driver to concentrate fully on the road instead of
checking tickets? Maybe a guard could be employed, as on trains, to
check and sell tickets, and assist passangers (which the driver can't
do)?

If you can't afford a guard on every bus, have a "buy before boarding"
policy, and enforce with RPIs like on the trains and bendy buses that
we have.

does anyone know of a bus that would fill those requirements?

kytelly August 15th 06 02:00 PM

John Rowland wrote:
kytelly wrote:

the driver said he had disabled the emergancy door releases.

That has to be illegal! If he'd had a heart attack, how would anyone have
got off?

Well this is what he said; maybe he had overridden it by imediately
pressing the close button.

kytelly August 15th 06 02:03 PM

Neil Williams wrote:
Joe Patrick wrote:

Is it actually possible - not only does such a button actually exist,

No, but (assuming it wasn't a bendy, where I believe the releases
aren't just another door button but actually unlock something) the
driver could sit there and keep pressing the close button.

It was a bendy. Does anyone know if they can be turned off then or if
the driver was talking through his hat?

kytelly August 15th 06 02:06 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

I immediately rang London Buses, once I was released from my mobile
prison, to complain. The LB representative called Arriva Buses and had a
radio instruction issued to remind drivers of the ruling. On planned
diversions - as yours was because it was advertised on the TfL website
in advance - then drivers MUST stop at all stops. The driver in your
case was wrong. When an unplanned diversion arises - e.g. police close
the road - then drivers do not have to stop at all stops on the
diversion but most will be sensible if people wish to alight to continue
their journeys on foot.

Thanks for this Paul; I had assumed this was the case.

Jack Taylor August 15th 06 02:20 PM

Paul Corfield wrote:

I immediately rang London Buses, once I was released from my mobile
prison, to complain. The LB representative called Arriva Buses and
had a radio instruction issued to remind drivers of the ruling. On
planned diversions - as yours was because it was advertised on the
TfL website in advance - then drivers MUST stop at all stops. The
driver in your case was wrong.

Interesting. Is that a Central London thing? Slightly OT but still relevant
in that it affects Arriva Buses: the X15 service between Milton Keynes and
Aylesbury went over to double-deck buses a few months ago. However, on
leaving Leighton Buzzard there is a low bridge under the West Coast Main
Line railway which is physically high enough for double-deck buses but
requires some paperwork alterations to alter the current height limit to
legally allow them (according to Arriva, anyway, and I've seen empty buses
go through - so, logically, a loaded bus which sits lower ought to be able
to get through). Buses are currently diverted as they leave Leighton
Buzzard, skipping three stops on the Wing Road, including the one serving
Leighton Buzzard railway station, which is actually in Linslade - but that's
another story. They pass the end of the station approach road (even closer
than the official stop), then negotiate the housing estates of Linslade
village on existing bus routes (passing even closer to the opposite side of
the station, where there is a public footbridge) and all the stops, before
picking up their original route. This is a planned diversion that has been
advertised and is effective for the foreseeable future. Nevertheless, the
buses are (officially!) *not* permitted to stop at any of the stops on the
diversion - with the result that if you arrive at Leighton Buzzard railway
station with luggage (or not) you now have a half-mile walk in either
direction to reach a point at which you can actually board a bus. This seems
to be the standing instruction to Arriva Buses drivers on this service - but
it contradicts the advice which you quote for London.

Steve Fitzgerald August 15th 06 02:49 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

In message .com,
Mizter T writes

It'd be great if drivers could give an announcement over the PA system
- if available - before a diversion occurs. I've found myself on number
12's going south the two past weekends which have had a short diversion
over Lambeth Bridge instead of Waterloo Bridge (closed for roadworks
southbound only). A wave of confusion sweeps across the bus when this
happens (it's interesting to watch people's faces!) and I find myself
explaining to nearby fellow passengers that it's just a diversion. I
guess the fact they might be mildly intoxicated doesn't necessarily help!

