Old August 28th 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster nonsense

Just got myself a PAYG Oyster.

I CBA to stand in line at the counter and fill in a form
just to 'protect' my 5 pounds worth of credit.

But I am interested in knowing that it records my
journeys correctly so I go to the website, type in my
number and what do I get "We are unable to provide
this informaton for an unregistered card"

WTF not. Surely I should be as entitled to confirm
that the system has recorded my journeys correctly
as the next person.

tim

Old August 28th 06, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim (back at home) wrote:
Just got myself a PAYG Oyster.

I CBA to stand in line at the counter and fill in a form
just to 'protect' my 5 pounds worth of credit.

But I am interested in knowing that it records my
journeys correctly so I go to the website, type in my
number and what do I get "We are unable to provide
this informaton for an unregistered card"

WTF not. Surely I should be as entitled to confirm
that the system has recorded my journeys correctly
as the next person.

No idea. But if you go to one of the larger ticket tube station
machines (the ones with a big screen) and touch your Oyster on the pad
it will display a listing of your last ten or so journeys. I find that
much easier to check my pre-pay usage than fiddling around on the web.

PaulO

Old August 28th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:12:32 +0100, "tim \(back at home\)"
wrote:

Just got myself a PAYG Oyster.

I CBA to stand in line at the counter and fill in a form
just to 'protect' my 5 pounds worth of credit.

But I am interested in knowing that it records my
journeys correctly so I go to the website, type in my
number and what do I get "We are unable to provide
this informaton for an unregistered card"

WTF not. Surely I should be as entitled to confirm
that the system has recorded my journeys correctly
as the next person.

tim

Probably because of data protection act worries about who might be
tracking your unregistered card.

i.e. because you have elected to leave it unregistered, they cannot be
sure that it's not your stalker ex-girlfriend or evil employer trying
to track you.

If you register the card then it's usage can be tracked through your
online account but the burden for identifying that you are you has
shifted to yourself (i.e. you are expected to take care of the
username and password). With an unregistered card they don't have
those controls.

So rather than leave themselves open to accusation of being careless
with your data, they have maybe just instigated a blanket ban on
providing data for unregistered cards.

Or, it could be that it is simply too soon after the card was first
opened/used?
Old August 29th 06, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

No idea. But if you go to one of the larger ticket tube station
machines (the ones with a big screen) and touch your Oyster on the pad
it will display a listing of your last ten or so journeys. I find that
much easier to check my pre-pay usage than fiddling around on the web.

PaulO

Are you also able to print your journey history using touch screen
ticket machines? I'm sure I read in the most recent copy of 'The
Londoner' that you can get your journey history printed at tube ticket
offices and also using ticket machines. I didn't see this feature on
the machines when I tried last weekend though.

Dominic

Old August 29th 06, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:12:32 +0100, tim (back at home) wrote:

Just got myself a PAYG Oyster.

I CBA to stand in line at the counter and fill in a form
just to 'protect' my 5 pounds worth of credit.

But I am interested in knowing that it records my
journeys correctly so I go to the website, type in my
number and what do I get "We are unable to provide
this informaton for an unregistered card"

WTF not. Surely I should be as entitled to confirm
that the system has recorded my journeys correctly
as the next person.

Not really an answer to your question, but TfL don't like unregistered
Oyster users much. When I called the helpline to get an unresolved
journey fixed, I was flatly told that they wouldn't help me because my
card was unregistered. (Even though when I checked my journey history
on a Tube ticket machine, it said "You have an unresolved journey,
please call the Oyster helpline on...".) This was despite the fact
that the unresolved journey was the fault of the system (rather than,
say, my forgetfulness), and it was obvious by looking at the journey
history what had happened and that there was no attempt at fraud.

This was a year or so ago though, so they may have since changed the
policy.
Old August 30th 06, 07:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:

Not really an answer to your question, but TfL don't like unregistered
Oyster users much.

Which is a bit silly, because if they really didn't like the use of
unregistered Oyster cards, they could just make it compulsory to
register when obtaining the card!

Neil

Old August 30th 06, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, Neil
Williams writes
asdf wrote:

Not really an answer to your question, but TfL don't like unregistered
Oyster users much.

Which is a bit silly, because if they really didn't like the use of
unregistered Oyster cards, they could just make it compulsory to
register when obtaining the card!

That would be a barrier to people agreeing to use Oyster. There are
plenty of people around who think that the State [sic] have too much
information about what people get up to.

In this case, there are benefits for those that register; but those that
chose not to register can enjoy most of the functions of Oyster. Not
registering for Oyster is also quicker for those in a rush when they
first arrive in London (they can register at their convenience later).

--
Paul G
Typing from Barking
Old August 30th 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul G
writes
(they can register at their convenience later).

Now *there's an interesting place to allow registration (and top up)!
:-)

I'll get my coat.......
--
Ian Jelf, MITG