Old August 30th 06, 05:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster nonsense

Paul G wrote:
In message . com, Neil
Williams writes
asdf wrote:

Not really an answer to your question, but TfL don't like unregistered
Oyster users much.

Which is a bit silly, because if they really didn't like the use of
unregistered Oyster cards, they could just make it compulsory to
register when obtaining the card!

That would be a barrier to people agreeing to use Oyster. There are
plenty of people around who think that the State [sic] have too much
information about what people get up to.

In this case, there are benefits for those that register; but those that
chose not to register can enjoy most of the functions of Oyster. Not
registering for Oyster is also quicker for those in a rush when they
first arrive in London (they can register at their convenience later).

£3 fares are already a foreigner tax.

Can you imagine standing behind a queue of tourists trying to
understand the forms just so they they don't get ripped off during
their week's holiday?

Old August 30th 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30 Aug 2006 10:06:34 -0700, "MIG"
wrote:

Can you imagine standing behind a queue of tourists trying to
understand the forms just so they they don't get ripped off during
their week's holiday?

It was in the paper today that they're going to start making Oysters
available to tourists in their home countries before they visit.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old September 1st 06, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

Can you imagine standing behind a queue of tourists trying to
understand the forms just so they they don't get ripped off during
their week's holiday?

It was in the paper today that they're going to start making Oysters
available to tourists in their home countries before they visit.

I'm not sure that that is entirely practical. One ought to be able to
arrive in a country and contribute revenue to its public transport
system without either having to make Web transactions long beforehand
or be ripped off.

Old September 3rd 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
James Farrar wrote:
It was in the paper today that they're going to start making Oysters
available to tourists in their home countries before they visit.

I'm not sure that that is entirely practical. One ought to be able to
arrive in a country and contribute revenue to its public transport
system without either having to make Web transactions long beforehand
or be ripped off.

It doesn't seem like tourists will be /required/ to order their Oysters
in advance -- this will just be another option.

I don't think it's a bad idea to promote Oyster to tourists, given how
few guide books seem to understand London's fare structure.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old September 3rd 06, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David of Broadway" wrote in message
MIG wrote:
James Farrar wrote:
It was in the paper today that they're going to start making Oysters
available to tourists in their home countries before they visit.

I'm not sure that that is entirely practical. One ought to be able to
arrive in a country and contribute revenue to its public transport
system without either having to make Web transactions long beforehand
or be ripped off.

It doesn't seem like tourists will be /required/ to order their Oysters in
advance -- this will just be another option.

I don't think it's a bad idea to promote Oyster to tourists, given how few
guide books seem to understand London's fare structure.

That's hardly a reasonable expectation when the system
has changed (every year) at greater frequency than guide
books are updated (usually every 2)

tim

Old September 3rd 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim (back at home) wrote:
"David of Broadway" wrote in message
I don't think it's a bad idea to promote Oyster to tourists, given how few
guide books seem to understand London's fare structure.

That's hardly a reasonable expectation when the system
has changed (every year) at greater frequency than guide
books are updated (usually every 2)

That doesn't account for guide book claims (both of which I've seen with
my own two eyes) that Oyster is synonymous with Travelcard and that
prepayment is required on driverless buses. (That's right, driverless
buses.)
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old September 5th 06, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

David of Broadway wrote:
tim (back at home) wrote:
"David of Broadway" wrote in message
I don't think it's a bad idea to promote Oyster to tourists, given how few
guide books seem to understand London's fare structure.

That's hardly a reasonable expectation when the system
has changed (every year) at greater frequency than guide
books are updated (usually every 2)

That doesn't account for guide book claims (both of which I've seen with
my own two eyes) that Oyster is synonymous with Travelcard and that
prepayment is required on driverless buses. (That's right, driverless
buses.)

Yeah, they're using them on the 12. One of them nearly got me at
Trafalgar Square recently.

Old September 5th 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
David of Broadway wrote:
tim (back at home) wrote:
"David of Broadway" wrote in message
I don't think it's a bad idea to promote Oyster to tourists, given how few
guide books seem to understand London's fare structure.
That's hardly a reasonable expectation when the system
has changed (every year) at greater frequency than guide
books are updated (usually every 2)

That doesn't account for guide book claims (both of which I've seen with
my own two eyes) that Oyster is synonymous with Travelcard and that
prepayment is required on driverless buses. (That's right, driverless
buses.)

Yeah, they're using them on the 12. One of them nearly got me at
Trafalgar Square recently.

Did you remember to prepay?
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA
Old September 5th 06, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

David of Broadway wrote:
MIG wrote:
David of Broadway wrote:
tim (back at home) wrote:
"David of Broadway" wrote in message
I don't think it's a bad idea to promote Oyster to tourists, given how few
guide books seem to understand London's fare structure.
That's hardly a reasonable expectation when the system
has changed (every year) at greater frequency than guide
books are updated (usually every 2)
That doesn't account for guide book claims (both of which I've seen with
my own two eyes) that Oyster is synonymous with Travelcard and that
prepayment is required on driverless buses. (That's right, driverless
buses.)

Yeah, they're using them on the 12. One of them nearly got me at
Trafalgar Square recently.

Did you remember to prepay?

I'd say I dodged rather more than a fare on that occasion.