I was on an N50 a few weeks ago when Prince Regent Lane was closed. The
driver did this very thing, even coming upstairs to ensure that
everybody knew he wasn't going down PRL.

And then he dropped us at the stop at the end of the road - very nice
man!

Adrian August 15th 06 02:58 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

Paul Weaver ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Ah, if only there was such a thing as a bus with an open platform you
could just hop on and off as required...

Perhaps a bus with a smaller turning circle than the current buses,
enabling them to move quickly arround the narrow London streets
without causing major blockages to multiple lanes, and in the case of
bendy buses, and even the normal ones.

Perhaps you could somehow segregate the driver from passangers, as in
trains, allowing the driver to concentrate fully on the road instead
of checking tickets? Maybe a guard could be employed, as on trains, to
check and sell tickets, and assist passangers (which the driver can't
do)?

If you can't afford a guard on every bus, have a "buy before boarding"
policy, and enforce with RPIs like on the trains and bendy buses that
we have.

Heck, you could even make it twice the height and half the length. If
you're *really* clever, you could even build it using aircraft technology
to make it very lightweight and fuel efficient.

does anyone know of a bus that would fill those requirements?

If such a thing existed, it'd quickly become an icon of the city, I reckon.

Paul Corfield August 15th 06 03:04 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:20:26 GMT, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

I immediately rang London Buses, once I was released from my mobile
prison, to complain. The LB representative called Arriva Buses and
had a radio instruction issued to remind drivers of the ruling. On
planned diversions - as yours was because it was advertised on the
TfL website in advance - then drivers MUST stop at all stops. The
driver in your case was wrong.

Interesting. Is that a Central London thing?

It's a rule applicable to TfL services - this is the only context that
my comments should be applied to. The explanation came from another bus
based discussion group.

I have no idea what policy exists for other companies. I would have
naively assumed that being profit seeking companies they would adopt the
most customer friendly option but your example suggests otherwise.
--
Paul C

Paul Corfield August 15th 06 03:06 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:20:25 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

kytelly wrote:

the driver said he had disabled the emergancy door releases.

That has to be illegal! If he'd had a heart attack, how would anyone have
got off?

I don't actually believe that what he said he had done, he had actually
done. I have never heard of a bus having such functionality - safety
being the main reason why.
--
Paul C

Larry Lard August 15th 06 03:07 PM

kytelly wrote:
[...]

I recall a story from the Atlanta Olympics in 1996. There were huge
traffic problems, and some British journalists found themselves stuck on
an official press transfer bus, with no prospect of moving. The driver
was adamant that he would not open the doors, since the bus was not at a
stop.

The journalists' simple solution was to light cigarettes. They were
immediately ejected from the bus...

--
Larry Lard

The address is real, but unread - please reply to the group

Joe Patrick August 15th 06 04:47 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

It was a bendy. Does anyone know if they can be turned off then or if
the driver was talking through his hat?

I'm more surprised you've found a bus driver that's willing to speak! ;-)

Joe Patrick August 15th 06 04:51 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

Perhaps a bus with a smaller turning circle than the current buses,
enabling them to move quickly arround the narrow London streets without
causing major blockages to multiple lanes, and in the case of bendy
buses, and even the normal ones.

Perhaps you could somehow segregate the driver from passangers, as in
trains, allowing the driver to concentrate fully on the road instead of
checking tickets? Maybe a guard could be employed, as on trains, to
check and sell tickets, and assist passangers (which the driver can't
do)?

If you can't afford a guard on every bus, have a "buy before boarding"
policy, and enforce with RPIs like on the trains and bendy buses that
we have.

does anyone know of a bus that would fill those requirements?

Sounds like the monstrosity of the Ftr that's running in York -
http://www.goftr.com/.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ftr.

asdf August 15th 06 06:11 PM

On 15 Aug 2006 06:22:32 -0700, Mizter T wrote:

Emerency exit buttons cannot be disabled, but as a poster has pointed
out elsewhere they can be counter-acted by the driver pressing and
holding the close button. I've seen shady characters use them on
multiple occasions to get off the bus. One should bear in mind that
using the emergency exit button will be against the rules so you could
conceivably end up in trouble for using it in a non-emergency.

Really? Is it actually illegal?

Mizter T August 15th 06 07:45 PM

asdf wrote:

On 15 Aug 2006 06:22:32 -0700, Mizter T wrote:

Emerency exit buttons cannot be disabled, but as a poster has pointed
out elsewhere they can be counter-acted by the driver pressing and
holding the close button. I've seen shady characters use them on
multiple occasions to get off the bus. One should bear in mind that
using the emergency exit button will be against the rules so you could
conceivably end up in trouble for using it in a non-emergency.

Really? Is it actually illegal?

It would appear so. Section 4.5 of TfL's Conditions of Carriage [1]
states:

-----
"For safety reasons, on our buses, in our bus stations and on London
Underground stations and trains you must not:
[...]
* use emergency exits except in an emergency or when instructed to do
so by our staff.

You may be prosecuted for disobeying these requirements.

Additionally:
* on our bus services, you must board or alight from the vehicle only
at official bus stops except in places where we advertise the bus
service as being operated as 'hail and ride'
-----

Also if you look at page 3 of the Conditions of Carriage you'll find a
list of other documents (statutes, regulations and byelaws) that "set
out your rights and duties in other particular circumstances".

Of particular relevance to bus travel is the "Public Service Vehicle
(Conduct of Drivers, Inspectors, Conductors and Passengers) Regulations
1990 (as amended in 2002) ('the Conduct Regulations')".

And no, I haven't read the aforementioned regulations, but I guess they
might have something to say about how passengers shouldn't use
emergency exits when there isn't an emergency.

[1]
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...y06.pdf#page=8

Every Strangers Eyes August 16th 06 05:58 PM

kytelly wrote:
[...]

Tell the driver you're going to throw up. They soon let you off.

Martin Underwood August 16th 06 07:56 PM

Every Strangers Eyes wrote in message
:

I got off the bus feeling very self rightous but what are peoples
thoughts on this?

Tell the driver you're going to throw up. They soon let you off.

It's worth a try, especially if you go up to his cab and lean in towards him
as you say it!!!

When buses are on a planned diversion, so the drivers make any effort to
warn the passengers beforehand, so as to say "this is the last stop [before
the diversion] where you can get off for the next n miles"? Silly question -
I'm sure they don't - that would involve thinking of their passengers' needs
before the needs of Health and Safety.

Martin Underwood August 16th 06 07:57 PM

Martin Underwood wrote in message
:

Every Strangers Eyes wrote in message
:

I got off the bus feeling very self rightous but what are peoples
thoughts on this?

Tell the driver you're going to throw up. They soon let you off.

It's worth a try, especially if you go up to his cab and lean in
towards him as you say it!!!

When buses are on a planned diversion, so the drivers make any effort
to warn the passengers beforehand, so as to say "this is the last
stop [before the diversion] where you can get off for the next n
miles"? Silly question - I'm sure they don't - that would involve
thinking of their passengers' needs before the needs of Health and
Safety.

Sorry, that should read "When buses are on a planned diversion, DO the
drivers make any effort..."

Mizter T August 16th 06 08:18 PM

Martin Underwood wrote:

[...]

Occasionally they do, more often than not they don't. Would be great if
it became standard practice.

Nobody, apart from you, has made any connection to health and safety
rules precluding drivers making announcements. Basic common sense would
suggest that as buses are now often fitted with PA systems there is no
such exclusion. Basic common sense would also suggest that
announcements are not best made when a driver is negotiating a
difficult section of road.

The lack of announcements woud appear to be a case of poor practice,
perhaps in part because the lack of PA systems until recently means
there hasn't been time for such a good practice to emerge, rather a
result of the ever present H&S gremlin that many appear to believe is
perpetually lurking in the shadows pulling the strings on order to
frustrate them.

Peter Frimberley August 16th 06 11:59 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

On 15 Aug 2006 06:22:32 -0700, "Mizter T" wrote:

One should bear in mind that
using the emergency exit button will be against the rules so you could
conceivably end up in trouble for using it in a non-emergency.

Any subsequent investigation or charges would get the driver in
trouble for not allowing passengers off or warning of the diversion as
he should, so I'd be completely fine with that.

Aidan Stanger August 17th 06 01:15 AM

Neil Williams wrote:

Joe Patrick wrote:

Is it actually possible - not only does such a button actually exist,

No, but (assuming it wasn't a bendy, where I believe the releases
aren't just another door button but actually unlock something) the
driver could sit there and keep pressing the close button. I've seen
this done to stop kids getting on after messing with the release button
on the outside.

I once saw a passenger use the emergency door release to open the front
door when the bus had stopped at the traffic lights at Bexleyheath, a
few metres short of the bus interchange! The driver didn't need to use
the close button, as the passenger pushed the close button a second or
two later as he stepped off.

--
Aidan Stanger
http://www.bettercrossrail.co.uk

Paul Cummins August 17th 06 07:25 AM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

In article . com,
(Mizter T) wrote:

And no, I haven't read the aforementioned regulations, but I guess
they might have something to say about how passengers shouldn't use
emergency exits when there isn't an emergency.

Do they define emergency?

--
Paul Cummins

**FREE** mobile phones, with FREE line rental
http://www.gstgroup.co.uk/

Colin Rosenstiel August 17th 06 09:14 AM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

In article ,
(Paul Cummins) wrote:

In article . com,
(Mizter T) wrote:

And no, I haven't read the aforementioned regulations, but I
guess they might have something to say about how passengers
shouldn't use emergency exits when there isn't an emergency.

Do they define emergency?

A need to emerge?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

David Boothroyd August 17th 06 07:07 PM

(Aidan Stanger) wrote:

I once saw a passenger use the emergency door release to open the front
door when the bus had stopped at the traffic lights at Bexleyheath, a
few metres short of the bus interchange! The driver didn't need to use
the close button, as the passenger pushed the close button a second or
two later as he stepped off.

On a 436 bendy on the Vauxhall Bridge Road I saw several people jump
out after one had used the emergency door release. They had all
spotted the masses of ticket inspectors who were doing their regular
monthly fare-dodging check.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"We can also agree that Saddam Hussein most certainly has chemical and biolog-

Dave Arquati August 18th 06 11:53 AM

Mizter T wrote:
Martin Underwood wrote:

[...]

I think announcements when driving conditions permit would be a big
bonus. I've noticed some bendy bus drivers making them. I'd really
appreciate announcements that a bus is going to terminate short -
sometimes they change destination mid-route without telling anyone,
which is extremely frustrating.

The new iBus system should take care of routine announcements for
upcoming stops.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Mizter T August 18th 06 12:47 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

Dave Arquati wrote:

(snip)

I think announcements when driving conditions permit would be a big
bonus. I've noticed some bendy bus drivers making them. I'd really
appreciate announcements that a bus is going to terminate short -
sometimes they change destination mid-route without telling anyone,
which is extremely frustrating.

The new iBus system should take care of routine announcements for
upcoming stops.

That said sometimes the announcements can be confusing in themselves. I
was on a number 12 going north when the driver received instructions to
stop short of his destination - his announcement was along the lines of
"this bus will no longer be going to Oxford, it will now be terminating
at Trafalgar, to go to Oxford please get on the bus behind me".

I was left wondering whether if I got on the next I really could get to
Oxford for 80p, albeit taking ages and stopping every quarter of a
mile. Meanwhile I wondered what would happen if I stayed put - would I
be transported to south west Spain, even back to 1805! To be fair
everyone seemed to understand his announcement and dissapointingly
no-one else seemed to be even remotely amused.

Another thing I think is a good practice that's only adopted on some
routes is having a black-on-yellow strip on the destination blind
reading "parrtial route" or something similar. This clearly provides a
visual aid to passengers that the bus isn't going all the way
(IYSWIM!).

I'm not sure about the new iBus system - specifically, about the
automatic announcements that'll be part of the system. It could be
really annoying! Perhaps only key stops could have announcements, such
as full (i.e. non-request) bus stops.

Ian Jelf August 20th 06 07:04 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

In message . com,
Mizter T writes
Another thing I think is a good practice that's only adopted on some
routes is having a black-on-yellow strip on the destination blind
reading "parrtial route" or something similar. This clearly provides a
visual aid to passengers that the bus isn't going all the way (IYSWIM!).

*Does* this system exist "on some routes" in London?! I've seen it
done in Paris but never in London!

(Actually, some form of "flag" to suggest a short working, such as
Travel West midlands' "E" suffix, is I reckon a good, simple idea.)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Dave Arquati August 20th 06 07:59 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

Ian Jelf wrote:
In message . com,
Mizter T writes
Another thing I think is a good practice that's only adopted on some
routes is having a black-on-yellow strip on the destination blind
reading "parrtial route" or something similar. This clearly provides a
visual aid to passengers that the bus isn't going all the way (IYSWIM!).

*Does* this system exist "on some routes" in London?! I've seen it
done in Paris but never in London!

I've seen it done on the 207, when there's a short working from
Shepherd's Bush to Ealing Hospital or Acton Tram Depot; the blind says
the destination with "Part route only" below it in smaller type, all
black-on-yellow.

I think it's very useful, and should be extended to other routes if
possible.

Paul Corfield August 20th 06 08:52 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 20:04:18 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

In message . com,
Mizter T writes
Another thing I think is a good practice that's only adopted on some
routes is having a black-on-yellow strip on the destination blind
reading "parrtial route" or something similar. This clearly provides a
visual aid to passengers that the bus isn't going all the way (IYSWIM!).

*Does* this system exist "on some routes" in London?! I've seen it
done in Paris but never in London!

A quirk of blinds on buses operated by First. There are a number of
special features on them and many of them work rather well. Needless to
say the BBC (Bus Blinds Committee of TfL - I kid you not) is now
stamping on all of this individuality so we can be reduced to the
hopeless dull, uninformative crap that is being seen on new buses on
recently retendered routes. In other words single line destination
displays with no via points and utterly meaningless names for certain
locations - Clapham Park for Streatham Hill, Atkins Rd on the 45s and
the now classic Manor Circus which is really Richmond on the route 493.
This latter one has now been "repealed" by the BBC and Richmond can be
used on route 493 blinds!

(Actually, some form of "flag" to suggest a short working, such as
Travel West midlands' "E" suffix, is I reckon a good, simple idea.)

Yes - it is an elegant solution if you have electronic displays or four
track number blinds. I suspect it would not work on conventional blinds
in London as you'd probably need an E variant for every number which for
some garages would result in blinds that were too big for the blind
boxes.
--
Paul C

Ian Jelf August 20th 06 09:18 PM

Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
A quirk of blinds on buses operated by First. There are a number of
special features on them and many of them work rather well. Needless
to say the BBC (Bus Blinds Committee of TfL - I kid you not)

Boggle

is now stamping on all of this individuality so we can be reduced to
the hopeless dull, uninformative crap that is being seen on new buses
on recently retendered routes. In other words single line destination
displays with no via points and utterly meaningless names for certain
locations - Clapham Park for Streatham Hill, Atkins Rd on the 45s

This single line display with no "via" points is truly *ludicrous*. I
hope it's a fad.

and the now classic Manor Circus which is really Richmond on the route
493. This latter one has now been "repealed" by the BBC and Richmond
can be used on route 493 blinds!

Sanity prevails! Now to work on those "via" points.......